Indicators with 12v bulbs - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Indicators with 12v bulbs

Hi, I've fitted Motone Billet indicators to the front of my Bobber, they look great & work fine. With the Montone (12v) indicators on the front and the standard (LED) indicators on the rear, everything works fine. But if I fit Montone indicators on the rear, as well as the front, then none of them work!
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

That kind of problem is way over my head, but welcome to the forum and I hope some other members can chime in and help resolve your issue.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Easy fix. Turn off the bike, hold down the INFO button then turn on the ignition. Keep holding the INFO button and you should see TYPE on the gage. You can toggle through types 1-4 to get the blink rate you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:22 PM

Oops. Just reread your post and doesn’t have anything to do with blink rate. Are you sure you haven’t blown a fuse? Double check your rear wiring. I had a similar problem when installing my X-Arcs and it turned out to be wiring.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments, I've tried all the different programs and no change. If I disconnected the front indicators, the rear ones work! It doesn't seem to be able to handle 4 12v incandescent bulbs. Going to get some LED bulbs and try them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipjamest View Post
Hi, I've fitted Motone Billet indicators to the front of my Bobber, they look great & work fine. With the Montone (12v) indicators on the front and the standard (LED) indicators on the rear, everything works fine. But if I fit Montone indicators on the rear, as well as the front, then none of them work!
If they're on the same circuit there might not be enough current? LED lights draw less than bulbs, which is why people usually add resisters when they upgrade from bulbs to LED. So I'm guessing going the other way you might be short???
eisen77 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, you're almost certainly right. The problem I have now is finding LED bulbs that are the same size as the original bulb, all the ones I've seen, so far, are too long. May have to stick the Montones on eBay and buy some LED indicators which would be a shame as they're really nice.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipjamest View Post
Thanks for your comments, I've tried all the different programs and no change. If I disconnected the front indicators, the rear ones work! It doesn't seem to be able to handle 4 12v incandescent bulbs. Going to get some LED bulbs and try them.
Before you get rid of them, it may be worth considering the flasher unit which could well be designed for LED only. A simple swap may cure the problem. There are some that are designed for both LED and filament bulbs: Flasher Relay
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 AM

...assuming there is a flasher unit on the Bobber, as I can't locate it on the wiring diagram!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
This is a replica of a car problem I've had recently, all related to CANBUS.

The car problem was when towing my caravan (so excuse the long explanation). So new caravan, towbar fitted with vehicle specific wiring harness and car reprogrammed to recognise the towing module in the harness. Twin reversing lights and rear fog lights on caravan not working. The issue is that these are incandescent bulbs, and the current draw of the pairs of lights was over what the towing module was expecting and so it shut those lights down. The harness manufacturer had programmed the module for single reversing and fog lights, and they sent me a set of appropriately ballasted LED bulbs to get it all to work. QED!

So, with a CANBUS vehicle with LED lights, you won't be able to replace the LED's with incandescent bulbs (and to some extent why would you?) because circuits aren't designed for the increased current and need protecting...

When considering electrical stuff on these bikes you need to get out of the traditional 12v (or even 6v!) wiring mindset...
Bobber-Bomb and Johnny like this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page