Shido Lithium Battery Any Good? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Shido Lithium Battery Any Good?

Hi all,

Looks like I need to buy a new battery. Are these any good/better than stock and can anyone foresee a fitment issue?

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/shido-gel-l...-battery-model
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It turns out my dealership has one of the Shido lithium batteries in stock, at a cost of £73... only £13 more than the standard battery, so Iíve decoded to give it a go as I understand they last a lot longer.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Was it ciphered in the first place to require decoding?

Seriously be interested how you get on with it...
Mike J Commo likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
Was it ciphered in the first place to require decoding?

Seriously be interested how you get on with it...
Oops... maybe I should decide to decode it lol
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
It turns out my dealership has one of the Shido lithium batteries in stock, at a cost of £73... only £13 more than the standard battery, so Iíve decoded to give it a go as I understand they last a lot longer.
The Lithium batteries are a lot lighter than lead acid. My only concern would be the trickle charger as they seem to be a bit specific about what will and what wont work. I take it £73 includes fitting? I have to say that seem a bit steep. A standard lead acid for the Bobber is under £30 such as this one Its not a difficult job to swap the battery.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

After much decoding, Iíve decided to stick to the OEM battery
Forjox and Mike J Commo like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can anyone tell me the correct code or model number for the Bobber battery?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Its a Yuasa YTX9-BS according to Haynes Mike. 8Ah
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
The Lithium batteries are a lot lighter than lead acid. My only concern would be the trickle charger as they seem to be a bit specific about what will and what wont work. I take it £73 includes fitting? I have to say that seem a bit steep. A standard lead acid for the Bobber is under £30 such as this one Its not a difficult job to swap the battery.

I had some info from the Southampton Boat Show for Lithium boat batteries, and they had circuitry built in to take standard 12V charger input... I would think the bike battery would be the same...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 PM
GPz

Lithium Ion batteries definitely have some attractive features and benefits. For example, I'd love to save several pounds of weight and have some extra room in my battery box for other small items (tools, electronics, etc.). I also like the fact that they hold a charge better than lead-acid batteries. But they also carry some negatives and risks. I'm certainly no expert but I believe if you somehow significantly discharge them, they are finished. They also cost more and sometimes need to be "woken up" in really cold weather. That does not bother me much, but what does bother me is the increased risk of fire.

Auto and motorcycle battery manufacturers seem to have gotten that problem under control to a great degree. And they will happily tell you so. But 10-15 years ago the manufacturers of smaller type Li-Ion batteries told us that too, yet there have been countless fires and explosions since then. At an electrical safety regulatory meeting I attended a few years ago a representative from NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) went over several of these events and the subsequent investigations in detail. Some of them had to do with portable, wearable "safety equipment" used in mining. Turns out that years after manufacturers declared the Li-Ion batteries "safe" a few unfortunate people found out that they are sometimes, as the NIOSH representative put it, "latent hand grenades."

I accept the risk of my iPhone having a meltdown because I think the sales volume of those batteries drives more thorough research and potential liability risk for giant companies which results in proportionately smaller risk to me and my family as individuals. I also feel safer knowing my phone is usually with me and I have smoke alarms throughout my home for when I am sleeping. My motorcycle, conversely, sleeps in my garage with cars, power equipment and dispensing containers full of gas, and I do not have any smoke alarms in my garage. My teenagers sleep in bedrooms above and beside my garage, on the opposite side of the house from where my wife and I sleep, so I worry about their safety in the event of a garage fire and potential subsequent gas-fueled explosion.

These are the things I think about each time I consider abandoning lead-acid batteries. At some point I might make the switch, because I like technology and I want the benefits. But I just don't have enough data on Li-Ion motorcycle batteries yet. Your viewpoint and opinion may differ and I totally respect that. After all, the more people who take the plunge before me, the more quickly I will reach my own level of comfort (or determine that the risks have still not been sufficiently mitigated).

-GPz/Gary
ysoslo and Mike J Commo like this.

Last edited by GPz; 05-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page