Questions surrounding fuel capacity & mileage - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Questions surrounding fuel capacity & mileage

Hi guys,

I've read posts on this forum and others, regarding the Bobber's fuel range, and answers are fairly mixed.

I have a 2018 Bobber Black, and if I'm going by what the fuel gauge tells me, I only really get around 70 - 75 miles to a tank. I'm averaging 50 - 55mpg.

Could you share how many miles you get out of your tank and at what mpg? When the tank says there are only a few miles left, is this the official reading or can you get more miles out of it?

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Matt
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Just an example, if you read this article, the rider is averaging 55mpg and he had 102 miles out of a full tank..

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn-m...irst-thoughts/

I want to know whether this is going by the reading on the fuel gauge, or if you can keep going even when empty? Is there a reserve? It would be great to know.

Cheers,

Matt
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 PM

You should be able to get around 100 miles from a full tank. I don't pay much (any?) attention to the fuel gauge. The miles to empty feature is worthless.
unparalleledltwin likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:53 PM

I go about 100 miles give or take. I do use the miles till empty feature as a gauge , but have driven it down to 0 a couple times seeking fuel in unfamiliar areas. I've put 2.3 gallons in it both times , so it will drink every last drop off the bottom of that tank if pushed. After that , you start pushing. I don't look good pushing.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
You should be able to get around 100 miles from a full tank. I don't pay much (any?) attention to the fuel gauge. The miles to empty feature is worthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
I go about 100 miles give or take. I do use the miles till empty feature as a gauge , but have driven it down to 0 a couple times seeking fuel in unfamiliar areas. I've put 2.3 gallons in it both times , so it will drink every last drop off the bottom of that tank if pushed. After that , you start pushing. I don't look good pushing.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to fill my tank right up and reset the trip meter, ride economically and see how the mileage of the trip meter compares to that of the fuel gauge. Hopefully I can get around 100 miles.

I appreciate it's a subjective area, as it does purely come down to how hard you're riding the bike. When the gauge says zero, how many more actual miles do you think you have left, on average, or is that genuinely it?

Cheers,

Matt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:57 PM

Garage
I donít look to refuel till I hit 120 miles and constantly manage 130 miles per tank. However, I did on one occasion find to my shock, that one of my regular fuel stop stations was closed which resulted in 142 miles... couldnít have had much more in the tank but the bike showed now signs of being low on fuel, fuel gauge aside. None the less and needless to say that my bum was very tight during those last few miles!

Also to add... if you look into the tank youíll spot three small holes, (from memory itís three?) I always fill up just above this mark, so the holes are slightly submerged. When you have such a small capacity tank... every little helps!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStallion View Post
Hi guys,

Could you share how many miles you get out of your tank and at what mpg? When the tank says there are only a few miles left, is this the official reading or can you get more miles out of it?

Matt
When I'm bobbing around doing lots of short to medium runs on the backroads where I live, I typically get around 85miles going from brimmed (filled up on the side stand) to fuel warning light. At the gas station that usually equates to a refill of around 6litres of fuel. The Bobber's tank is 9.1litres, doing the math that roughly gives me a 130mile range to empty, which gives me a very usable everyday range of 110miles leaving 20 in reserve. Now if I'm trying to keep up with my mates on faster bikes that can drop to 75mile between warning lights but conversely if I'm on a longer run, riding mainly in 6th on a constant throttle, it's not difficult to get 100miles before the fuel warning light flashes on, giving a theoretical range of around 150miles.

I know many modern riders have been spoiled riding adventure bikes with 200miles+ tank range, but I have no problem at all with the fuel range on the Bobber I think it's perfect for the type of bike it is!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Garage
I completely agree... Iím more than happy with being able to cover 130 miles between refills. I canít possibly sit on the bike for any longer without my ar$e complaint anyway!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 PM

I went 125 miles. I still could go about 10 more miles before running out
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 AM

Garage
I always rely on the miles-to-empty gauge and it usually has me looking for a place to fill up around 130 miles a tank, with plenty of leeway there, because I usually put in less than 2 gallons.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page