Self canceling turn signal module - Triumph Bobber Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Self canceling turn signal module

Anyone install one of these? Since I'm used to having it on my Indian Scout and previous HDs, I find it a major PITA when I forget to turn the signal off and am riding down the road like some old lady with the blinker on. I see that AJ Cylcles had it from STS. Is installation quick and easy? Does it work flawlessly? Thanks.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:27 AM

I installed it with Brian at A&J this past weekend. So far so good. Seemed a little unreliable with slight lane changes on the highway if you weren’t leaning enough. Regular turns it worked flawlessly. I need to get back out and ride but it’s been raining before I give it a lengthier review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Anyone install one of these? Since I'm used to having it on my Indian Scout and previous HDs, I find it a major PITA when I forget to turn the signal off and am riding down the road like some old lady with the blinker on. I see that AJ Cylcles had it from STS. Is installation quick and easy? Does it work flawlessly? Thanks.
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you like it on more rides. Was the installation difficult? About how much time did it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Garage
I had self cancelling on my '76 Yam RD200DX... work of the devil... Same with the Hardly's I've ridden... Having ridden so long without, I am very happy not to have that particular technology... On a highway I'll indicate for an off ramp maybe quarter of a mile ahead or more (depending on speed ). In the UK there are lots of places with multiple turns in a short distance, so I may only indicate 20 yards or less, so as not to confuse others. No self canceller I've yet met could cope with that
Guffer likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you like it on more rides. Was the installation difficult? About how much time did it take?
We installed it for Steve and have done a few on Bobbers. The install is straight forward. We trim a small piece on the backside of the battery cover to mount the unit. The wires that need to be spliced are under the tank at the back left side. We use a 24” extension harness to make the install easier.
BobberNoir likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM

I like to ride down the road with my right signal blinking. It says, "Dumb ass, dumb ass, dumb ass."

Just about all of my BMWs had self canceling signals. It was difficult switching to Triumph. Most of the time I remember to switch the turn signal off. Sometimes I don't.
jerrman likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:20 AM

I purchased one from A & J, installed it myself with the extension harness, and have been using it for about a year. I LOVE IT> Of course there is no reasonable explanation why Triumph does not include self-cancelling turn signals as standard SAFETY equipment, as my HDs have long done, but they don't. I hated to use my signals prior to that as I would always forget to cancel them.
Roy likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Never had a problem with my "self canceling indicators"... I just put my hand back on the handlebars ....
gfspencer and Guzzilazz like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=Guzzilazz;154181: In the UK there are lots of places with multiple turns in a short distance, so I may only indicate 20 yards or less, so as not to confuse others. No self canceller I've yet met could cope with that[/QUOTE]

My Indian Scout version seems to work fine for just about any turns. I sure get used to it. I use the Scout for longer trips so when I come to the Bobber it takes me awhile to adjust to the signal being a manual shut-off. I also think the cancel switch requires a bit more pressure than it should, needing to press down firmly or it sometimes doesn’t cancel. A softer touch would IMO make much more sense. After all, it’s just canceling the signal not turning it on. Like DOCGSS, I’m also mystified why Triumph doesn’t include this since the Bobber is way ahead of my Scout on key tech like traction control and ABS. For lane changing I wish it had what my Mini Cooper has (and probably other cars) which is a soft push and the signal goes on for about 3-seconds then turns off. It doesn’t run continuously unless you push the signal stalk to the second position which you’d do in a full 90 degree left/right turn, you’re in a turning lane or want to signal way ahead that you’re planning a turn. May be all small issues but, it’s one less distraction.
Guzzilazz likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
Never had a problem with my "self canceling indicators"... I just put my hand back on the handlebars ....
I learned how to drive in 1962. Back in those days before you could get your license you had to demonstrate your knowledge of hand signals.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page