Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Top speed

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob Axel 
#1 ·
I bet this has been discussed but I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to get rid of the 110 to 115 top speed limit. I feel as tho it is set way to low since I can hit it in 4th gear and still have 5th and 6th left

#4 ·
It isnt hard to do even with the high bars. I have been alot faster with other bikes including my tl1000r 165mph,r1 180mph and right before my bobber my speed triple r 155mph. Riding position means nothing for top speed as how the bike feels at speed does. And the bobber is stable at 115 so idk why they set that limit

#11 ·
I will try to get a video when the weather is good enough to let me finally ride. I live un iowa and live on 6 miles of gravel. So no riding for a bit still. Any tips how to do the video, I only have my cell to do it with and I really dont like the idea of one hand riding at top speed.

#12 ·
Let me make a point that hasn't been mentioned. I rode beyond 150mph back when, if you wanted a machine capable of doing that, you had to spend a bunch of money and build it. And even though I'm now old enough to know better, I intend to see what my Bobber Black will do once it's past break-in. So I totally get the desire to go fast.

BUT... if you've ever gone really fast on a motorcycle which, with almost zero warning, suddenly went into a terrifying high-speed wobble, you would look very closely at how the Bobber's frame is constructed before you took one much past 115. You'd also make darn sure you torqued down every one of those frame bolts and engine mount bolts that comprise the Bobber's squirrely "chassis" before asking it to do something it was not designed to do.

-GPz

#13 ·
I have ridden a BMW sport bike on the Autobahn. The bike didn't have a great wind screen so I got buffeted but I managed to get up to 145 mph (not kph) by drafting an "S" class Mercedes. After that experience I can tell you that there is no way I would ride a Bobber over 85 mph and I would only do that for a short time.

#14 ·
In the old days..... all bikes were unfaired; Xs650, xs1100, cb900, gs1000 etc. Didn’t stop us going for it speed wise and that was without the tyre/ brake standards back then (they didn’t work in the wet either). Suspension was practically non adjustable and poorer to begin with compared to what the standard bobber has. Add in open face helmets, comparatively lower quality leathers etc and we are in a much better place to push the bobber speed when we want to.
My point is, it’s not so bad......

#15 ·
Glad this post popped up. I was searching the web for just this info, only to find 115mph. Thought it was kinda strange since a couple days earlier, I got into a pissing contest with my wife.. my blood started to boil and I had to get out before I lost my sh*t. Hopped on the bobber and cranked it out... shifted before hitting the 7000 on the limiter, but low and behold I was at 106 in 4th and didn't even realize it... smooth ride..
Once I realized what I did, I kicked my self in the ass all day..
Oh, yeah.. still waiting for those wheelie pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.