Sounds like a Stealership - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a Stealership

I recently financed a BB and I can’t be any happier, beats my Harley 1200 by far which a traded in for it!! I was told by the dealer where I purchased the bike that it would cost me $450 for the 500 mile service. I think that a wee to much, especially being told by others that they only really change the oil/filter. I would like to believe they do more, but $450?! I think spending 14k on the bike should be enough.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi JJ,

Congrats on your new ride, we love to see pics here so post when able.

I think my first service was around $250 ish.

Well done.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Garage
For oil, filter and crush washer then check the torque on the fasteners - I'd look for another dealer regardless of the cost and tell em to stick any future dealings with you up thier collective backsides - Name and Shame time!
ysoslo and Rob Axel like this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 PM

Garage
I agree with Ethariel. Most of us paid around $250 or less for the first service. They're definitely hoping to rip you off, unless it's a Harley dealership and their mechanic doesn't have any metric tools, so has to go out and buy a whole toolbox full of tools just to change your oil...lol

Each one matters.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:48 PM

Garage
In the UK it's just the cost of the oil and filter, never been charged labour by any manufacturer over here, tho the horror stories bout the US make me cringe, how can a dealer charge for it after you after you just forked out over 10k on a bike is beyond me.

Sure for servicing at the 10k/1 year mark but after your 1-2 week run in i'll never understand it.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:57 PM

In the US itís a pure profit center for dealerships. They will charge you as much as they think they can get. My selling dealer is 10 miles away and charges $350. Thereís another Triumph dealer 29 miles from me that charges $235. Guess where I get my service done? My loyalty doesnít extend into getting gouged.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I knew that price sounded way over priced, and it happens to be a triumph dealer. Looks like I’ll be going to my local trusted dealer, where I can bring my own filter and oil, and it’ll cost me $50 for the whole **** thing. I was just worried that there are other things that need to be checked/adjusted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibberJabber View Post
Thanks for the responses! I knew that price sounded way over priced, and it happens to be a triumph dealer. Looks like Iíll be going to my local trusted dealer, where I can bring my own filter and oil, and itíll cost me $50 for the whole **** thing. I was just worried that there are other things that need to be checked/adjusted.
There are things that need to be checked/adjusted during the first service. In other words, I look at the first service as more than just an oil change. However, it doesn't mean that I am willing to be over charged. Find a dealership that will treat you fairly and give them your business.

I have been a customer at my BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership for over 30 years. They have always treated me fairly. I have gotten discounts on parts, service, accessories, and gear. I think it helps to build a relationship.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM

I did the first service myself saved me probably $200 in labor , took the bike to the dealer to have the service wrench turned off , I couldn't believe they were going to charge me $60 + tax It took the tech literally 5 minuets to turn It off , I complained to the dealership owner saying how much I have spent over the last few years at your dealership and that I would take my business else where , instead of paying $60 they gave me a $100 gift card .

Moral of the story don't put up with dealership BS .
ysoslo and gfspencer like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Good Dealer Service

Had my 1st service yesterday at Woods at Abergele (in the UK). Total cost £59, ($90) including tax and disposal of old oil. They washed the bike, which was filthy, and remapped the ecu, making it much smoother, eliminating the brutal jerking off a closed throttle. Did it all while I waited, sat on some Ducatis, and drank 2 pints of free coffee! I was quivering like a crapping dog on the way home, mind you!
ysoslo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page