Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Range to empty' (gas pump icon) not indicating correctly. value stuck from 77 to 80 miles, it climbs and falls as I ride. A full tank never adjusts over 80 miles left on tank. Now that I think about it, it was broken when I took delivery from dealer but didn't notice.

Engine start/stop, key in and out, long press on info button. nothing changes display or resets or corrects the
erroneous indication. no surprise there. (250 miles so far)

Strangely I had this problem (and other indicator errors) on a new Triumph Thunderbird 2010 six years ago. Three Triumph dealers tried and failed to fix that problem (while still under warranty).
Eventually they all said they could no longer work on the problem because "Triumph would not pay them for diagnostic work (several hours each dealership) that did not result in a repair that required a replacement part".
I rode away from each dealers without the problems resolved.
Several months later all the problems (wonky gauge indications; analog speedo, miles left on tank, odometer not working) all went away one day and have not returned in 4 years.
(And no, I never did any work of my own on this bike.)

My take is '**** happens'. these are complicated machines. both bikes are from 1st year of production. it'd be nice if everything was perfect but it's not. thankfully, it didn't affect that bike's reliability, ride or performance.

Triumph's warranty policy, as expressed to me by the three dealers, was not admirable.

All in all, I haven't let it diminish my joy of riding. Especially the Bobber.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about your first Bobber problem. If a few other members see the same thing, then it could be a common problem with the Bobber. Maybe it'll go away after a while, as long as you keep an eye on the fuel gauge on the left then there shouldn't be any problems. Assuming that one is accurate?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check your average fuel consumption. That is how the range until empty is calculated. It will not indicate a range greater than 80 miles unless your average fuel economy is greater than 40 mpg.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know.
My avg fuel consumption (not the mpg for each gear) is 56.5
I'll update if things change.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also fue range just like level will change with the road incline or decline as the sender "sees" different fuel levels as the fuel moves to the front or back of the tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's good to know about the fuel shifting and how the range is calculated. I always assumed it was just based on what's left in the tank.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unfortunately central Florida is a flat as the water that surrounds it.

However, the range-left miles has started counting again.
I think after the fuel level actually got to below 77 miles left in the tank it started to work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: on Range Left problem

after gas level dropped below 77 (as a common sense observation) the range-left-in tank started working and counted down the miles to 21 miles left in tank.
I topped tank off at 21 miles left. (adding 1.87 gals)
RL-in-Tank indicator reset itself within a minute of leaving the gas pump.
it chose to set at 68 miles on this occasion. (previous full tank showed 80)
within a mile it lowered that value to 64 miles and then has stayed there for a 10 mile ride. its stuck again.

... its broken..

I suspect when the tank gets below 64 miles left, it will begin to reflect the real miles left and start to count down again as it did last tank fill up. The gas level indicator bars on the left side work fine.

I mentioned this problem to the Triumph dealer over the phone - while asking about accessories - and heard crickets. lol
When I get my 600 miles check up I tell them again.

In the mean time I love riding this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Miles to empty

The manual says: FYI
Note: After refueling the fuel gauge and range to empty information will be updated only while riding the motorcycle. Depending on the riding style, updating could take up to five minutes.
Just wondering if that's it. I haven't filled but once, so I have no reference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have observed my bike does almost the same thing. The fuel level bar indicator corrects almost immediately, but the range to empty shows 78 mi until it actually falls below that. Then it is accurate. Maybe that is how it was designed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 behaves that way, in that it takes several minutes/miles before the Range Left value corrects itself.
That is definitely not the case with this Bobber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine takes a good while to update. It's very weird. The range to empty INCREASED almost all the way home the evening I collected my Bobber

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In a word, 'No'.
Mine is broken and the bar level indicators aren't working right either. Shows full after 75 miles on a full tank.
(I'm not looking for precision mind you)

I'm worried the dealer isn't going to be able to fit it come 600 miles service time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wonder if a sensor in the tank is broken or if it's the gauge that needs replacing. Have you brought the bobber to your dealer yet? while the gauge is still broken?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't brought it in to the dealer for this gauge problem.
Over the phone, they are in denial that it is a problem... that's not good news.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe there's another Triumph dealer you can call about? Best to bring the Bobber in if possible so they can't deny it.
This is concerning if they know it's a problem but don't want to fix it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts