Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bobber was ordered in April with a suggested delivery for September, but they called me a couple of weeks ago as they had one in stock in the colour I wanted. It may have been ordered for someone else, but I didn't hesitate to hand over the cash. I had originally planned to add the black engine cases, but I didn't want the dealer to fit them. I tracked down the clutch and primary drive covers to a well known Internet auction site for £30 less than retail. However I also wanted the black sprocket cover. I found this (or so I thought) on the World of Triumphs website. Unfortunately I selected a T120 black cover not thinking the Bobber was different. However WOT were excellent and swapped it over for the correct one. I was pleased that the cover comes with a black filler cap as I didn't really want to use the original or spray paint this. I dont know when I will fit the clutch and primary covers. I may wait till after the 500 mile service.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Be aware that there is a sound deadener inside the clutch side cover which requires removal from the existing cover to your new one.
AND on mine the bosses were not drilled and tapped for the bolts. But if your dealer is doing the job it is no biggie.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The covers arrived today. It seems odd that the clutch cover isn't tapped at the factory, but presumably they dont fit the sound deadening deadening device in all markets? Still it shouldn't pose too much of a challenge to tap the 6mm threads. If I had known the kit included two gaskets I wouldn't have bothered buying these separately!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can never go wrong having extra gaskets haha. Be sure to post up some photos after you get it all installed. But can you install the cover back without the sound deadening?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I decided to go ahead and fit the new covers. Having gone to the trouble of tapping 6mm threads for the sound deadening device I was a bit put out to find that the original clutch cover wasn't fitted with one and the holes are untapped. Fitting is fairly straightforward. Getting the clutch lifter back correctly is a bit fiddly as is the stator since there is not a lot of movement in the cable to work with. I like the black covers a lot more than the orignal brushed ones. The finish on these is too easy to mark. Overall money well spent I think.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Looks great! I had ordered those covers when I ordered the bike, but when I saw the bike in person when it arrived I opted to not install the covers. And the dealer was cool and didn't charge me for them. They do look great installed though!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought them from World of Triumph and installed them myself, but if you had it done by a dealer I woould expect them to return the originals to you. You have paid for them after all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Does the clutch cover have to be tapped or can you do it without it and just not swap over the silencer? What does that silencer even silence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the clutch cover have to be tapped or can you do it without it and just not swap over the silencer? What does that silencer even silence?

Good question. Well as I had the tools anyway I tapped the threads in the new cover. However when I removed the factory fitted polished cover it had no sound deadening device fitted and the holes here were untapped as well. So I dont know if this means they dont fit them to the UK models or if the dealer sold me a grey import and didn't tell me. To be honest I dont know. Maybe they dont bother fitting them to Bobbers? Though since I had gone to the trouble to tap the black cover threads I bought the rest of the sound deadening parts to complete the job, but as this consists of a lump of rubber and a steel plate I cant see it does very much. So no you dont need it basically and you dont need to tap the threads.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks that's good to know. I ordered the covers but I don't know nor do I have the tools for tapping so it'll be nice to just do it myself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I hope my sprocket cover comes with the filler cap you have though. I like it with the little bit of Grey and not all black

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you really think if you leaned the bike far enough over you wouldn't have to drain the oil out? Then I wouldn't have to wait to install haha

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to take some bits from the original sprocket cover cap as its only the shell and filler cap you get. As far as leaning it over goes. To be honest I think thats a bad idea. I got a clean container and drained the oil and then reused it. For the toming cover or as it is now the alternator be very careful replacing the grommet where the power wires exits. Its easy for this to slip out of its slot. I found that it was better to loosen off some of the clips holding the wire behind the sprocket cover so you get more freeplay in the wire to work with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts