Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a pronounced clunk in first gear when accelerating quickly from a stop. It's almost as pronounced as a gear shifting and has happened three times so far. I hoped it was traction control kicking in or chain slap because roads were cold and tires are new but didn't know for sure. It stays in the current gear and resumes normally after the clunk .Still under 500 miles on the odometer and feeling a bit worried , ok very worried. Whats the chance it may simply be the stock chain adjustment and it jumped/missed a link??? Havent had a motorcycle in a long time and my last one pretty much had an oversized bike chain that didn't give me problems so I wouldnt know. Any personal experience or suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It did happen once when I released the throttle quickly and resumed quickly, loose chain slap???

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just tighten the chain (equal turns on both sides) until you have about 3/4" of up/down movement in the middle using you fingers. Then tighten the locknuts, go for a ride, and try to replicate the noise. At the very least, you'll know your chain isn't loose and you'll have eliminated one possible cause.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is often a "chunk" when you shift into 1st gear. That might not be what you are experiencing. As GPz said, I would also check the play in the chain. The manual tells you how. It isn't hard to do.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If it was me I would't adjust anything. This is a new bike and the dealer is responsible for delivering it adjusted and working properly. Don't give the dealer any reason to blame you for doing something to the bike.

Chico

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it was me I would't adjust anything. This is a new bike and the dealer is responsible for delivering it adjusted and working properly. Don't give the dealer any reason to blame you for doing something to the bike.

Chico
^^^^ This.
Until the warranty expires, don’t mess with it yourself. You’ll be due for your first Service anyway , so make sure you report it.
Feel free to check the chain before and after , however and keep a close eye / ear on it

·
Super Moderator
849 Posts
Transmission clunk is my guide to when I check and adjust the chain... On the Speedy, the chain play is over an inch (just) and needs to be on the slack end of that for nice changes...

·
Registered
712 Posts
In my opinion any grown man who owns a motorcycle should get comfortable adjusting his own drive chain. It's as simple as pie, takes less than five minutes, and there's no way a dealer can prove that you did it. Even if they could, if you don't trust them to have your back in a case like this then shouldn't you find a new dealer?

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
In my opinion any grown man who owns a motorcycle should get comfortable adjusting his own drive chain. It's as simple as pie, takes less than five minutes, and there's no way a dealer can prove that you did it. Even if they could, if you don't trust them to have your back in a case like this then shouldn't you find a new dealer?

-GPz/Gary
I don't think this issue has anything to do with owning and wrenching on ones bike. When one purchases a new vehicle the onus is on the dealer to make sure it's working and performing as its supposed to. Some here are also assuming that it's the chain that is the problem.
Shouldn't the dealer ascertain what is causing the unwanted sound? Shouldn't the dealer get the opportunity to correct the "defect" and make the customer happy with the service?
By the way, adjusting the chain takes more than five minutes.?

Chico

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't think this issue has anything to do with owning and wrenching on ones bike. When one purchases a new vehicle the onus is on the dealer to make sure it's working and performing as its supposed to. Some here are also assuming that it's the chain that is the problem.
Shouldn't the dealer ascertain what is causing the unwanted sound? Shouldn't the dealer get the opportunity to correct the "defect" and make the customer happy with the service?
By the way, adjusting the chain takes more than five minutes.?

Chico
It's certainly on the dealer to initially deliver the machine to the buyer in proper working order but it is very common for a drive chain to get a bit slack prior to the first service. I didn't assume anything but I value my time so if I had any suspicion that my chain might be the source of a "clunk" as the OP suggested I would invest five minutes like any self-respecting male would do, and confirm or refute that hypothesis on-the-spot. If the clunk still happened after the chain was properly adjusted, I would take it to the dealer immediately. In the meantime, I don't owe them an "opportunity" to do anything. I wouldn't take a motorcycle to a dealer to get the chain adjusted any more than I would take it there to adjust the air pressure in the tires. Both are fundamental, frequently needed tasks that any motorcycle owner should be able to easily accomplish. If it seems complicated or takes more than five minutes, I'm sure there is a Girl Scout somewhere in the neighborhood who would be happy to teach proper technique.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
327 Posts
"By the way, adjusting the chain takes more than five minutes.?"

I must be doing something wrong in that case as it takes me a couple of minutes. In any event checking the chain tension takes seconds. If the dealer is any kind of distance away it would to my mind make more sense to check it yourself if necessary and adjust.

If that's not the problem then involve the dealer. The Bobber is pretty clunky going into first and more so if the chain is slack but if you are hearing chain slap that would imply that the chain is really slack and riding it in that condition is not recommended.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It might be the rear brake caliper. They are loose fit and tend to shift slightly when you move off. It took me a while to figure out the random clunk I was getting when setting off, particularly if the bike rolls slightly backwards while the rear brake is applied.

Reactions: GPz

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies , I'll be doing service intervals after the 500 mile stamp gets logged in. I'm going to swap the cam and do my own valve clearance check at 10,000 to save some dough but heard the initial service was important to get logged in. I'm only at 200 now so got maybe 2 weeks till then and will keep it under 4k rpm and be slower shifting. I would like to state it hasn't happened again and the clunk didn't occur while shifting but directly following the shift , I went to slap it into second I got two distinct clunks the gear shifting then another. It was a rather spirited take off both times it manifested, pretty sure it was just loud chain slap probably because it missed a tooth and the chain and gear are still mating each other. I know when the teeth on a gear are new they can do that more easily. Probably shouldn't have let that Lexus taunt me into a 4500 gear shift this short into it's life but live, learn, and don't treat your stuff harshly. I'll keep an ear out for it and get the chain adjusted next week when they check bolt torque levels and drain out the detergent break in oil. If it happens again after this then I'll get worried again but as of now I feel more at ease.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good that you haven’t heard it again but no way it skipped a tooth. The chain would have to be nearly falling off and worn out for that to happen.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
"By the way, adjusting the chain takes more than five minutes.?"

I must be doing something wrong in that case as it takes me a couple of minutes. In any event checking the chain tension takes seconds. If the dealer is any kind of distance away it would to my mind make more sense to check it yourself if necessary and adjust.

If that's not the problem then involve the dealer. The Bobber is pretty clunky going into first and more so if the chain is slack but if you are hearing chain slap that would imply that the chain is really slack and riding it in that condition is not recommended.
Checking the chain is a no brainer and takes less than five minutes. Adjusting is a different matter.

Chico

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just very dramatic chain slap on those three occasions I guess . Now that its tightened up I run it hard and havent had the issue repeat since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts