Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Finding neutral on Black Bobber

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Mar-Vel 
#1 ·
I have a brand new Bobber Black I just started riding. I am a new rider and perhaps this is a stupid question. I find it very hard to find neutral. Is this normal? Does it take a while to break it in and it becomes easier? Is this pretty normal on all bikes?

#2 ·
It is a new bike thing, my Speedmaster is getting easier, but one of my issues is finding neutrals I don't want! So, when in first, don't do a normal gearchange up, do a "lazy" one. Conversely when changing first to second (where I find my neutral when cold) be "definite"... I don't mean kick the heck out of it, just nuance your move on the gear change.

#5 ·
Yep switching neutral in bobber black is lottery, i have 8k km on odo and hitting neutral is worse than when it was new, so it wont get better.
This is first bike i have problems finding neutral, need to switch between 1st -2 snd gear multiple times to find neutral, even very light switch will jump over.

#6 · (Edited)
I haven't noticed any problems on my new Black Bobber thus far.

That's not much help I know but just offered for perspective.

Although I do find the gearbox in general is clunky. I have to keep reminding myself to use the clutch when changing up, something I got into the habit of not doing on my V-Max as the gears were a little slick and I didn't need to use the clutch often, so got lazy.

Cheerio,

Roy

#9 ·
I have tried (back to back) 300V and Castrol Power 1 on my GSA.
I much preferred the 300V. So I look forward to hearing your findings once you’ve tried it.
The bike sounded better (much less “clattering” if you know what I mean) and had better gear changes with the 300V.
Even the BMW mechanic asked what i was using after he took it for a test ride - so he could buy some for his bike. That was a big compliment !

#11 ·
My old GTR1000, had a blocker on second from first when you were stationary. Bugger to look the back wheel up, as you had to roll the bike backwards whilst trying to get 2nd!

#13 ·
My bobber Black is 8 weeks old, and has about 2K miles on the clock and I see no unusual difficulties with neutral.
I find it easier to go down from second into neutral, as opposed to up from first.
This was also true for my previous bike (s1000rr), although that had very real problems hitting neutral instead of second on an up shift.

#14 ·
I'm really searching on this one but hear me out. Sometimes - not always - it is easier to find a gear when the transmission is under load (or the clutch is partially out). This won't help you much for finding neutral but if you find the other gears neutral might be easier to get to.

The best way for me to find any gear is to get very familiar with the bike. The Bobber is my first "feet forward bike" so everything has been a learning experience. But the more I ride it the easier it gets.

#17 ·
I agree with you gfspencer! I've come from a T100, and despite being another Triumph, with an almost identical engine (aesthetically) the seating position and ape hangers are all new to me, on the Bobber, so it's about getting bedded in and finding the comfort zone.

At the moment, I'm the complete opposite, finding neutral more than I should haha! It's only when I'm taking off a little too quickly and trying to shoot through the gears, sometimes catches me out, but I'm adjusting.:grin2:

Beautiful gearbox I must say, it's also nice having a clutch that's a little heavier, on my T100 it was ridiculously light and almost too easy!

#15 · (Edited)
I occasionally have trouble finding neutral, but I've ridden a lot of bikes, and I've had various minor gear issues with lots of them. I'm a mechanical technician, and have lots of 'mechanical sympathy' With the Triumph's neutral I don't think it's an issue with dis-engaging, more that the gear wheels are well meshed. I doubt the Triumph will ever jump out of gear, I notice it also has a really positive clunk when you change, almost like a boxer twin. I am confident you could actually put a lot more power through that gearbox than what it has to deal with, and I think it would take it. It's quite tractor like in design, and that's a trade off for its robustness. I just stab the gear lever until I get a green light, and let the clutch out carefully, just in case. This does not bother me at all. Overall the gearbox performs well, and you can clutchless upshift while accelerating hard, so for me I'll accept a stubborn neutral.

In summary, don't worry, it's not you it's a trait of the bike, it's not a fragile engine, just give your tractors shift lever a good prod. :) Then laugh mightily as you plow on down the road, being awesome and making unbelievably pleasing sounds.

#18 ·
My old Royal Enfield was IMPOSSIBLE to find neutral, so I feel like the Bobber does pretty well by comparison. My only advice is that is just a very slight uptick with your foot. Gotta get used the slightness of it, it's not like actually shifting gears. Just a little pop out. You'll get used to it...

#19 ·
Easiest way i find to hit neutral if a bike it being a bit truculent (like when it's telling you it's due a was, oil change or just plain pi$$ed you have been looking at other bikes) is to roll it back or forward just a fraction as you snick it into neutral, literally just rocking it slightly forward or backwards will do it.

Give it a try, nothing to lose!

Reactions: ysoslo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.