Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Ignition Damage

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Roy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post and unfortunately not a happy one.

Someone has attempted to steal my Bobber Black. As a result the ignition barrel has been destroyed.
Does anyone know the cheapest way to fix this? Can you get a barrel from Triumph to match your key?

Thanks in advance

Rab

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey Rab! Welcome!

Wow That Sucks!

In theory, I think you should be able to get one relatively simply. But, getting it changed out however, might be a little more involved.

It's just a guess on my part, as I haven't had to trace the wiring, or do anything else with the ignition for that matter, but I believe it plugs directly into the VCU, which is buried in front of the swing arm.

You shouldn't need to worry about the keys though. Did you receive a small tag with the keys, when you bought the bike, it would have a key code stamped on it? If you didn't, Triumph may be able to come up with it, via your VIN. Then it should just be a matter of your dealer, or part person, contacting Triumph and getting a replacement ignition module, with a tumbler to match the keys sent to them.

I think the rest of that assembly is just a proximity transmitter/receiver module with the key tumbler barrel inserted inside. The decoding and acceptance part should be done by the VCU. In short, the part you need to replace shouldn't care what key you use as long as the tumbler is right. It just transmits and receives the query sent to the key, and passes it on,,,

I think.. I could be right out to lunch! :smile2:

Still Sucks though....:frown2:

I hate to say it, but you might want to file a claim with your insurance if you haven't already, it might get expensive..

I hope you will keep us posted, I am curious as to what needs to happen!

#17 ·
I don't think so, But that's just a guess, I believe it only acts as an access point for the immobilizer and the key to communicate.

Those who've done the air-box delete will tell you the ignition switch wiring harness routes to a connector under the left side filter. It's the grey plug in the pix.
:laugh: Done the air box delete and did not know that! Its a good day already, learned something new today!

#18 · (Edited)
Update and good news

So I rang my local Triumph dealer and they recommended I buy the whole lock kit, new petrol cap etc... at over £500.

Wild money so I just ordered the lock with an uncoded key @ £150.

I got it on Friday and connected it straight up and thought if I had the new key in the ignition and the old key beside it the reader would pick it up and send it to the ecu. Not the case!

So then I removed the barrel from the new lock and replaced it with the old barrel. Connected it up and Bobs ur uncle, it started first kick.

Thanks for all the help guys and I've just ordered some pod filters seeing as I have the airbox out!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.