Bike Brothers tail light adapter - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RRBuGGz75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Bike Brothers tail light adapter

Has anyone used the Bike Brothers tail light adapter? I like the idea of not splicing into the stock tail light harness. Has any one experienced an ABS failure light come on after installing a combination indicator/brake light when just splicing into the stock wiring? Is a diode needed to avoid an ABS light?

https://www.bb-speedshop.de/en/trium...ts-bobber-1200
Ole Fella likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

I have both spliced the OEM wiring AND then used the BB adapter (once it arrived after a slight delay).
Splicing was done at my local Triumph garage and was a PITA, though once done no diodes were needed & no fault codes appeared.
The BB adaptor was very, very easy to install in comparison and again, no fault codes appeared nor diodes required.
I am still using the BB adaptor with their chopped fender/integrated taillight setup.

I recommend speaking to Markus @ BikeBrothers if you feel like you will have issues. He is very helpful.

Last edited by eisen77; 03-11-2019 at 04:40 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I have both spliced the OEM wiring AND then used the BB adapter (once it arrived after a slight delay).
Splicing was done at my local Triumph garage and was a PITA, though once done no diodes were needed & no fault codes appeared.
The BB adaptor was very, very easy to install in comparison and again, no fault codes appeared nor diodes required.
I am still using the BB adaptor with their chopped fender/integrated taillight setup.

I recommend speaking to Markus @ BikeBrothers if you feel like you will have issues. He is very helpful.

Good to hear. I'm pretty comfortable with wiring but really prefer not cutting any factory wiring if I can avoid it so I went ahead and ordered the adapter. But this is the first I've heard of needing a diode to avoid triggering an ABS light especially seeing how many people have replaced their rear fender/lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBuGGz75 View Post
Good to hear. I'm pretty comfortable with wiring but really prefer not cutting any factory wiring if I can avoid it so I went ahead and ordered the adapter. But this is the first I've heard of needing a diode to avoid triggering an ABS light especially seeing how many people have replaced their rear fender/lights.
The tail lights loom is pants, I completely stripped mine and rebuilt it to a level of quality that I would accept, not sure how Triumph accepted it. Replaced all my lights and then only had a slight quicker flash than normal. But then bought a new rage cycles integral unit, which was plug and play and removed all my hard work. But to do it I had to remove the air box for a bit, which involves disconnecting a sensor, which after rebuild has left the engine light on, this I have to investigate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0769.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	31323  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I came across the Motone tail light adapter as well. I wonder if it's the same as the BB adapter. I haven't pulled all the factory wire out to see what the harness by the battery looks like.

Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapter - LC Triumphs - Motone, LLC
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Brian (A&J Cycles) says that Motone adapter won’t work with the Bobber. Connectors are wrong.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Brian (A&J Cycles) says that Motone adapter wonít work with the Bobber. Connectors are wrong.

Thanks for the heads up. I had went ahead an ordered that one as well just out of curiosity. Luckily no restocking fees on Motone returns.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBuGGz75 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I had went ahead an ordered that one as well just out of curiosity. Luckily no restocking fees on Motone returns.

Here's a comparison of both adapters. The bobber uses a much smaller plug. I wish Motone would edit and remove bobber compatibility on the product description. If anyone plans on using the Bike Brothers adapter remove the diode soldered into the brake wire. Maybe its needed on bikes without LED lights, but the brake light on my BB didn't work until I removed the diode. If I had to do it again I would have just cut the stock harness and splice in new wires. Not that hard to repair if you want to go back stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5797.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	31753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	31755  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

That must be something new on the BIKE BROTHERS second generation adapters. Mine was the first release (or even pre first release!) version and I definitely didnít have any diode issues. I was present during both installs and am 100% sure about that.

Thanks for sharing your comparison.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page