Those with Ape Hangers, is this right? Help needed! *VIDEO* - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Those with Ape Hangers, is this right? Help needed! *VIDEO*

Hi guys,

I appear to have some play in the handlebars, they move a little (not in the clamp) it's the clamp unit itself that appears to move, as per the video I uploaded to YouTube.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Matt,

That should not happen, I think you have the wrong dampers fitted. Stiffer dampers are fitted with the high bar kit.

Hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Roy
unparalleledltwin likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Matt,

That should not happen, I think you have the wrong dampers fitted. Stiffer dampers are fitted with the high bar kit.

Hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Roy
Hi Roy,

Thanks for your help, I think I'll take the bike into my local dealer tomorrow. They fitted the bars, so should have some answers.

What do the dampers look like?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Matt,

Here is a pic of the damper set, not sure what the part number is.

I believe there are two damper sets; the standard that comes with stock bars and a stiffer set that comes with the high bars. This latter set is what should be fitted with yours.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 12.44.42 PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	28055  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM

The kit should have included a different set of bushings (which look identical to the stock ones) but are there to give the bike support due to the extra leverage. Make sure they were swapped in. Also , check the nuts under the triple tree to be certain they were tightened correctly.

Well , Roy beat me to it.........

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Ditto what they said, there are bushings made out of harder plastic for the increased leverage. Riding it like you have it will not hurt anything but it will take a ride or 2 to get used to it, then you won't notice!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Matt,

Here is a pic of the damper set, not sure what the part number is.

I believe there are two damper sets; the standard that comes with stock bars and a stiffer set that comes with the high bars. This latter set is what should be fitted with yours.

Cheerio,

Roy
Thanks Roy, I'll show this pic to my dealer today when I go in. Your help means a lot buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYP View Post
Ditto what they said, there are bushings made out of harder plastic for the increased leverage. Riding it like you have it will not hurt anything but it will take a ride or 2 to get used to it, then you won't notice!
Peace of mind with this post Bobby, thank you! I was concerned it may be something misaligned or potentially damaged. Yeah I've just started noticing it when braking harder, your bars move forward, where you expect there to be no movement or play in the bars at all, feels odd! I'll get it sorted though.

Cheers guys

Matt
Roy likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:07 PM

I did not install my bars, but will say that I went outside, sat on the bike and gave it a few good tugs. Mine are solid as a rock and do not move at all. While it may not pose any danger, who knows what damage could be done over time, so I'd check with the dealership regarding the bushings others have already mentioned.

On the same lines...the handlebar sits into pins, that locks them into one position. I'd like to rotate my apes an inch or so towards me. The pins prevent this. I'm giving thought to either grinding down the pins all-together, or adding another set of holes for the pins to go into. In reality, I think the pins are a bit of "lawyerly over-engineering" and are not necessary. My Harley has apes with no pins, and I've never had an issue. I checked with a (speed) shop who agrees, so either way I go, I feel pretty good with the choice.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrb View Post
I did not install my bars, but will say that I went outside, sat on the bike and gave it a few good tugs. Mine are solid as a rock and do not move at all. While it may not pose any danger, who knows what damage could be done over time, so I'd check with the dealership regarding the bushings others have already mentioned.

On the same lines...the handlebar sits into pins, that locks them into one position. I'd like to rotate my apes an inch or so towards me. The pins prevent this. I'm giving thought to either grinding down the pins all-together, or adding another set of holes for the pins to go into. In reality, I think the pins are a bit of "lawyerly over-engineering" and are not necessary. My Harley has apes with no pins, and I've never had an issue. I checked with a (speed) shop who agrees, so either way I go, I feel pretty good with the choice.
They are "over engineered''. I'll be putting my stock risers back on shortly and adjust accordingly. Roy already has (and He's still alive.......).
Roy likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

*UPDATE*

I've been to my dealership, got the Bobber booked in to have the bushings replaced with the high bar ones. Turns out the stock ones were left in when swapping over from the drag bars. So on that note, thanks Roy and everyone else for pointing it out!

I now know where to come before I take any actions.. This sweet forum

Cheers,

Matt
ysoslo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page