Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Making the decision between two bad-ass color options. Do I go classic or modern?

Thanks!

B

·
Registered
600 Posts
It’s a tough choice, IMHO matt black looks cooler and is definitely more fashionable than gloss, but on the downside it probably won’t ware as well and guess what fashions change, so long term classic gloss black is probably the better option. But having said that whatever you choose you’re onto a winner as they both look awesome, so it’s a nice problem to have!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brainfry, it looks like the poll results wont help you out too much with making a decision aha. I'm partial to the matte finish as well and keep in mind that you'll have to get accessories to match. Suppose it also depends on what else you have sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points all around. I had my heart set on gloss until I saw them side by side this past Saturday.
Both have their strengths. However, one thing that gloss has that flat doesn't is a bit cheaper price tag! ;)
I thought about the flat falling into the "fad" category, but I hadn't considered the wear factor. It certainly
is the tougher looking of the two...

I'll keep you posted... I have a deposit down and a choice of either at the dealership... so it's just a matter of time!

Thanks

B

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I would assume that the matte still has some sort of a clear coat, similar to the Ironstones? (do they?) So it should wear just fine, no?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am waiting on my gloss '18 Bobber black. As of right now Triumph only offers their accessory short front & rear fenders in gloss. I just don't like the 'Bobber' script on the side covers, just doesn't match the classic 'Triumph' on the tank. The first thing that I am going to do is take the side covers to the painter to have them ground down to remove the decal and re-sprayed gloss black. With the decals having some clear coat over them it is basically the only way to delete. I believe that it will be easier to match the gloss black than it would be to match the matte. All of this helped me make my decision. Also, thinking about purchasing a Morello Red tank to swap.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I am waiting on my gloss '18 Bobber black. As of right now Triumph only offers their accessory short front & rear fenders in gloss. I just don't like the 'Bobber' script on the side covers, just doesn't match the classic 'Triumph' on the tank. The first thing that I am going to do is take the side covers to the painter to have them ground down to remove the decal and re-sprayed gloss black. With the decals having some clear coat over them it is basically the only way to delete. I believe that it will be easier to match the gloss black than it would be to match the matte. All of this helped me make my decision.
I agree with the "Bobber" script..that and the large stock mufflers are the two things I didn't much care for. Although the stock exhaust does sound great.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am waiting on my gloss '18 Bobber black. As of right now Triumph only offers their accessory short front & rear fenders in gloss. I just don't like the 'Bobber' script on the side covers, just doesn't match the classic 'Triumph' on the tank. The first thing that I am going to do is take the side covers to the painter to have them ground down to remove the decal and re-sprayed gloss black. With the decals having some clear coat over them it is basically the only way to delete. I believe that it will be easier to match the gloss black than it would be to match the matte. All of this helped me make my decision. Also, thinking about purchasing a Morello Red tank to swap.
Oh balls... I didn’t realise you couldn’t get the short fender kits in matte. Maybe it is possible to get them in the U.K?! Well I guess that’s another good reason for me to ring my dealer and to annoy them some more! 0:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just took delivery on 2018 Bobber Black (Gloss Black). It is a matter of personal choice as both look great. I have two other Triumphs that are gloss black, so I am into gloss black.

I have the Free Spirit forward foot controls coming in Friday and the brackets are gloss black.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh balls... I didn’t realise you couldn’t get the short fender kits in matte. Maybe it is possible to get them in the U.K?! Well I guess that’s another good reason for me to ring my dealer and to annoy them some more! 0:)

I make the statement regarding the availability based on what my dealer told me. I also did notice in the pictures from one of the launch parties that the matte Bobber black had gloss accessory fenders.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gloss. You will never be able to maintain flat. Every scuff from clothes or whatever will not touch up or disapear. Forget about wax or rubbing/polishing compound for minor repairs. That's why I went with the Morello red on mine instead of the Ironstone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a deposit on the gloss, just felt to much matte.better contrast.but I have not seen them in person.
They both actually have a good mix of flat and gloss parts... but the fenders, side covers and tank are pretty obvious differences. What's going to happen is someone will post about gloss parts they don't like and will see if someone wants to trade for mat. :grin2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the flat black the most, but matte paint is a lot harder to maintain, as I have found out in the past. Any little scuff will show and can't be polished out as easily as a gloss finish can.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I like the flat black the most, but matte paint is a lot harder to maintain, as I have found out in the past. Any little scuff will show and can't be polished out as easily as a gloss finish can.
Hmm... that’s a worry... I’ll patiently await my very own and first, “I told you so” moment! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts