Thinking of Exchanging My T100 for a Bobber Black, any advice & opinions? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of Exchanging My T100 for a Bobber Black, any advice & opinions?

Hi all,

New to the forum here, so hey

I'm thinking of part exchanging my T100 at my local dealer, for a Bobber Black, I have a test ride coming up in a few days, so some questions will soon be answered.

However, I have a few things I wish to ask you guys:

1) How does it handle with the ape hangers compared to the drag bars?
2) What is the most anyone has got out of a full tank of fuel?
3) How comfy are your seats, and which ones have you got?
4) What additional items would you recommend fitting, and why?

Look forward to hearing from you

Matt
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not expert but here is some thoughts from my perspective.

Re handling with high bars, I have found no issues at all but then again I have had high bars on many bikes, so I may not be the best person to advise.

The most I got on my standard tank was around 120 ish before the low fuel light came on, I pushed it and got 152 but was pretty low. My average before the low fuel light came on was from 105 - 115. However I just fitted a Speedmaster tank and on m first tank got 132 before the low light came on, working on my second tank of gas and hoping for better.

I have run the Statement seat on mine since new and it's okay but more looks that comfort. I have a custom seat inbound so my Statement seat will be up for sale shortly.

Extras? Totally up to you mate depending on preference. But for me, I love the new Speedmaster tank and one of my favorite mods are the footboards.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Recent pic of my bike for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 11.53.28 AM.png
Views:	105
Size:	536.1 KB
ID:	27749  
unparalleledltwin likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not expert but here is some thoughts from my perspective.

Re handling with high bars, I have found no issues at all but then again I have had high bars on many bikes, so I may not be the best person to advise.

The most I got on my standard tank was around 120 ish before the low fuel light came on, I pushed it and got 152 but was pretty low. My average before the low fuel light came on was from 105 - 115. However I just fitted a Speedmaster tank and on m first tank got 132 before the low light came on, working on my second tank of gas and hoping for better.

I have run the Statement seat on mine since new and it's okay but more looks that comfort. I have a custom seat inbound so my Statement seat will be up for sale shortly.

Extras? Totally up to you mate depending on preference. But for me, I love the new Speedmaster tank and one of my favorite mods are the footboards.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Recent pic of my bike for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy
Thanks for the reply Roy.

The Bobber Black I'm test riding, has the drag bars fitted, but when sitting on a showroom Bobber with the ape bars, it had the reach and arm comfort I'm looking for. I feel my back will begin to arch after riding, with the drag bars, something the ape bars can eliminate I hear.

Statement seat does look cool, as does the quilted one, I may stick with stock and get it re-upholstered down the line...

Now that's a sweet modification bud, how difficult was it to fit the Speedmaster tank? Did it require any cutting/welding? This is something I can see myself doing down the line, when the fuel indicator light starts to bug me.

I;ll see how I get on with the test ride, footboards could be an option, but I do like the positioning of the footpegs already, just feels like my T100 to be honest!

Thanks again dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Roy

Garage
You're most welcome, happy to help.

One point in regards the high bars; if you have these done at the dealer they will insist on fitted 'pinned' risers, this will 'fix' the bars in position. I hated that lack of flexibility so had to re-fit the standard risers myself so I had some adjustment.

The bars are very good but not perfect for me, so my friend is currently making some custom adjustments to a second set I have (my standard high bars along with risers will be for sale soon).

My dealer fitted the new Speedmaster tank and it was no problem at all, a straight swap. I started a thread on it which I will link below.

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...nk-fitted.html

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM

Garage
I test rode the standard bars first and loved it...until I took the high bar bike for a ride next. I went with the high bars, but there are plenty of other options out there (clip-ons, Speedmaster bars, Bike Bros bars etc).

150 miles is really stretching it with the Bobber. Most of us are filling up around 120-135 miles. I was on the interstate last night going 80mph and according to the gauge I had 1 mile left until empty at 99 miles on the tank. Granted, I only put 2 gallons in the 2.4 gallon tank so there was a lot more than 1 mile left in the tank.

I've ridden with both the factory seat and the brown quilted seat, and they're both fine for a tank of gas at a time. Sound like a Corbin is the way to go if you're looking for all-day comfort with minimal breaks.

As far as any other must-have accessories or additions, I'd say a BoosterPlug is in that category to help with low speed smoothness. Not all, but the majority are swapping the exhaust and many are adding an x-pipe to delete the cat.
Mar-Vel and unparalleledltwin like this.

Each one matters.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:10 PM

I don't ride more than 100 miles before I fill up. I do that because (1) I'm worried about the size of the tank and (2) my butt can't take more than 100 miles with any seat.

I've never tried the the high bars. I don't think I would be comfortable with them . . . but that's just me.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:18 PM

I love the tall bars. But I'm tall. Stock seat sucks. Period. I've made 110-115 miles , but typically am hitting the service station at 95 or so miles.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 AM

Garage
I'm on the original Bobber. My mods are aesthetic like the short back mudguard (fender), kuryakyn multi-function bullet style front and rear LED lights (didn't like the OEM large stock lights) and side mount license plate mount. I started with the statement seat which IMO looks fantastic but, after a season, I was tired of getting bumped around on uneven surfaces because the seat has no real support. So, I recovered the OEM stock seat with a vintage leather tuck and roll design and better foam inserts and am really happy with it. Did a 200 mi. ride last week with no after effects. As far as mileage, 120 or so is my cut-off point, knowing that it will go a bit more but, I'm more comfortable with a full tank than frantically looking for gas stations.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies, I really appreciate the feedback. I can see myself changing the seat down the line, and debating the Speedmaster tank, depending on how I get on with refueling etc.

An ex demo Bobber Black has just come up for sale at a dealer not far from me, only done 800 miles. £2000 cheaper than new and my local dealer said they'd fit the X-Pipe from my T100, free of charge. Perfect time to grab a bargain! The temptation grows stronger...

I think the only thing I will miss from the T100 is the practicality, it's more of a "sensible" bike, if it's your only bike, which the Bobber will be. Who wants to be sensible though, hey?

I've got the Bobber Black for a good hour or so on Thursday, so I'll see how she goes.

Thanks again people!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Roy

Garage
Sounds like a plan old chap.

Let us know how you get on?

If you wanted sensible you would be thinking of a mini-van..

Go with what you love, life is way to short...

Cheerio,

Roy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page