Bobber in the rain - Triumph Bobber Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Bobber in the rain

So I got caught in rain for the first time tonight...I put my Bobber Black in rain mode and drove home about 8 miles from the restaurant I was eating at. I rode a little lighter than usual and braked a little softer but all in all the bike handled perfectly. No slips or or the ABS engaging at all. Unfortunately I’ve got a dirty bike for the first time. Ugh.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 AM

Garage
Hi,
I only drove on wet floor since I bought the bike on Friday evening, with or without rain and I got the same feelings as you.
Easy driving, no problems occurred.
Unfortunately my bike became dirty just out the dealer, but the matt black colour looks beautiful anyway!!!

Fabrizio

2018 Bobber Black in matt jet black colour. Remus black exhaust system. Free Spirits x-pipe. Corbin all black leather seat. OEM auxiliary power socket. RAM Mounts systems for GPS navigator and cell phone.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Roy

Garage
Sounds great, thanks for the report.

I got caught in the rain for the first time on my road trip last week. Just a light shower for around 30 miles or so, no really enough to prompt me to stop and get my wet-weather gear out.

That said I also stitched over to rain mode and felt the bike did admirable.

Of course I'm still cleaning it...

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 PM

You guys talk like rain is something mysterious and when you see cloud, the bike will be garaged away.
I got hundreds of rain kilometers my this year 16k season kilometrage. Mostly light rain, but days when balls are wet and you can pour water out of shoes.
120km/h is good speed for rain, also keeps helmet visible, haven't seen any point to use rain mode.
Avon tires have worked well.

Only bad thing is, the bike gets **** dirty and must be washed straight away before dirt will dry and stick.
The good thing is that rain will clean jacket from insects, which ae a lot in my erea
NorEaster likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Rain Mode?

Oh yea, i remember the dealer talking about that when i picked it up.

I might have tried it once, but can't really remember switching to it intentionally though

We have ABS which is fairly ok, only kicked it in once and i went bright red after doing that. TCS again it's fairly good except on manhole covers where the back end spins up in the dry let alone the wet.

So with the two of those defaulted on every time you turn the ignition on, what's the point of the 'Rain Mode' (IMHO anyway)

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivx675 View Post
You guys talk like rain is something mysterious and when you see cloud, the bike will be garaged away.
I got hundreds of rain kilometers my this year 16k season kilometrage. Mostly light rain, but days when balls are wet and you can pour water out of shoes.
120km/h is good speed for rain, also keeps helmet visible, haven't seen any point to use rain mode.
Avon tires have worked well.

Only bad thing is, the bike gets **** dirty and must be washed straight away before dirt will dry and stick.
The good thing is that rain will clean jacket from insects, which ae a lot in my erea
I certainly here you on that.

After spending most of my riding life in the UK and riding all year around, if I never have to ride in another drop of rain (unlikely though) I will be happy.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM

Garage
It's ok if you have a bike that isn't of the jaw dropping beauty of the Triumph Modern Classics, but having picked my bike up in the wet and having to spend so much time cleaning it's something I'd never want to do to that level again…

When I rode my Norge to Italy, we got to the bottom of the road up to the Gothard tunnel and it just started to drizzle. I stopped and put my waterproof oversuit on over my leathers. It rained a bit harder all the way up to the tunnel, but when I got out on the Italian side it was like the second flood!

Got to Bellinzona and decided to go into the services for a hot drink, and after I got up from the table, there was a 15ft diameter puddle around me....

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards

Last edited by Guzzilazz; 10-30-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 PM

I got caught in the rain on my way home from the dealership with my new 2018...I washed the **** thing...in the rain in my driveway...before putting it in the garage and drying it...I dunno what's wrong with me...I'm thinking lead paint or my mother didn't read to me enough
Forjox likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 03:22 PM

Staying in Scotland this rain mode and I will become very well aquatinted 🙈😔
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:25 PM

good tip is to familiarize yourself with switching the mode, so that you're not all fumbling around figuring out how to switch it if you do get caught in instances where you'll need it. some folks like to switch it to rain mode for smoother throttle when times where you're doing a lot of slow maneuvering.
Ribkick and gfspencer like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page