Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been tinkering on the bike a little here and there all winter long, and I'm just about ready to get her on the road, but I have a couple of outstanding issues I'm hoping some of you can help with. I've replaced my factory mirrors with ones that mount closer to the controls, however this means there's a gap between the end of my grips and the bar ends. Normally it would be easy enough to slide them down, but my heated grips have 2 screws holding them in place. I'm nervous about trying to tap new holes because it's been years since I've tapped a hole and I don't want to screw them up. Has anyone come up with any alternatives? If not and you tapped new holes, can you please share the bit size for the drill bit and tap?

Second is that I put a brand new, fully charged battery into my bike and turned the key and it's dead. Briefly there was a red light blinking on the gauge, but that went out after a few minutes. I believe my connections are all correct and verified the kill switch wasn't activated. I can't think of what else could keep it from coming alive. Any ideas on what I might be missing? I was hoping to get on the road this weekend, but now I'm worried there's something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Probably something simple mate! Did you check all the connections on the new battery to make sure you didn’t miss any negative or positive ring terminals?

I think the red blinking light is the alarm isn’t it? I could be wrong though. I’d check the main fuse and also the other fuses just in case (if they are easy to get to).

i guess there’s also a very small chance the new battery is a duff although I imagine that’s unlikely.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Does is make the boot up sounds when you turn key. Is it just the red light flash.
Did you remember to pull in the clutch (we have all done it)

No power is nearly always battery. Check connections and put a voly meter on it. New batteries can be faulty

·
Super Moderator
849 Posts
If you had a new battery, did you bench charge it before installation? Easy quick check multimeter on 20v scale, check voltage across batt terminals. If that's showing more than about 10V, then get the charger on!

As an aside an electrically unwashed friend had a worrying symptom on his boat. Had had a new leisure battery, when he switched the electrics on his voltmeter displayed 5V... Now that's either a dead short somewhere as a worst case. So I put my keks on the outside and my cape on and got down to his boat with my DC clamp meter (looking for a high current drain for the dead short). No current. Meter across the batt terminals, 13.6V... Dismantled the connections and a lot of corrosion, so a quick brass wire brush,, and all was good to go!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies, guys. No startup sounds at all. The gauge should light up and sweep even with the clutch out. The dealership pulled my old battery out and just stuck all of the wires and straps inside the battery box, so I suppose it's possible I missed something. I'll check the battery with a multimeter too. Anything is possible at this point.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check the battery connections look for disconnected wires loose connections. Test battery. if ok. Try to start and see if effects voltage reading.
battery issues can make a bike do all sorts of crazy ****

·
Super Moderator
1,128 Posts
Also, there's no way the bike itself is 'dead'. Even if the ECU failed, the lights would still work, the horn etc. If the whole bike seems dead then power isn't getting to it. Test the battery, connections, fuses. Get a multimeter set to 20v DC, clip the negative terminal onto the negative of the battery, and then use the tip of the positive connector, start at the positive terminal of the battery and trace where power actually gets to. Let us know what you find!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I verified over 12V coming out of the battery and I disconnected and reconnected all of my connections. The bike came alive again at the turn of the key, however when I pulled in the clutch and hit the start button I heard an audible click from the battery area and it's dead again. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I did a search on this site and tried my spare key after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. It lit up again, but when I hit the start button it died again with a click by the battery. Disconnected and reconnected the battery again and it's still dead trying both keys. ARGH!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Try to start it with the voltage meter connected. See if the voltage plummets. Should maintain a steady voltage. Sounds like battery too me. If it was a sticky starter motor or something it would keep doing the start sequence. If it did the start sequence but then didn't start and now doesn't do the start sequence then points to an iffy battery or connection again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You haven't had the tank off have you. There is a plug under there that if you forget to re connect it does same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You haven't had the tank off have you. There is a plug under there that if you forget to re connect it does same thing.
The dealership put my new Speedmaster tank on. Hopefully they didn't miss it. Any pics on where this plug is? I'd rather check it here than trailer my bike 2 hours each way to the dealership to find out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Did the bike ever run since worked on? If so, I wouldnt suspect that they left anything undone.

I would think that the battery is the most likely culprit just because the bike has been sitting. Keep in mind, that the best and only real way to test a battery is by load test. It is not uncommon for a battery to have voltage but not sufficient cranking amps. A battery could energize a system, but not be strong enough to start. I hope you have an outlet to test that battery to keep you from chasing ghosts if none exist.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, you had major work done to this bike after you crashed it. That would make me also suspect a faulty ground. Not sure how intrusive, the mechanical work was, but I would double check the grounding points. The voltage had to make a loop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is a couple of plugs. Undo the tank bolts and lift tank up. No need to disconnect fuel lines. It's about half way up the tank along side the top of the main frame.

That issue would act the same all the time though. Not give you different symptoms.

Of your bikes symptoms are changing without you moving the bike i would say that 99%battery.

What does the multimeter read when connected and you press the start button? 12v reading when not under load does not mean the battery is fine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
[QUOTE="MX429, post: 206774, member
Keep in mind, that the best and only real way to test a battery is by load test. It is not uncommon for a battery to have voltage but not sufficient cranking amps. A battery could energize a system, but not be strong enough to start. I hope you have an outlet to test that battery to keep you from chasing ghosts if none exist.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, you had major work done to this bike after you crashed it. That would make me also suspect a faulty ground.

Good luck.
[/QUOTE]

This is basically what I was trying to say.

Sound advice by mx429

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has it run fine after the rebuild?
Or never run since the rebuild.?
It's never been running since the accident, that I'm aware of anyway. The dealership is closed on Mondays, so hopefully I'll hear back on this tomorrow (Tuesday).

The ground seems to be fine, as far as no corrosion or paint on the contact point, and it's torqued down well. I've had the battery on the trickle charger for over a day now, so tomorrow afternoon I'll have to give it another shot. I'll have a helper check the battery voltage while I try to start it, so we can see what's happening with it. I'll check those plugs under the tank too (thanks for the link @Psychopasta).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not running since the crash widens the feild of things that could be wrong.
If you have another bike try the battery off that and see if makes a difference.

Or you could try the old faithful bump start. Roll down a hill or get a push in 2nd gear with clutch in and ignition on. When you got a little momentum up drop the clutch. And it should fire up if got a little battery power in it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts