Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so whilst I have posted the odd picture and got involved in a few threads I have not really documented my build / modifications at all. Without this forum and all of the help people have offered each other I would probably not have done everything I have to my Bobber so far.

So to share it all in one whilst out on a ride today I took a few pics and will summarise all of the changes below :smile2:

• Triumph Short Front Fender
  • Triumph Throttle Body Cover - Black
  • Motone Gear Shifter Lever End Peg - Ribbed - Brass
  • Motone Billet Disc Brake Oil Reservoir Master Cylinder Cap - Black
  • Motone Points ACG Cover - Ribbed - Brass Finish
  • Motone Carb/Throttle Body Cover - Ribbed - Brass Coat
  • Motone Clutch Badge - Ribbed - Brass Finish
  • Motone Vintage Hot Forged Brass Chain Adjuster Kit
  • Motone Brass Bobbins - Paddock Stand Fixing Kit
  • Motone Custom Billet Indicator Turn Signals - Black
  • Motone Indicator/Turn Signal Brackets
  • Motone Monza Cap Kit for Triumph and HD - Brass Plate
  • Motone Wrap-Around Fork Indicator Turn Signal Bracket Clamps
  • Motone Triumph Turn Signal Wiring Adapter x 2 sets
  • Motone X-Pipe Cat-Delete Exhaust System
  • Trident Exhaust
  • Wunderkind Horn Relocation Kit
  • Carbon Vinyl Wrap to black out white backside of UK Street Legal Plate
  • Some Brass Mesh to replace the Triumph Silver (eBay)
  • CTEK Charger Lead (for the winter)
  • Mr Luckys Brass Bolt Collection (Various)
  • Alex Customs Bobber Saddle
  • Wilbers 640 Nightline Black
I am not going to kid myself and say I am all done, no doubt there are many more tweaks to come but for now a thanks to everyone who has shared ideas on this forum !

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Unkle Chopz,

I must say it looks bad ass, how are you finding the Alex Leather Craft seat, hopefully not too bad ass in the comfort stakes? :wink2:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Unkle Chopz,

I must say it looks bad ass, how are you finding the Alex Leather Craft seat, hopefully not too bad ass in the comfort stakes? :wink2:
The saddle is good it helps by giving you a bit more room to move about. The other huge factor is the Wilbers it has totally transformed the ride so the combo works a treat !

I would recommend this path for sure :smile2:

·
Registered
450 Posts
That seat looks good. Tried to find his website, but it is currently down... Did you order via email from him? And can I ask the dimensions of it? Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That seat looks good. Tried to find his website, but it is currently down... Did you order via email from him? And can I ask the dimensions of it? Thanks.
You are at the right site I just checked https://leathercraft24.com/ and see there is some maintenance going on. They are a great bunch I have two saddles from them and always direct from the site so would expect them to be back online soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered a custom pattern seat from Him, and had to do it via Facebook.

Apparently the had some sort of cyber attack, and it killed their server. He said they are working on a fix, and a new server.
Oh wow that sucks but they are cool and deliver quality product so hopefully you enjoy your saddle when it arrives :grin2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just ordered a custom pattern seat from Him, and had to do it via Facebook.

Apparently the had some sort of cyber attack, and it killed their server. He said they are working on a fix, and a new server.

Happy with my Alex LeatherCraft job. Seat was just a bit to light in colour shade for my liking, especially the stitching so I massaged it with a few coats of dark (furniture restorers) Canuba dressing wax with oils . And yes the arse comfort factor is possibly not as good as a Mother Road Customs seat, but by adding the spring seat mod sorted most of those issues. Even so, over Easter did a 4 hour each way ride camping and survived the journey without too much P-I-T-A discomfort or numbing. For me it was more about the looks.

Crikey, when one reflects on the suspension (nil) and seat options veteran riders had to put up travelling across state and coast to coast on unsealed roads, we spoil ourselves these days.

IMPORTANT: If anyone else is considering ordering from Alex, make mention of the need to have longer front bolts. Standard they are just too short to secure a reasonable nut purchase on the thread,. Another 1/2"would be more than suffice. You might like to quote the distance spacing between bolts too, as otherwise as you'll need to machine the Bobber post to accommodate. I did 'heads-up' Alex with the measurements, don't know if he's added them to file for future orders specific to our model.

My recommendations as per below.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
In my conversations with him he informed me that they have just finished a Bobber specific seat (pan) so I'm guessing they have addressed the bolt length issue. I imagine I will find out.

This is their first test seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, suppose it was partly my fault the seat didn't fit as I assumed the front mounting bolt measurements were pretty much universal but nope. Maybe it's a Triumph thing.

I was champing at the bit in anticipation of the seat arriving and when it did, came in it's own bag along with a complimentary bottle of German wine.

So on the day it was down to the garage, spanners in hand then DUH - don't fit! No big deal. Lucky a mate of mine (quick phone call) has a vertical mill so I whipped it around to have the post slot machined and extended to fit. Later that evening I got to sit on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK so whilst I have posted the odd picture and got involved in a few threads I have not really documented my build / modifications at all. Without this forum and all of the help people have offered each other I would probably not have done everything I have to my Bobber so far.

So to share it all in one whilst out on a ride today I took a few pics and will summarise all of the changes below :smile2:

• Triumph Short Front Fender
  • Triumph Throttle Body Cover - Black
  • Motone Gear Shifter Lever End Peg - Ribbed - Brass
  • Motone Billet Disc Brake Oil Reservoir Master Cylinder Cap - Black
  • Motone Points ACG Cover - Ribbed - Brass Finish
  • Motone Carb/Throttle Body Cover - Ribbed - Brass Coat
  • Motone Clutch Badge - Ribbed - Brass Finish
  • Motone Vintage Hot Forged Brass Chain Adjuster Kit
  • Motone Brass Bobbins - Paddock Stand Fixing Kit
  • Motone Custom Billet Indicator Turn Signals - Black
  • Motone Indicator/Turn Signal Brackets
  • Motone Monza Cap Kit for Triumph and HD - Brass Plate
  • Motone Wrap-Around Fork Indicator Turn Signal Bracket Clamps
  • Motone Triumph Turn Signal Wiring Adapter x 2 sets
  • Motone X-Pipe Cat-Delete Exhaust System
  • Trident Exhaust
  • Wunderkind Horn Relocation Kit
  • Carbon Vinyl Wrap to black out white backside of UK Street Legal Plate
  • Some Brass Mesh to replace the Triumph Silver (eBay)
  • CTEK Charger Lead (for the winter)
  • Mr Luckys Brass Bolt Collection (Various)
  • Alex Customs Bobber Saddle
  • Wilbers 640 Nightline Black
I am not going to kid myself and say I am all done, no doubt there are many more tweaks to come but for now a thanks to everyone who has shared ideas on this forum !
Did you ever happen to make a list of the bolt #/threads/lengths for the engine case covers. I want to do that.. Also how is the color match ? The pic makes it look a bit more gold in color than brass. I was looking for Mr luckys website, but I was not lucky. :)

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
I would have thought Brass far too soft for duty on a bike. Brass plating is fine (or gold for that matter:grin2:) but you need steel for the body material.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you ever happen to make a list of the bolt #/threads/lengths for the engine case covers. I want to do that.. Also how is the color match ? The pic makes it look a bit more gold in color than brass. I was looking for Mr luckys website, but I was not lucky. :)
It is WIP but I have not completed by any means. I tried a few suppliers with my initial list with mixed results from... can’t do that size mate... to, yes can do that but it will cost £$¥€ way too much...

I will finish the list and then look at supplier options as I fancy matching black and gold/brass in a multitude of places from a consistent supply so that they all look the same

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok. Thanks. I went ahead and made a list tonight of the screws I wanted to turn gold/brass (attached). I didnt list any screws I thought were critical to supporting something heavily torqued or structural. The engine casing screws are a very low torque value (I'm guessing maybe 15-20), and the others are decorative or hold decorative plates on. Hopefully that list helps someone.

I saw that list on ebay. I've been looking into various suppliers too, and man, this stuff is expensive! The ebay add is actually pretty well priced when you get into it. I'll rpobably go that route, although I dotn love hte straightt hex head type bolt. Was looking for something more interesting, but thats a detail, and I'm not paying $5/bolt, thats crazy. Its a shame the titanium stuff is so pricey, some nice gold ones in that realm.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unkle, did your engine case bolts ever patina a bit from gold to brass in tone? I bought a set off ebay and they are 100% gold color, but I'm assured they are solid brass.

I have one sitting in vinegar now to see if I can hasten the aging process

1 - 19 of 19 Posts