Where are all the Triumphs? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Roy
  • 2 Post By Mike J Commo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Where are all the Triumphs?

So I’m on vacation from NYC to Europe. I’ve been to Amsterdam, Paris and now London. Despite seeing hundreds of bikes, mostly scooters, I’ve seen only one Triumph, a Tiger. I expected to see a lot more...Do they love their Triumphs here in the UK? Also, how close is the museum to downtown London and is it worth seeing?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM

I've got 4 of them in my garage, + a speed twin in 2 weeks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM

My understanding is that Triumph's sales are about 58,000 units worldwide. With those numbers they are relatively rare. No problem just adds to the cache. Around my homes in the US many complement my Bobber and then ask how old is it. They had no idea Triumph was still making bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4768.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	31009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
I've got 4 of them in my garage, + a speed twin in 2 weeks.
Hi TR3,

I almost clicked 'like' on your post but had second thoughts, with all those lovely Triumphs my jealously stopped me...I wish there was an "I'm Jealous" button.....

Cheerio,

Roy
DevilDog and Mike J Commo like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So Iím on vacation from NYC to Europe. Iíve been to Amsterdam, Paris and now London. Despite seeing hundreds of bikes, mostly scooters, Iíve seen only one Triumph, a Tiger. I expected to see a lot more...Do they love their Triumphs here in the UK? Also, how close is the museum to downtown London and is it worth seeing?
Head to the bike shed if in London and have a bite to eat. Youíll see some Bonnies there most likely... but all the bikers that visit have to ride through the dining area to reach the parking area... very cool
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
how close is the museum to downtown London and is it worth seeing?
There are loads of great free museums in downtown London, which are definitely worth checking out but I guess you're talking about the Triumph Factory museum? That's not close it's a two and a bit hour drive away, it's cool but it's not very big, you can see everything that's there in an hour so unless you can combine it with a factory tour, which you have to book in advance it would be hard to recommend.

Like the others have said if you get the chance check out the bike shed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 AM

It's funny, in Wash DC I see Triumphs regularly. Pass a T100 and a Street Twin every day on my commute, and see others riding around. I guess because we have probably three dealers in the area. But, am happy to say I have yet to see another Bobber on the road...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Wasnít it the British mandate from the 60ís that encouraged manufacturing to export heavily so as to bring in much welcomed export dollars.

Maybe itís a traditional way of thinking that continues tothis day.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:51 PM

I see plenty of Triumphs around London, mainly scramblers, T120's, but very few Bobbers. Mainly in the west end. Google hipsters venues in London, you should be able to find a few bikes in those areas.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphrider View Post
Wasnít it the British mandate from the 60ís that encouraged manufacturing to export heavily so as to bring in much welcomed export dollars.

Maybe itís a traditional way of thinking that continues tothis day.
From what I have heard about 50% of British motorcycles went to the US in the 50s and 60s due to the Lend Lease Pact. The Brits had to pay for the guns the Americans gave them in WWII.

I'd say Triumph bikes are often seen in the UK but I see more Japanese and German bikes on that small island. Over here - Germany that is - Triumph sold 135 bikes in January 2019, that's 3.09 % of the total sales over here. In comparison BMW sold 383 BMW R 1250 GS models alone of of a total of 974 bikes in that period.......

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page