Make Bobber as fast as the Thruxton? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Make Bobber as fast as the Thruxton?

Hello, being that there similar if not the same engines with the bobber having lower compression, is there anyway to see the same numbers as the Thruxton horsepower and torque wise? Has anyone done a dyno run after doing air filter, exhaust and a tune?
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

TEC will be manufacturing camshafts for our 1200cc bikes soon. Link is for reference only.
Those, paired with some new VEREX headers, pipes and air filters should see you liberate quite a few BHP with a proper dyno and tune.
You could also bolt on a supercharger (at 5000GBP+)
@trirocket3 is the man to talk to. Seriously knowlegable in these matters...
Lucros likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucros View Post
Hello, being that there similar if not the same engines with the bobber having lower compression, is there anyway to see the same numbers as the Thruxton horsepower and torque wise? Has anyone done a dyno run after doing air filter, exhaust and a tune?
My dealer told me they've seen around 100hp with straight pipes, x-pipes, intakes and a tune. Haven't seen it first hand, so take that as you may.
Lucros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Air filter, exhaust and tuning don't tend to do too much. They can change the shape of the torque and power curves, so you might see a bigger peak at the expense of flatness say. I'm always suspicious of '10% more power' claims without seeing the whole dyno curve.

I think cams and porting will be more effective in genuinely increasing the area under the torque/power curves, rather than just reshaping the curves. In other words, they do actually deliver more, not just increased peakiness.

Ultimately, you could just drop a Thruxton engine in...that would be fun. You could then add all the tweaks the Thruxton customer base has come up with. Double-dog-dare you!

- Pasta
ysoslo and Lucros like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggs View Post
My dealer told me they've seen around 100hp with straight pipes, x-pipes, intakes and a tune. Haven't seen it first hand, so take that as you may.
Rubbish !
chezqui and Big Bear like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM

Stock Bobber is around 70rwhp
Redline is headwork + homemade X pipe, PCV, no new engine internals. = 93hp 30% increase
Blue line is same, but added Verex headers & mildly reprofiled cam. = 107hp 50% increase
My Bobber now pulls harder than my Thruxton R
eisen77, Ethariel, chezqui and 6 others like this.

Last edited by trirocket3; 07-25-2018 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
Redline is headwork + homemade X pipe, PCV, no new engine internals. = 93hp 30% increase
Blue line is same, but added Verex headers & mildly reprofiled cam. = 107hp 50% increase
Hey buddy great numbers... and having been on a ride out with you I can pay witness to what this rocket shifts like when given some wellie!

Did you happen to get a run from when the bike was bone stock? Iíd be really keen to see how it compares to the two states of tune above! Also... you donít happen to have a graph or if not, remember @ what rpm peak power/torque was achieved?

Cheers,

Mike.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected...
Lucros likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Hey buddy great numbers... and having been on a ride out with you I can pay witness to what this rocket shifts like when given some wellie!
Did you happen to get a run from when the bike was bone stock? Iíd be really keen to see how it compares to the two states of tune above! Also... you donít happen to have a graph or if not, remember @ what rpm peak power/torque was achieved? Cheers, Mike.
No chart but Shaun at Big CC told me it was 93ftlb @ 5250rpm.
Lucros likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
Hi Trirocket, couple of questions:
What is headwork - or what was involved?
What is PCV? power commander or something else?

Thanks
MX429 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page