• 1 Post By Roy
  • 1 Post By Chico

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Question Battery Fail - What Mileage ?

Fellow Bobber riders,

I've now seen more than one post relating to a member's Bobber/Speedmaster failing to start eventually resulting in a battery issue that needs replacement.

In an attempt to circumvent such an issue I'm now thinking what would be the best mileage to replace the battery.

This may be a shot in the dark but thought there was no harm in starting a thread just to see if there was any information that could be extrapolated.

So can I ask at what mileage did your battery fail?

Cheerio,

Roy
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Mileage has very little to do with it. How the battery is stored and how often the bike is ridden are much more important. I have seen batteries that are always on a good brand of tender go eight years. Bikes that are stored in the winter months and not maintained properly are lucky to get 3 years. I would say that if you do a good job of maintaining your battery replace it at the beginning of every 4th season and you probably won't have an issue!
Rob Axel likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks for that mate.

Yes I'm aways of that and wasn't implying that mileage has anything to actually do with battery life span, I should have made that clearer.

I was just working on an over simplistic theory that all things being equal if one purchased a new Bobber and remembered what milage the battery failed and if something similar happened to a few riders, then that might give a heads up to other riders that, that may be something to look out for.

But as mentioned, this may be a shot in the dark.

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
Roy, I took delivery of my Robber in April 2018. I put 5,200 miles on it last year and had the dealership store it over the winter. They removed the battery and stored it indoors on a tender until I picked it back up in April of this year. I put another 2,500 miles on it before the battery died, so a total of 7,700 miles. I never connected it to a Battery Tender at home. Now that I've replace the battery, I plug it into the tender every time I get off of it in the hope that it'll last a lot longer.

I've got the battery below "saved to cart" on Amazon, so when the time comes to replace the current battery I'll be able to place a quick order and get a new one within a day or 2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DZ5DLR7S&psc=1

Good luck with yours! If you've put it on the battery tender regularly, you'll likely get more longevity out of the original battery than I did.

Each one matters.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks for that @ysoslo ,

Good information there. I don't put mine on a tender as I'm riding it every day. I'm up to around 6,500 miles on my bike and was thinking I would put a new batter on (as a precaution) at 7,500. It would seem from you initial response that may be a good way to go.

Cheerio,

Roy
ysoslo likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:53 PM

My Corvette battery lasted fifteen years, always on a battery tender. My HD battery was replaced after nine years even though it worked fine just as a precaution, also always on a tender.

Chico
Roy likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM

Garage
You can't predict some battery failure modes, years ago Yuasa had a batch of batteries for bikes that failed with breaks in cell-cell connection...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM

For me seems who uses battery tender, their batteries die ... . I never(Daytona 675 and now BB) used one(i bought it and still in box) and battery is ok.
I have 27k km on odo now, we have 5 month cold winter. I leave battery on bike and ca run bike 4 - 5 x 10 min during winter, thats all - it started without problems on spring.
So i don't see anypoint to use battery tender by myself or take battery off the bike .

Only the case when batteries(3x, before i checked voltage) were burnt by Dyatona 675 was when their famous voltage regulator failed and output voltage was over 25v, that was fixed by using aftermarket MOSFET voltage regulator.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page