Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Bobber Black.

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lionel 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Just saw that the Bobber has its own forum.
Have just sold my 2012 T100 and was going to order a 2017 model Bobber.
But then I saw that they are introducing the Bobber black next year.
Basically the same bike but with fatter forks,47mm against 41mm,and twin discs and Brembos up front.
From what ive read in reviews the 2017 Bobber handles really well, I just wonder if the smaller and fatter front wheel will change that. Am waiting for the launch and some bike press reviews.
Does anyone know the launch date?
Not possible to test ride one where i live,no dealer stock.
Also,with all that black powder coat,engine,exhausts,headers etc,which ive never owned before,I wonder how easy it will be to keep in good condition and clean.
I had heard there were some corrosion issues with the brushed alluminium finish.
Many thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Hi, having ridden other fat tired bikes with 16” front wheels I suspect the BB will steer a little slower than the original but I’m sure it’ll handle, Triumph go the extra mile to make sure all their bikes do :wink2:

Do you need twin disks and beefed up forks? Well that all depends on what you’re used to, how you ride and I guess what you weigh? I’ve heard lots of people complain about the brakes, the suspension, and the ground clearance. But that's not what I’ve found, compared to my old Harley48 the brakes are awesome! Yes, you do have to use all your fingers and fair bit of back brake but it stops well and you’ve got ABS as a back up if you grab too much.

The stock suspension is firm and it doesn’t always soak up the pot holes but again compared to the 48 it's Rolls Royce smooth and with my 170lbs onboard there’s loads of ground clearance. Obviously if your coming from a sports bike or an adventure bike you’re in for a bit of a culture shock, but for the type of bike it is, it’s great, and I think the original front set up with the single disk looks way better than the BB.

Black coated everything should make the BB easier to keep clean but be warned the Bobber does take some cleaning, those old-school looks provide lots of nooks and crannies for the dirt, so be prepared to spend loads of time polishing. But just go for whichever bike you like most, because whether you choose the original, the BB, or the Speedmaster it’ll be great, you won’t be disappointed!:smile2:

#3 ·
Reckon youre right about the slower turn in with the bigger front end. But i kind of like the more solid look of the BB front.
Been riding a T100 for the last few years so used to cleaning the awkward engine bits.
Was a bit worried that at 6 foot, i might feel cramped on the Bobber,but see many taller guys riding them so I guess not.

#4 ·
Compared to your T100 you’re going to have to trade performance for a bit of practicality but that’s the price you pay for looking so much cooler!

You can use a Bobber to commute, you can use one to tour, and I’m sure some mad soul will take one on a track day but for all of these things there are better bikes out there.

The clues in the name: The Bobber’s perfect for bobbing around on and for that it’s unsurpassed :)

And don’t worry about being 6’ I’m 6’ plus too and with the seat in the fully back position it fits me a treat.

If you love the look of the BB then go for it.

#6 ·
I reckon the BB would look awesome with the Morello paintjob tank.
So you can be sure if I go for the BB now, then they will release the BB with coloured tanks next.
Either way I would really like to compare the original to the BB for looks, but no chance of doing that where I live.
But pretty sure I prefer the beefed up front end,but thats just personal choice.
Would be interested to hear any handling comparisons if anyone gets to test both bikes.

#8 ·
Not sure about the handling with the fatter tyres but the standard Bobber handles really really well and I don't find the single disc a problem- just leave a bigger gap to the guy in front ! I had a Scrambler with black engine and it was a nightmare to keep clean as I do get caught in the rain on longer journeys. I keep a thin coating of spray silicone on the alloy cases- it's not really noticeable and will keep your cases pristine BUT don't ride on salted roads or they will go white over night ! Yours is a nice dilemma to have .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.