Chains - length and thickness? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Chains - length and thickness?

Hi all,

I’m about to buy a new security chain for the BB... I’m looking at buying the Almax chain but can’t decide what length and mm is most suitable.

The chain will be mostly used for when the bike is in my garage. The garage is alarmed and has cctv. Whilst it would be nice to have a chain that is portable, as we all know carrying anything on the Bobbers isn’t all that easy so it’s not a necessity.

The options are...

16mm or 19mm thick
1.5 metre or 2 metre

Both are impossible to bolt cut by hand so the 19mm just buys a little extra angle grinder resistance time. Having said that if I ever need a portable chain in the future the 16mm would be more suitable.

The chain will go through the frame of the bike and then secured to a ground anchor.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by Mike J Commo; 03-21-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM

I've got a couple of Almax chains, both 16mm. Very sturdy and I would say that is probably good enough. I'd go for the longer chain though, to give a bit of leway.

You could always phone them to ask. I've spoken to them a couple of times and the chap was very helpful. Mind you, he does like a chat so be prepared to be on there a long time
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXTony View Post
I've got a couple of Almax chains, both 16mm. Very sturdy and I would say that is probably good enough. I'd go for the longer chain though, to give a bit of leway.

You could always phone them to ask. I've spoken to them a couple of times and the chap was very helpful. Mind you, he does like a chat so be prepared to be on there a long time
Iíve just had a chat with a guy there... I think his name was Tony? He sure did love a good chat. Nice guy though and very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Almax (19mm) in both lengths.
I would go for the thicker and longer of the two.
I say that becasue the 1.5m may not be long enough to loop through your frame and back into the anchor.
Though it is recommended that no part of the chain be resting on the floor - so thieves have a hard time with little to no support/leverage.
Are they still being sold with the squire locks?
The lock is as important as the chain itself.

For travelling, i cannot fathom carrying a chain around for the Bobber. I would use an Abus disc lock.
I use this one (but i think they stopped production and released a newer model): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-8000-D.../dp/B0014E3HT2

Last edited by eisen77; 03-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I have the Almax (19mm) in both lengths.
I would go for the thicker and longer of the two.
I say that becasue the 1.5m may not be long enough to loop through your frame and back into the anchor.
Though it is recommended that no part of the chain be resting on the floor - so thieves have a hard time with little to no support/leverage.
Are they still being sold with the squire locks?
The lock is as important as the chain itself.

For travelling, i cannot fathom carrying a chain around for the Bobber. I would use an Abus disc lock.
I use this one (but i think they stopped production and released a newer model): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-8000-D.../dp/B0014E3HT2
I was all set to buy the 19mm but then the guy at Almax said it was a little bit of an overkill given that the bikes kept a garage that is alarmed and has cctv. He said the 19mm will add moments to the time it takes for an angle grinder to get through it. He did however also suggest that the 2 metre chain was the better option.

And yes they are still selling the chainnwith the squire padlock. I’ve read really good things about it too

Which ground anchor do you recommend?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
I was all set to buy the 19mm but then the guy at Almax said it was a little bit of an overkill given that the bikes kept a garage that is alarmed and has cctv. He said the 19mm will add moments to the time it takes for an angle grinder to get through it. He did however also suggest that the 2 metre chain was the better option.

And yes they are still selling the chainnwith the squire padlock. I’ve read really good things about it too

Which ground anchor do you recommend?
I would still go for the 19mm.
Those extra moments may be all you need to deter the would-be thief.

I can’t remember which ground anchor I used, but I’m sure Almax themselves or some other helpful members will chime in with some recommendations...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Anyway, the Almax chains are THE best on the market (Iíve had mine over 10 years) and are a wise investment for keeping your bike safe.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Anyway, the Almax chains are THE best on the market (Iíve had mine over 10 years) and are a wise investment for keeping your bike safe.
Thanks for the advice and I think youíre right, for the little extra cost... 19mm it is!
eisen77 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM

Garage
In the early 80ís I had a custom chopper speed twin. It didnít have an ignition key, you just kicked it into life on off you went.

I used to wear a chain and padlock as a second belt around my waist wherever I went and then I would padlock the chain through the rear wheel and over the seat whenever I parked up.

Came out of the Blue Star cafe on the A1 near Blyth to find a group of admirers around the triumph. As I wound the kickstart up I was praying she would fire first time and not embarrass me and sure enough, roared into life first kick!

Dropped it into first and promptly stalled it. Fired her up again, stalled again. Bright red and wishing the crowd of gatherers would do one when a girl stepped forward and pointed at the chain still locked through the back wheel. Could have cried.....
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:02 AM

Garage
Are Almax better than the Pewag square chains? https://www.westechrigging.com/chain...ity-chain.html These babies are so hard that the metal is harder than the metal in bolt cutters. I haven't gotten a chain yet, but it's on my radar, and I'm all about spending a little extra to have the solution that provides the best protection/bang for the buck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page