Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

A good friend of mine who’s become smitten with my Bobber Black has within moments of looking over the bike booked his CBT... if that’s not an advertisement for be Bobbers I don’t know what is?! :grin2:

He’s wants to get himself a 125cc to get some miles under his built before moving onto something more capable and very much likes the cruiser look.

He’s spotted this... can anyone tell me if they are any good but it seems like a **** of a lot of money given what it is and it’s age to me?

https://www.ridedmc.co.uk/used-honda-vt125-shadow-dartford-kent-1406059

I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on this bike and any other suggestions you might have regarding other options worth a look?

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
No specific experience of that bike, but my experience of Jap customs isn't good. Ask yourself why they aren't being sold in the UK any more... I'd go for a standard Yamahammer 125 or Honda CG 125 replacement.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
They are used quite a lot as rental bikes here in Spain.
Very reliable but parts can be pretty expensive when it comes time to replace/service them. And can look tatty/rusted/pitted if not cared for.
Not sure about price, but it seems very expensive to me at first glance. But maybe that’s cause of the very low mileage and condition.
As a first bike, I would not go for a bike in mint condition like the one in your link. But a cheaper one may be a good choice if that’s the style he’s looking for.

Just for comparisons sake; A Y2K bike in good condition with 30,000km will sell for around 2100 euros here in Spain (from a dealer). So may be found even cheaper privately. But obviously prices in the UK and Spain can differ dramatically...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Congrats on you mate :)

Little 125 V twin, better torque than a std 125 single but still, lot of money for an X reg....

Spares wise always go to Dave Silvers for Honda bit's, if he does not have it, you won't find it anywhere (Got me a CBX1000 original exhaust quote years ago.... got a micron instead as it was 10% of the price lol)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know a guy who has just passed and recently purchased a 125, couldn't tell you what it is. Anyways, didn't take him long but the bigger bike desire is now in him. From personal experience, start riding, what you set out to ride in the first place. Getting different bikes before your dream bike just cost money and aggravation.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know a guy who has just passed and recently purchased a 125, couldn't tell you what it is. Anyways, didn't take him long but the bigger bike desire is now in him. From personal experience, start riding, what you set out to ride in the first place. Getting different bikes before your dream bike just cost money and aggravation.
I couldn’t agree more... I hadn’t ridden for nearly 15 years before buying the BB... I didn’t see the point of farting around with smaller bikes knowing full well what I wanted. I did suggest that he at least buys a 600cc and just has it restricted until he has his full licence and is ready to derestrict the bike. At least then it won’t look like a toy and it’ll sound reasonable too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can't comment on the 125cc but I did have the Honda VTX1300 which build quality wise was top notch - in fact the only thing which let it down was it was too good, too perfect and lacked any lumpiness if you know what I mean. That said, I cut my teeth on a CG125 which I felt was perfect for learning your way round a bike and would recommend it to any beginner.

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
Beginner License limit prior to taking test... Except... you can drive (IIRC) 50kw under instruction providing you're over 21 and get what's known as "Direct Access", other wise it's 125, then no more than 50kw for two years before you can ride unlimited...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Beginner License limit prior to taking test... Except... you can drive (IIRC) 50kw under instruction providing you're over 21 and get what's known as "Direct Access", other wise it's 125, then no more than 50kw for two years before you can ride unlimited...
Ok. I figured it was something along those lines. We don’t have those limits except for younger riders. You can get a motorcycle license at 15 here but it has to be 250cc and under.

Honda Rebels make good beginner bikes here. This is one I built and now my 15 year old son rides it. I know they make a 125cc version as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
The used Honda looks like a lot of loot for what it is. As soon as your friend passes his test he will likely want something with a bit more poke and I suspect he will take a big financial hit trying to offload that. I think as others have said either get a decent second hand cg125 or as you say a restricted 600.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I think my friend is coming round... he has now realised that the Honda in question is a bad move. He’s a big lump so I suspect a 125cc with physically feel too small for him. He is open to buying a 600cc and restricting it accordingly but first wants to do his CBT to get a feel for a 125 etc.

Far more sensible thinking :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ok so I think my friend is coming round... he has now realised that the Honda in question is a bad move. He’s a big lump so I suspect a 125cc with physically feel too small for him. He is open to buying a 600cc and restricting it accordingly but first wants to do his CBT to get a feel for a 125 etc.

Far more sensible thinking :)

Ducati monster 620ie, 2002 onwards, these are easily restricted/derestricted and afterwards he will have a great bike to continue with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts