Getting Cables Inside Handlebars - Triumph Bobber Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Getting Cables Inside Handlebars

Hi,

I have a Bike Brothers Lenke handlebar which is advertised as allowing cables to go inside. However, the gap for the cables is much smaller than any of the plugs will allow, so I imagine I have to fit them by either

1. Cutting the connectors off, feeding the wires through the bars, and then reconnecting the connectors, or
2. Disassembling the handlebar switch clusters, desoldering the wires, feeding them through the bars and then resoldering them.

Both are quite a bit of faff, with high probabilities of messing something up. Am I missing a trick?

- Pasta
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
You can simply depin the connectors, slip the wiring through, then reinstall the connectors. No cutting and no soldering involved. I did that with my clip-ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psychopasta likes this.

"The path of adventure leads to wisdom"
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Bag
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hi,

I have a Bike Brothers Lenke handlebar which is advertised as allowing cables to go inside. However, the gap for the cables is much smaller than any of the plugs will allow, so I imagine I have to fit them by either

1. Cutting the connectors off, feeding the wires through the bars, and then reconnecting the connectors, or
2. Disassembling the handlebar switch clusters, desoldering the wires, feeding them through the bars and then resoldering them.

Both are quite a bit of faff, with high probabilities of messing something up. Am I missing a trick?

- Pasta
Or... you could change the complete switchgear while you are at it, need new levers for clutch/brake, in addition to this:

https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/fr...t120-t100.html
Psychopasta likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
You can simply depin the connectors, slip the wiring through, then reinstall the connectors. No cutting and no soldering involved. I did that with my clip-ons.
Hey @John , how simple is it to depin the connectors? The pins seem to be held in pretty tight to me. Is there a tool for the job?
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hey @John , how simple is it to depin the connectors? The pins seem to be held in pretty tight to me. Is there a tool for the job?

There are specific tool sets made for depinning electrical wiring connectors that can be purchased very affordably (maybe even Amazon). The other option is a VERY small (like an optician’s or electrician’s) flathead screwdriver. Reaching into the connector from pin side, there is a molded plastic projection that essentially “springs” itself into a small slot or opening on the pin terminal. By gently pressing it back, one pin at a time, you can remove the wire, pin and all, out the back, or wire side, of the connector housing. Take careful note of what wire comes out of what pin location on each connector! You will eventually be sliding the pin right back into that same spot. No tools needed for re-assembly.

DanFromVegas likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM

The before and after clutch cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 19.56.38.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	32541  
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Garage
The entire process takes only a minute for each connector to be removed safely. If you have to use any force beyond a simple pinch-and pull between thumb and forefinger, you probably don’t have the tab fully released from the pin! I like to pinch the wire, push INTO the connector housing very lightly (this frees any mechanical tension on the pin/tab interface), move the tab with the tool, THEN slide the wire out. Works like a charm after very little practice. Takes the nerves out of doing electrical modifications!

Forjox and DanFromVegas like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The entire process takes only a minute for each connector to be removed safely. If you have to use any force beyond a simple pinch-and pull between thumb and forefinger, you probably don’t have the tab fully released from the pin! I like to pinch the wire, push INTO the connector housing very lightly (this frees any mechanical tension on the pin/tab interface), move the tab with the tool, THEN slide the wire out. Works like a charm after very little practice. Takes the nerves out of doing electrical modifications!

Maybe take a pic of each connector first - for those with a memory like mine
ysoslo, John and DanFromVegas like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 PM

I purchased this "tool" set for terminal removal. They look promising, I haven't used them yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chico
Mar-Vel likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page