Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, just got back from a 1,500 mile trip from the uk through France, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium so wanted to give a couple notes on using the Bobber for touring. First, it’s perfect! I’m 6” and 80kgs and I didn’t have a single issue riding down an entire tank of fuel in one sitting on the motorway and we did a minimum of 400km a day with no rest days. This includes a few blasts on the autobahns with 100mph over takes but I have to admit I 100% could not get faster than that, possibly the luggage drag but that was it.

The only thing that gave me a scare once was in the French hills we found some awesome hairpins, got carried away and just made it to a fuel station with less than half a litre left. Kindly my support Tiger agreed to carry a 5L fuel can for me but we never had to use it.

Luggage wise, I grabbed the Triumph pannier rails and just strapped an old pair of Oxford panniers to them, which gave more than enough space for a week.

Overall there wasn’t a single point where I felt like I wanted to swap with my mates Tiger and in the Swiss alps he wanted to swap with me as I had to keep pulling over to wait for him. I could pass anything on the road except a fuel station!

I’ve had 2 x Suzuki GSXR 600, Suzuki TL1000R, BMW K1200S and some other bikes and I never felt for a moment I brought the wrong bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anthony I enjoyed your write up on your recent touring experience on your Bobber. I had been touring on Harley’s for a long time, sold them and bought my Bobber last year. I had been somewhat skeptical about doing any long trips on the Bobber, but your narrative convinced me that our minds create our on limitations. Glad you had a great trip!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Awesome timing. I'm leaving in 12 days for a 10 day ride (probably a 2000 mile +/- ) trip. Love seeing another Bobber used like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice man, I'm just back from a 1700 mile bike/camping trip to Germany and I feel the same, my mate was also on a tiger and i wouldn't of swapped not even for a second.

The Bobber is actually just a bloody good all round bike, ok it takes a few mods to do what i did with the luggage but SO worth it.

Ive actually nicknamed mine "Adventurebob" :grin2:

It gets stripped right down again when I'm not touring though

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
1.500 km...

Interesting,

I went to Austria (the Newchurch event) say 3 weeks ago, having the choice of using my Tiger800 or ( for the first time) my Bobber Black, i choose the last one but was after say 200 km quite painfull reminded that I made a mistake (at least that is what my ...told me). Driving in the mountains, ok quite good possible (except the petrol problem we all know of course) but going around the corners with a Tiger 800 is going at least without the scraping sounds you get with a bobber. Strange that you have opposite experiences. (Btw I love my bobber)

Cu
Léon

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have no doubt that if you were banging in 500 mile a day etc the tiger would be more comfortable but my trip was only about 200 miles a day average, even on the days we did 350 miles i found the bobber plenty comfortable though and for me it is a balance of fun AND comfort and the Bobber would always win for me on my trips.

I did add a sheepskin seat cover that might of helped more than i realize too

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rex,

Of course, max 200-300 km a day, definately Bobber area, I can only agree w you beyond that distance ==>Tiger :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rex,

Of course, max 200-300 km a day, definately Bobber area, I can only agree w you beyond that distance ==>Tiger :)

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Great pics!! Living in Minnesota, we don't have anything near the mountainous views you've been enjoying. I can only dream of a ride like that some day. In the meantime, it's great to live vicariously through those of you posting amazing pics.

·
Super Moderator
846 Posts
I did a trip UK to Rome (2,800 mile round trip) on my Norge a few years ago with a guy on a Yamaha 400 Majesty scoot. The discovery for me was that for him we had to stop every 120 miles for fuel, but that led to a discovery that the regime of fuel up, ride for 2 hours (yeah keep to 60mph), fuel again, ride for 2 hours, stop for fuel and lunch, ride for 2 hours, fuel, ride for 2 hours, fuel, ride for 2 hours fuel and tea stop, etc, meant that you didn't get very tired. There is nothing to make me think the Speedmaster wouldn't do the same... I could fit all my clothing in my Held backpack, job done!

Re the 60mph thing, the difference in mental effort between 60 and 80+ is tangible...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice man, I'm just back from a 1700 mile bike/camping trip to Germany and I feel the same, my mate was also on a tiger and i wouldn't of swapped not even for a second.

The Bobber is actually just a bloody good all round bike, ok it takes a few mods to do what i did with the luggage but SO worth it.

Ive actually nicknamed mine "Adventurebob" :grin2:

It gets stripped right down again when I'm not touring though

What rack is that?

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any chance you’d want to make another? Haha sometimes I have to carry my fire gear and I really need someplace to put it but everything I’ve seen so far isn’t a big enough shelf.

Now I wear the pants and throw the helmet and jacket in the bag but I’d love to be able to strap it down and not carry it on my back.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry m8 I have about a hundred other things to be done myself just don't get enough time, you could buy a hepco rack and take it to any fabrication/custom bike shop and im sure they could do it for you though

·
Registered
370 Posts
Alright thanks I understand though. Believe me there’s not as many as you would think here. Tough to come by a shop that’s willing to do a small job like that

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
28 Posts
I might make a batch when i finally decide to buy a welder for the garage, had to get this one welded at work and they aren't fond of homers in the workshop

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any chance you’d want to make another? Haha sometimes I have to carry my fire gear and I really need someplace to put it but everything I’ve seen so far isn’t a big enough shelf.

Now I wear the pants and throw the helmet and jacket in the bag but I’d love to be able to strap it down and not carry it on my back.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
Respect to all Firefighters !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts