Warning lights while riding - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Warning lights while riding

Hi there.New to forum so I thought I would jump straight in with a problem I have encountered with my recently
aquired original Bobber.Whilst riding last week noticed MIL,ABS and TC disabled warning lights were on.I stopped,switched off ignition in the hope this might clear them(mistake),as bike would not re-start.No reaction from
start switch,no click,completely dead.Bike was recovered to nearest Triumph dealer who deleted P0335 CPS fault
andP1521 no signal to ABS modulator codes,and then started bike following day with no problem at all.Intermittent fault,difficult to pin down,let them know if it happens again.Today it did happen again,I was ready for it this time,so noticed that ABS warning came on first,closely followed by MIL and TC disabled.Also speedo dead along with odometer and current mpg readouts.This time I kept going and made it home before I ran out of petrol.Dealer says they will look at bike again(provided it recovers again so I can ride it there),and they are being helpful seeing I did not actually purchase from them.In the meantime I wondered if any other members have had similar problems or have any thoughts on this.Problem would appear to originate within ABS.Great forum with lots of useful advice.
Regards Bobcat (Tony).
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
This is a condition I have not heard much about before, throughout a variety of Bobber forums. My initial thoughts run to a loose or poor electrical connection from one of two wheel speed sensors associated with the ABS system. Obviously, the traction control system and vehicle ground speed indicator systems would take their input from the same, so it stands to reason that ABS, TC, and speedo would indicate a fault or total failure in relatively close succession (or simultaneously). After poor or loose connections, I’d suspect intermittent or failed operation of fuses and/or relays attributed to one or more of the same systems. Possibly even damage or desensitization of the magnetic pickup from the wheel speed sensor(s). Due to the lack of reported incidences of similar circumstances in other bobbers, I’d rule out software/firmware issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forjox likes this.

"The path of adventure leads to wisdom"
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Bag
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 AM

The dealers get a flat rate on warranty work which is where they make a lot of money on service and warranty. Regardless of where you bought the bike, the dealer is lucky to get both your service and warranty business. It’s a big chunk of their business so don’t think they’re doing you any favours by doing your warranty work. YOU’R The customer!!! In Canada the Bobber has a roadside assistance program under your warranty that requires the pick up the bike by flatbed truck and take it to the shop to repair, all inclusive in warranty. That’s why you pay for the new bike what you do! Call them up, tell them to pick up the bike a fix it right!! Don’t ever get the misconception that dealers are somehow your buddies, mates or friends. They’re very much real estate whores who see you as a sale and that’s it. Be tough with the service and demand proper service. Don’t pay extras as it’s all part of the free service. These dealers have a lot of attitude until you put them in line. It’s sounds like your main wiring harness is defective. Check your roadside service plan. Don’t just these dealers play you
Mar-Vel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:02 AM

I have had the abs and TC light come on after taking out the back wheel and changing the sprocket. I have no idea why the codes were generated. The bike ran ok and dealer tool erased the codes successfully. It sounds to me like the dealer has not really addressed the underlying issue. I would suspect the harness or main battery connections as a starting point. The abs/TC errors shouldn't prevent the bike from starting. Maybe its something that occurs when the temperature builds up?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 AM

Garage
My initial thought like Bob's_yer_firkin is battery or its connections...?

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM

So I'm getting fault codes throw up on mine that are brake related and stop the cruise control working correctly etc. I can't help you but I do now ride carrying an odb reader so that I can reset the codes myself. Would have got you home for example.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Hey Bobcat, Welcome!

I think Bobs_yer_frickin and Guzzilazz have pin pointed it, based on the fact that it won't restart. Or as Jaymz said, short to ground in the harness. None of the codes or behaviors on their own should prevent it from restarting. But a loose main power or ground connection, or a short to ground in the harness would definitely cause the electronics behavior, and the restarting issue. But I would be inclined to think it was a connection issue, as a main harness short to the degree needed to produce this behavior, would likely shut the bike down as soon as it occurred, and possibly produce tell tales like smoke or melted spots in the harness, not to mention blown fuses. A bad connection on the other hand, would produce the electronics behaviors, but the bike would stay running by way of the alternator as it is also grounded separately.

Alternatively, after a quik look at the wiring diagram, it is also possible it could be a relay in the starting circuit, if it is heat dependent. Which would lead me back to Jaymz's theory of a harness short, but again, there is a pretty high probability that it would shut the bike down.

Did the bike restart on its own once it cooled, or did the shop put a charger on it (ie; inadvertently wiggle a bad connection)?

My 2 cents.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Recently had my Clocks replaced under warranty with them resetting all the time, maybe something dodgy going on onside it?

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Warning lights while riding

Hi there again,just a quick update on whats happening.To fill in some details,bike was purchased from a dealer about 130 miles away.When breakdown occured it was recovered to closest Triumph dealer,only about 10 miles away and they cleared codes .This was quite late in day by now,so they kept bike and I returned following day,service manager and myself walked out to have another look at it and it started up straight away as if nothing had happened.They kept it for another day,then test rode it,all seemed OK so I collected it,rode home with no problem.However,as mentioned earlier,a few days later lights came on again but I got back to my lockup garage (about 20 miles away from where I actually live) .First problem occured after about 150 miles of riding,second time after just 40.
Bike is covered by Triumph used warranty till next May.Latest situation now is when I returned to lockup today,bike goes through usual startup routine,fuel pump primes and so on,but not a squeak from starter switch.When I position switch to off,fuel pump cuts out so at least that part of it works OK.
Triumph Assist (RAC) will now look at bike,try to fix problem!,and then transport bike to a different Triumph dealer,one much closer to where the bike is actually kept.This should be tomorrow (Sat).
As I think a couple of you have mentioned,its understandable why a problem that originates within ABS should knock out TC,speedo etc.,but difficult to relate that to the fact that the starter switch is dead.Have checked fuses,battery connections,would have looked inside starter switch but could not find right sized allen key,anyway dont want to start pulling bike apart too much when still under warranty,
Thanks for your comments,regards Bobcat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
As I think a couple of you have mentioned,its understandable why a problem that originates within ABS should knock out TC,speedo etc.,but difficult to relate that to the fact that the starter switch is dead.Have checked fuses,battery connections,would have looked inside starter switch but could not find right sized allen key,anyway dont want to start pulling bike apart too much when still under warranty,
Thanks for your comments,regards Bobcat.
The switch is only an "activator", when you press it, the electronics deliver the start cycle, not the button... On my two modern Guzzis, you "tapped" the button and released it, the electronics cranked the engine for however long the engine needed it to fire...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page