Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else, especially those of you with pipes, X-pipes, AC deletes etc. Done the 12 min. tune. I didn't do mine till the weather got warm out, probably last May. I thought it made a definite difference in the low end torque and with the first 1/4 or so of throttle response. It seemed I could pull a gear higher around town and when I needed to I could just roll on the throttle without down shifting.

I was just wondering about anyone else's experiences? >:)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eisen, This is actually a pretty common thing, especially over on RAT. You may know of it by a different name.

Basically we can force the ECU on any water cooled Triumph to do an "Adaptive learning cycle" or something like that, it is in the factory service manual! It's purpose is to re-learn the ECU settings at the lower RPM and throttle settings. It's especially good after mods!

The procedure is simple.
1. Start your bike without touching the throttle.
2. Wait till the bike reaches 190F, This is simple the fan will come on!
3. Continue idling for 12 more minutes!

This will force the Adaptive RE-learn cycle according to Triumph! >:)

If the ambient temp is cold outside, this could actually take 30 or more minutes, that is why I do it on hot days. This should be done on a cold start, not just after a ride!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Ok. Got it, thanks.
There was a similar cycle on the GL1800 to reset the ECM & help stabilize the idle that would sometimes hunt. It worked for a while and then the “issue” would usually come back.

I’ll give it a try on the Triumph and let you know my result.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK... So can I assume no one else did this or the results were not worth reporting. I thought this was a great thing and free no less!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I'm planning on doing this tomorrow. It's supposed to be really hot for the next few days, so I'm hoping it'll be a quick exercise. Planning on putting some miles behind me Friday morning, so I should be able to tell if there's a difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
In the 90s here, and humid as Florida (no offense, Florida). Bike started, waiting for fan kick on.

Then will wait the golden 12 min, and ride. Short ride.....as I said, it's hot!

Will report back.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
A little over half way through the 12 min after initial fan kick on.

Fan has kicked on several times, and I'm getting the small "pop-pop" on the exhaust. That is normal.

Next report will be on any noticed difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
In conclusion - inconclusive.

Going through the neighborhood on the way out the drive was actually more lurchy than normal in 3rd cruising @~30mph. Typically this has been smooth. By the time I swung back through into the neighborhood, this was gone though and back to smoothness.

Other than that, no real noticeable changes for me. Perhaps it does do things that may be imperceptible to the rider.

I will try this again once the weather starts to cool down.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
In conclusion - inconclusive.

Going through the neighborhood on the way out the drive was actually more lurchy than normal in 3rd cruising @~30mph. Typically this has been smooth. By the time I swung back through into the neighborhood, this was gone though and back to smoothness.

Other than that, no real noticeable changes for me. Perhaps it does do things that may be imperceptible to the rider.

I will try this again once the weather starts to cool down.
Thanks for the update.
I still didn’t do mine and doubt I’ll have the patience after reading that...:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I still didn’t do mine and doubt I’ll have the patience after reading that...:wink2:
Actually, I just reread the instructions,.....I can't say that I didn't blip the throttle after startup....hmmm.

Will try again and ensure I don't overlook one of the many many steps this 12 min tune has...haha.

You should try it, be curious what other folks experience is.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You absolutely must not touch the throttle! And shutdown the bike for a few minutes before you ride it!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts