Latest update on TuneECU and compatibility? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Latest update on TuneECU and compatibility?

I have a 2018 Bobber Black.

There are tons of threads with differing information regarding TuneECU. Whether it still works, tampering, etc. I can't seem to find any recent information on whether we can work with our ECU's to reset trouble codes, fuel mapping, and so on.
Is there a consensus of whether I can use the PC or Android version, whether the ECU will lock up or register as tampered, and so on? Is there a preferred Bluetooth interface? I've heard some work, and some don't.

I have a CEL wrench, and I think it's simply that the dealer didn't reset it after the 500-mile service they did two weeks ago. Unfortunately, that dealer is 300 miles away, and my local dealer wants a half hour's labor to reset it.
Any help? Thanks!
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM

As far as I am aware the tune ECU wont work on the more recent ECU including the Bobbers. Re the wrench icon I bought Dealertool for mine so that I don't have to rely on the dealers. Its already paid for itself when I had to bleed my abs and when I got an error code after changing the rear sprocket.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
I have to second the worthiness of the outlay for Dealertools. It is a purchase that will definitely pay for itself rapidly, and continue to do so over the life of your bike.
oatmeal769 likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Probably worth it. I've just always liked the open source community. But, the more I search, the more I get conflicting reports as to whether TuneEcu will work with our Bobbers.

2018 Bobber Black with a matte tank. Vance & Hines silencers. Tec x-pipe. NRC tail tidy & 47mm fork ring signals.
X-Arc rear signals. Shorty levers. Bitchin' Stitchin' leather seat.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Garage
I could never get it to work, with either version, or any of the 3 OBD plugs I own, including a good bluetooth one which I was told would work for reading DTC's if nothing else.
oatmeal769 likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Does Dealertools have the ability to change fuel mapping? Like if I install an X-pipe, a different airbox, etc. later?

2018 Bobber Black with a matte tank. Vance & Hines silencers. Tec x-pipe. NRC tail tidy & 47mm fork ring signals.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post
Does Dealertools have the ability to change fuel mapping? Like if I install an X-pipe, a different airbox, etc. later?
No, it won’t allow those kind of changes.
But I also have a DealerTool and it’s worth the investment - as others have mentioned.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
But I also have a DealerTool and itís worth the investment - as others have mentioned.
I just read through the whole site. Although it won't do fuel maps, I really don't care to mess with them or modifications. The bike really is perfect already, if you ask me. I might try an X-pipe someday, but I've heard it gets more 'blappy' and less 'rumbly', which I don't want. Just a little louder would be nice. I'm guessing I can hit the dealership when/if more ECU updates are made, or for a one time update if I add an X-pipe.
Dealertool is $75 and we know it works. I think that's my best bet. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till next paycheck and then for the long shipping wait from the UK. I don't think leaving the CEL on will hurt anything, though.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:53 PM
Sub

On the tune ecu site it lists our bikes specifically if you use the bt dongle which I just bought (MX+). I was able to read my ecu via the iphone app, but when I try and use the tuneecu windows app, I cant connect. I just need to reset my gear icon after my first oil change. Has anyone had luck with that setup for service light reset?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 PM

For the Bobber, you need an Android device and the Bluetooth OBDII reader. I bought the MX+ as well and using a LGE V410 tablet no issues connecting to ECU. I’ve only connected as I didn’t have a need to reset anything (having done so at my last oil change with DealerTool).

I haven’t overwritten the stock ECU yet as I’ll wait a while for the maps to prove out. I’ve got my PCV until then. Even so, I may eventually only upload the stock ECU to lift the rev limiter but still use the PCV for map adjustments as I have a switch to change between maps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page