Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, coming up on 500 miles...only 35 left to go.Called to make the appt this morning...

The service guy said to try NOT to go over 500 miles by much as the fluids in it are the break in fluids w/ cleaners and are supposed to be changed at the 500. So the ride up to the dealer would take up that remaining mileage to the 500…boo…Didn’t realize it would be that critical, and sounds like riding, except for small run to the grocery store or something, is out for me till that’s done.

And it costs like 300 bucks!!!!!!!! They go over every nut and bolt, adjust the chain, change all the fluids, check for leaks, etc.

Def bummed as the appt isn't until April 22.....I didn't realize it would be that stringent on not going over 500 miles.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
The main thing is getting that oil out and going over all of the nuts and bolts. I've heard a lot of times that bikes have bolts that are a fair amount loose by the first service time.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's basically what the service guy told me (regarding the bolts/nuts). Plus they want to take a look and make sure that the bike is a-ok, no factory defects, etc. At least so I am told.
I'll do all the maintenance after the 1st go around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The manual actually states your first service at 500 miles and subsequent service is based on odometer reading and Time Period, whichever comes first. So I plan to have my bike serviced in a month after I took delivery. I will not have the 500 miles accumulated by then.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always do my first service at the dealer just in case. After that I do my own. It is expensive but it's important to have on record in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had it done today. 60 mile round trip in the rain in the 50s. Dealer said they wouldn't be able to get to it till early May if I didn't get in today so sucked it up and went. My afternoon will be filled with cleaning a very dirty scoot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The service manager for my Bobber's 500 mile service, said this was their first Bobber service. I had the impression they had sold maybe 10 Bobbers. They are proud to be a Triumph "Black" level dealership. He complained that they had to make tools to be able to do the job
He said the service was WAY more work than they had anticipated and that he would not be charging so little ($330 out the door) again.

I wasn't able to determine how much time was actually spent on my bike's service and how much on fixing the fuel gauge problem (not yet fixed). But my appt. was at 10:00 and at 17:00 he was out taking a test ride. I haven't gotten it back yet as I said I'll wait on the fuel gauge fix.

Another dealer I called quoted $150-$175 and 90 minutes service including oil change kit.

A third dealer quoted $150 +$83 for oil change kit and 90 minute service.

My dealer (I selected because he is near me and before calling any other place) said the others aren't doing all the "Blue Sheet" items required for that service. I'll post the Blue Sheet when I get it.

I'm just passing this information on to the forum for what its worth.
No cause for alarm. Not trying to start a controversy, No judgements being made. Just simple facts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Booking my 1st service was such a long wait that I was concerned that I would go too far over the 500 miles, or would have to lay it up until the service.
I had a word with my Triumph dealer, they had a word with Triumph, and word came back that it was good for 700 miles, but not to exceed that.
It went in for its 1st service last week with 640 miles on the clock, no problem.
Running sweet at as nut since then. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same concerns as well and I had called the dealer; they told me not to exceed 500 by much so I had to park it for about a week. That's the main reason why I chose to do the rain trip cause I didn't want wait any longer.

Good that your dealer was able to get that info from Triumph.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Kind of a hijack but does not really warrant a new thread so....

The manual is a little vague with just this

Do not ride at speeds greater than
3/4 of maximum engine speed

Now I'm keeping around the 3500rpm with the odd overtake up to maybe 4500 rpm on my morning GP ride errrr commute through London - the redline is somewhere around 6200rpm i think so 4500 is still just safe.

What did you all run the rpm at during break in?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had my first service this afternoon. €170 for 45 minutes work (I waited so I know). Does seem to running a bit sweeter, or is that my head trying to justify the €170?!

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kind of a hijack but does not really warrant a new thread so....

The manual is a little vague with just this

Do not ride at speeds greater than
3/4 of maximum engine speed

Now I'm keeping around the 3500rpm with the odd overtake up to maybe 4500 rpm on my morning GP ride errrr commute through London - the redline is somewhere around 6200rpm i think so 4500 is still just safe.

What did you all run the rpm at during break in?
I went over 4k rpms only a few times. I tried to keep it by the manual. I tried to change gears often and not keep it at the same speed for a prolonged time.

It's 6 to one and half a dozen to another. Eisen didn't follow the manual at all, and he has no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had my first service this afternoon. €170 for 45 minutes work (I waited so I know). Does seem to running a bit sweeter, or is that my head trying to justify the €170?!
Seems like it was cheaper for you! Mine was over 300 bucks, and with the current exchange rate, sounds like you got a good deal.

Mine was about an hour and half.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems like it was cheaper for you! Mine was over 300 bucks, and with the current exchange rate, sounds like you got a good deal.

Mine was about an hour and half.
If the service took 90 minutes, it would seem to me that the dealer was just trying to justify the cost! Looking at the list of items for attention on the first service, it wouldn't take me longer than an hour. Unless there was something that needed fixing.

I did get a 10% discount on the normal price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer, National Power sports in Concord, NH (ISA), doesn't charge for the first service on bike's it sells. No 'dealer fee' at time of sale either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was afraid of going over 500 Miles as well, but the dealer told me I could go up to 1000 Miles. The wait for the appointment was long. My service got done in about hour and fifteen minutes. Ended up paying around 320 USD for everything.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re-reading this thread made me think 'WTF??'

Every bike i have ever bought new in the UK has always been free labour just pay for consumables on the 1st service, i really hope that's not changed or me and the dealer are going to have a big falling out lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re-reading this thread made me think 'WTF??'

Every bike i have ever bought new in the UK has always been free labour just pay for consumables on the 1st service, i really hope that's not changed or me and the dealer are going to have a big falling out lol
Yep, that's how it should be, but not in France.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts