• 1 Post By eisen77
  • 1 Post By eisen77
  • 1 Post By fe.frenchy
  • 1 Post By eisen77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

JW Speaker (motodemic) adaptive headlight issue

A glorious day for a ride and while heading towards a junction i catch a glimpse of my head-on reflection in a restaurant window (yes, i like looking at mysef ).
Something was amiss - NO main beam from the front headlight (just the small ¨parking light).

When i got home, i tested the headlight out only to find that the adaptive side lights were not functioning properly and the main beam was dead as a doornail.
The high beam was working properly.

Unscrewed and tested all connections/plugs and could not find an issue, so i plugged in the OEM headlight and everything works perfectly.
So it looks like my JW Speaker (motodemic) headlight has developed a fault.

I have contacted Louis.de (where i purchased it from) and i´ll keep the forum posted about how the issue is dealt with.

In the meantime, if anyone has had similar issues or ideas what it could be...please let me know.

main beam -kaput:

high beams: perfect

OEM back on and working:

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Louis responded this morning asking me to send the headlight back with an explanation of what the issues are and a shipment receipt so they can reimburse the cost.
Once they have the light, they will see what is wrong and decide how to take it from there.

So far i am very pleased with their fast response and gentle handling of the matter.

I will keep this post updated as it progresses.
ysoslo likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yah, keep us posted. For the cost of this headlight, a little surprised to see this occurring. I get probs can happen with anything, but darn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Things break, but I guess the “adaptive”
part makes the light a bit more fragile and complex.
Luckily I kept (and found!) all the OEM parts to revert back to standard.
I’d forgotten how good the standard headlight looks and I’m not too worried about illumination as I don’t really ride the Bobber at night during winter.
I just bought one of these to squeeze out a bit more brightness & hopefully be more noticeable to other drivers.
But it’ll be nice to get the motodemic back soon.
Rocky likes this.

Last edited by eisen77; 12-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

While waiting for LOUIS MOTO to resolve the JW Speaker issue, i installed a Philips CristalVision bulb.

I’ve got it say that I am MIGHTY impressed by its output, color and intensity for such a “cheap” replacement.
Of course it’s not as bright or clear as the PATHFINDER LED, but it also costs 1/4 (or less) of the price and isn’t that far behind in terms of performance during daylight hours.

A worthy stocking filler for those wishing to keep a road legal (homologated), stock bulb that gives off a brighter Xenon effect light.

The T10 parking light bulb:

Last edited by eisen77; 12-18-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM

I put in a JW Speaker Adaptive 8690 (motodemic) this last weekend and have to say it is literally a game changer for riding at night. Don’t think I could go back to stock lighting. Hope they get you a replacement unit ASAP.
ysoslo likes this.

“Questions aren’t stupid, just people”
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe.frenchy View Post
I put in a JW Speaker Adaptive 8690 (motodemic) this last weekend and have to say it is literally a game changer for riding at night. Don’t think I could go back to stock lighting. Hope they get you a replacement unit ASAP.
Thanks.
I agree, the 8690 is a fantastic headlight.

Riding at night during winter is not something i generally do on the Bobber, so the headlight actually chose a good time to give up the ghost
I find that for daytime riding, the new Philips works really well and i prefer it to the OEM bulb.

I am eager to find out what the issue is with mine and i hope they tell me. But Louis will probably just send out a new one, as mine is only a year old with zero rides in the bad weather & no damage what-so-ever.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Garage
Did they give you any idea of how long it may take for them to identify the issue? I'm curious about the outcome, so I can keep an eye on mine for potentially the same issue if it stops working.

Each one matters.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
Did they give you any idea of how long it may take for them to identify the issue? I'm curious about the outcome, so I can keep an eye on mine for potentially the same issue if it stops working.
It would NOT be funny if that happened on a trip.
However, the high beam functioned perfectly so theoretically it would be possible to continue in the dark while blinding every oncoming vehicle

I’ll let you know what they say....IF they reveal the issue.
ysoslo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page