Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to give up and eat a hamburger. Will pics of some cool exhaust options and luggage storage options when finished!

Attachments

Reactions: eisen77

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Exhaust stuff, rack, plate lights finished. ☺

Attachments

Reactions: Siggs and eisen77

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With 20L waterproof Kriega, stuffed with packing paper for reference. I think the setup with the swing arm bag would work perfect for weekend trips, as the Kierga can expand further.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks much better than the images on hepco beckers site. Nice luggage solution.

What do you estimate is the mount/demounting time after some experience?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Can we have rack details please.
Is it the Hepco item?

I love the space and shapes behind the seat, however, for a trip, it looks like a good temporary solution.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks much better than the images on hepco beckers site. Nice luggage solution.

What do you estimate is the mount/demounting time after some experience?
The entire assembly uses 4 bolts in total:. Two of the forward seat bolts and two of the air filter housing assembly bolts under the seat.

I kept my original T45 and 12mm bolts (the rack comes with new ones) and just put them in a small zip lock in my swing arm bag.

Total time to install and/or remove: 5-7mins.

I'm removing it until later this month, as I won't be needing it until then. B

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can we have rack details please.
Is it the Hepco item?

I love the space and shapes behind the seat, however, for a trip, it looks like a good temporary solution.
Yes, it's the Hepco rack.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have been BUSY!!!
Exhaust give you any trouble?
The exhaust was a pain in the rump, however, I figured out an x-pipe trick that makes it sound, in my opinion, much better. It took 8 hours because my first attempt I didn't like the sound... Too choppy. If you listen to YouTube install videos, you can hear a minor exhaust leak in every one I heard when I played back the recording though my MacBooks stereo speakers.

It is imperative to pry out the aluminum expansion rings from the OEM catalytic converter and retrofit them inside the x-pipe with sealant. See pics below. Otherwise, the x-pipe fits fine and feels secure without them, but you can hear the difference. It was a subtle difference, but to my ear a subtle difference is a big deal.

Also... I would strongly encourage EVERYONE to check the torque on both header bolts on each side. The inside bolts were almost completely lose when I went to loosen them. I was alarmed actually over just how many lose bolts I found throughout my bike. Granted it was a brand new bike, so I can't find anyone at fault, but doing the install myself made me realize how important it is to check torque basically throughout the entire bike after the first couple hundred miles.

Attachments

Reactions: AirCooled

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh one last thing, a pallet jack makes a lousy motorcycle stand.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Kinda glad I didn't commit to Saturday.. not because of you having issues..
My wife picked up a screw in her car tire.. spent most of the morning / afternoon dealing with that..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda glad I didn't commit to Saturday.. not because of you having issues..
My wife picked up a screw in her car tire.. spent most of the morning / afternoon dealing with that..
No worries, it wasn't bad at all and a good exercise. At least it was only a screw and not a screwdriver. This is Savannah after all. I had to take evasive action the other day to avoid hitting a wooden crate on 204 full of what appeared to be candy canes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The entire assembly uses 4 bolts in total:. Two of the forward seat bolts and two of the air filter housing assembly bolts under the seat.

I kept my original T45 and 12mm bolts (the rack comes with new ones) and just put them in a small zip lock in my swing arm bag.

Total time to install and/or remove: 5-7mins.

I'm removing it until later this month, as I won't be needing it until then. B
Does the rack use the back air box cover bolts? I have indicator brackets going there, so wondering if this rack is an option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the rack use the back air box cover bolts? I have indicator brackets going there, so wondering if this rack is an option.
Yes, it does use those bolts as mounting points.

Interestingly, the rack did come with longer bolts for those two locations. I expect the reason for the inclusion of longer bolts was perhaps due to knowing some people use those fastening locations for indicators. Can you post a photo of your indicators, and one indicator close up? I'll be able to tell you very quickly if the rack is compatible.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, it does use those bolts as mounting points.

Interestingly, the rack did come with longer bolts for those two locations. I expect the reason for the inclusion of longer bolts was perhaps due to knowing some people use those fastening locations for indicators. Can you post a photo of your indicators, and one indicator close up? I'll be able to tell you very quickly if the rack is compatible.
Bike is in the shop atm having said indicators and other things done. Hopefully get it back later this week! Certainly will post up a pic then, appreciate it, rathead!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts