DRL switchgear compatibility NA - Triumph Bobber Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

DRL switchgear compatibility NA

I’ve noticed that North American Bobbers have only two options for lights: dipped and high beam. Seems everyone else has three? DRL, dipped, and high beam. Is it a matter of just replacing the switchgear to enable DRL?
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure about that one.
DRL (daytime running lights) have been law here in Europe for quite a while now and there is no way to turn off your headlight. We also have the option of dipped or high beam only. The light has to be on as soon as the the ignition is switched on.
So what it’s the third option you are asking about?
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:29 AM

I hate daytime running lights. Our late model Triumphs, as are some other marques delivered OEM configured with DRL, however it is not a legislated by law requirement.
If there is an option to disable DRL (other than modifying the wiring) I'd like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 AM

The Thruxton has a DRL option only available outside of the US:

https://www.triumphrat.net/water-coo...d-led-drl.html

It required a new switch cube for and a different headlight, around $500 all-in. I'm guessing this is what the OP is asking about, as the low beam comes on at the same time the LED DRL does here.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
While DRL have not been mandated here in the USA, many manufacturers have opted to have them installed in USA delivered models, both for safety and of course, saving $$ as Canadian delivered vehicles require this. Early model cars used the “high beam at half brilliance” method and many/most have now gone to another bulb and lens to provide that feature. When I worked at Ford, we could access the feature on the ECU and turn it on or off as the customer request.....for a fee of course. Jm2c

Riding Free
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Not sure about that one.
DRL (daytime running lights) have been law here in Europe for quite a while now and there is no way to turn off your headlight. We also have the option of dipped or high beam only. The light has to be on as soon as the the ignition is switched on.
So what it’s the third option you are asking about?
Maybe I’m confused (not unusual). My understanding of the switchgear for the rest of the world was that the front trigger flashes high beam and the rider facing switch toggled between high and low beam? DRL turns on automatically with ignition on?

I’d like the high beam flash setting.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Here is how the EU Bobbers come from the factory (cruise control and heated grips are after market accessories for the 2017 Bobber):

Hope the pics help.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Garage
USA looks exactly the same.

Riding Free
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’ve noticed that North American Bobbers have only two options for lights: dipped and high beam. Seems everyone else has three? DRL, dipped, and high beam. Is it a matter of just replacing the switchgear to enable DRL?
Yes and No.

Yes - you can buy the DRL headlight and updated switch gear as an optional extra for the standard Bobber, so I can't see why it wouldn't be the same for the Bobber Black.

No - you won't be able to do it as it's probably not legal in the US?

I believe the US has a law that to avoid confusion??? The DRL has to switch off while the indicator is flashing, here's a quote from Cycle World's Bobber Black review:

The look is denser, lower, and chunkier than with the standard Bobber. In the EU and some other markets, the Black gets an all-LED headlight, but one that doesn’t comply with US regulations and will not be offered here; instead the US model is fitted with the same halogen bulb with daytime running light (DRL) as used in the regular Bobber.

I guess Triumph didn't want to bother with a US only light spec and fitted a standard light instead?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
the US model is fitted with the same halogen bulb with daytime running light (DRL) as used in the regular Bobber.

I guess Triumph didn't want to bother with a US only light spec and fitted a standard light instead?
I'm not sure about you, but my 2018 bobber black appears to have an LED headlight, including the DRL and the low/high beam. The DRL cannot be run alone, however. It is interesting that the EU spec bobbers also do not have low beams you can turn off. Maybe not all EU spec bikes are exactly the same?

My Thruxton came with a halogen low/high beam and an LED DRL, FWIW.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page