Triumph Bobber Forum banner

30 years since rebirth

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mysftail 
#1 ·
Guys, this month makes 30 years since triumphs re-birth. They pumping out bout 60000 units a year. Yeeeees.

#5 ·
I recall the magazine article (I think it was in Motorcyclist) about Bloor buying the brand and hiring engineers to formulate "bin" bikes, models with similar engines (but different states of tune) and components on different frames to make specific 'models.' How times and the company have changed, and not. I do think it's fascinating they dropped the 4 cylinder bikes from the lineup (too Japanese) to concentrate on the nostalgic 2 and 3 cylinder motif to distinguish their brand .

#6 ·
From Wiki:

While attending the auction of the site of the former Triumph factory to buy the site for house construction, Bloor bought the collapsed Triumph brand in 1983.[5] After sub-licensing the brand for a period, he invested over £80 million into rebuilding the marque, opening the new Hinckley factory in 1991.[6] After a factory fire in 2002 stopped production the factory was rebuilt, and now produces 46,000 motorcycles per annum

#8 · (Edited)
Bought a Speed Triple just 4years after they restarted and I’ve still got it in the garage. 😎

Back in the day everyone thought Bloor was mad, even the bike press was highly sceptical and often openly hostile. The general consensus was - British manufacturing was in decline and Japanese clearly made the best bikes, how could a house builder possibly hope to resurrect the British bike industry?

Well he proved them all wrong and why he hasn’t been knighted for his efforts I’ve got no idea!
Tire Wheel Dog Automotive tire Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#9 ·
I too am really pleased with Mr. Bloor and the whole Triumph story. I think it is amazing that they focused on building mass-market bikes (if there is such a thing in motorcycling now) rather than the rich-man's-toy approach of making one-offs with an old name slapped on them. Triumph now have a competitive bike in almost all road market sections. They've pulled off the holy trinity of R&D, marketing and production. Great job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.