Bobber won't start! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Bobber won't start!

I'm posting this tale as it might help someone else in the future:
Yesterday I was planning on a day ride on the Bobber. Pulled her out of the garage after checking tire pressure, started the starting sequence, turn key to "on", light and instrument lights up, depress clutch lever, press start button, nothing happens except all lights go off in a nano second. Tried again, nothing, she's dead. Decided to defer looking into the issue and returned her to the garage. Pulled out my Tiger 800, which started like a clock and off I went, nice 90 F degree day.
In the Evening I started to check the fuses, all good. Took the battery out of it's "cave", big pain in the butt. Got 12.8 volts, not bad. Connected a trickle charger/ optimate after 2 minutes went to green and measured 13.4 volts. Checked with a load tester, it read 12.8. Decided to sleep on this issue.
After some pondering prior to falling asleep I had an idea, re-connected battery, this is the part that might be helpful. Try the spare key. She fired right up. I called the dealer and was told that it's not unusual for the key to loose the code from it's memory. Hooray for electronics.

Chico
Roy likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
After some pondering prior to falling asleep I had an idea, re-connected battery, this is the part that might be helpful. Try the spare key. She fired right up. I called the dealer and was told that it's not unusual for the key to loose the code from it's memory. Hooray for electronics.

Chico

Thanks Chico. Lucky for you being still at home. Would have been a huge bummer if on the road far away. Guess I will start tucking the spare key somewhere for each ride.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
So, Triumph, for free, re-programming your key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM

Why cant we just have a "KEY" KEY !!!...its supposed to be a RETRO LOOKING bike so needs a RETRO KEY ffs !!
gfspencer likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM

That happened to me once when I was riding a rented BMW. The BMW would not recognize the key. The tour company ended up giving me another bike. It was a giant pain in the rear.

I'm glad your problem happened at your home.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Chico,

Thank you for sharing that, good to know. Now I plan to carry a spare key in my riding gear.

As has already been said "why can't a key just be a key"...! Well chosen words indeed.

Cheerio,

Roy
gfspencer likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it was fortunate that it happened at home. The Triumph dealer will reprogram the key. The strange part of this story is that after trying the spare key I tried the original key and it worked. The new bikes/cars have strange gremlins hiding in unknown places.

Chico
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 AM

On my 2014 Tiger this happened more than once. The ignition would get hot from the sun and the bike wouldn't recognize the key. Trick with the Tiger was to pour water on it to cool it down. Had to do that more than once. Also have several occasions where it wouldn't prompt the fuel pump (you can really hear them on the Tiger) and I would pull out and reinstall until it got over its acting up. Never had to fiddle with getting a key reprogrammed , just learned to look out for its odd behavior.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Garage
This happened to me the other day when I was out running errands. Took the key back out to make sure I hadn't turned it too far and put it back in. All of the lights came on like they should, but the start button failed to bring the bike to life. Finally, I sheepishly put the kickstand up and she fired right up! It ain't easy getting old (and sometimes forgetful)...lol

Each one matters.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
It ain't easy getting old (and sometimes forgetful)...lol
Aaaahhhh... a bit out of context, but let me share my story to make you feel better:

Be me. Test ride Bobber. All great. Buy Bobber. Pick it up. Wow.
At the first intersection when putting the left foot down, hit the sidestand and instantly kill the engine in city traffic. Sheepish smile (under the helmet), put the stand back up, start, lalalala.

A minute later pull into the gas station to fill up the tank, put her in first gear before stopping. Fill her up. Turn on the ignition, hit the start button --- oh. Nope, that's not start. That is the mode button now. Start her up. Aaah yeah. Now how to get back to road mode? Mode button does not do anything?
Aaaah, maybe because I have the clutch pulled, let it go. Plummet forward. Still had her in first gear.

Looks like all my bike riding experience went down the drain in those few minutes. Embarrassing.

The "kick sidestand down when stopping" thing happened many more times in the first few days, until I learnt to move my foot further out when taking it from the footpeg.

Tom
bofor likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page