Tank pads - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By gfspencer
  • 1 Post By Psychopasta
  • 3 Post By Triumphrider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Tank pads

I bought the Union Jack tank pads from Motone but haven’t put them on my bike yet because I’m concerned they will ruin the matte paint on my tank if I decide to remove them at some point. Has anyone removed tank pads and had an issue with their paint?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bought the Union Jack tank pads from Motone but havenít put them on my bike yet because Iím concerned they will ruin the matte paint on my tank if I decide to remove them at some point. Has anyone removed tank pads and had an issue with their paint?
I have removed Triumph tank pads from a GLOSS tank with no problems. I use a piece of nylon fishing line and draw it under the pad. I clean up with a little goo gone. However, I'm not sure what would happen to matte paint.

I clean gunk off of my matte exhaust cans with Citra Solv. I don't get a shine.
Roy likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM

I would try heating up area with a blow dryer or low setting on a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive on the tank pads and slowly lift away. I also wouldn't use anything like a credit card to scrape any glue off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

The only issue you might have is that paint changes slightly over time due to the light, and the covered region will not. When you remove the pad, you may notice a small difference in color between the covered and uncovered area. It will probably look quite nice, as it will have the outline of the tank pad, and people will wonder how you did it.
unparalleledltwin likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Matte Black Finish

I am also thinking of adding tank pads. So when and if we remove the pads from the tank. Will there be any change in the texture or the paint itself? Understand the fading issue, really not concerned. Only concerned about muffing up the Matte.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 PM

I donít think you can prevent fading from UV, but I would think that would take a very long time to happen. If your concerned about the tank pads being too aggressive on mat coloured paint you can always first apply a black vinyl film cut out in the shape of the pads and lay the pads over them. Might just give you peace of mind if your concerned.

In my experience though, once you remove the oem pads, all others never seem to stay stuck. So I had used the double sided 3M tape used for automotive moulding, works great, stays stuck and no issues peeling away if you decide to do so.
ysoslo, Roy and Miqster like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 PM

Sounds good

Great idea.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page