Security options? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Security options?

Ive been told that there just isnt anyway to fit an alarm or even a tracker to the Bobbers... can anyone confirm?

That element aside Id like to get an alarmed disc lock for when Im out and about and also a heavy duty chain/padlock and ground anchor for the garage.

What do you guys recommend?

Cheers,

Mike.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM

I'll be honest, Mike: Other than the neck lock (that is super easy with this bike), which I always lock, I don't fool with it anymore. While I'm attached to (i.e., favor/enjoy it greatly) the bike, I didn't marry it. And if it gets stolen, I've got insurance and there's another one where that one came from, albeit a hassle.

Of course, you couldn't have convinced me earlier in my life when the bike was a psychological part of me. This is what age does do to you: it kind of makes all the toys temporary as you blow though them over the years.
getor, chezqui, MikeB and 3 others like this.

Most men that do thrive in the world do forget to take pleasure during the time they're getting their estate, but reserve that til they have got one, and then it is too late to enjoy it. Samuel Pepys
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
I'll be honest, Mike: Other than the neck lock (that is super easy with this bike), which I always lock, I don't fool with it anymore. While I'm attached to (i.e., favor/enjoy it greatly) the bike, I didn't marry it. And if it gets stolen, I've got insurance and there's another one where that one came from, albeit a hassle.

Of course, you couldn't have convinced me earlier in my life when the bike was a psychological part of me. This is what age does do to you: it kind of makes all the toys temporary as you blow though them over the years.
Whilst I appreciate your take I’m afraid with that attitude in the U.K. I’d be needing a replacement bike every month. Bike crime here is crazy and if it isn’t secure it’s gone... no doubt!

The only sensible option is to take some precautions and hope that a would be thief decides that my bike is too much hassle and that a bike owner who see’s it as you do... has parked right around the corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I think that the disk lock and ground anchor would work well as a combo to deter people. Ultimately if they truly want to nab it, nothing will stop them.

So nothing like LowJack in the U.K.?
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:59 PM

Garage
I was totally just watching this video earlier today in search of ideas. Some great options here, I think.

muensterDeath, getor and haydnd like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 AM

maybe it is possible to adapt the alarm triumph
http://www.triumphinstructions.com/P...9808119-EN.pdf

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Hri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Tnr,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
So nothing like LowJack in the U.K.?
"LoJack is no longer actively selling the LoJack System for Motorcycles. We still maintain the infrastructure to enable LoJack System activation and recovery of motorcycles equipped with the LoJack System after they are reported stolen to law enforcement."

A famous bloke from the UK had his mountain bike stolen. The police located it in Rumania which must tell us something.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 AM

After having trouble with the alarm on my speed triple, I wouldn't have one again. It only makes a few quids worth of difference to the insurance price anyway.

Personally, I don't think it's much of a deterent anyway. A friend of mine tells of his manager leaving the office for lunch, only to see 2 guys lifing his wailing R1 into the back of a Transit van. When he shouted at them they chucked it on the floor and drove off.

I go for more physical security, a good chain and lock through a ground anchor for home but I don't tend to have anything when I'm out and about though, a smaller, more portable chain is a posibility, but I'm not convinced they offer enough protection. There was a cropped chain on the floor by the bike bay I parked in the other day so I guess the oiks had been out. I don't tend to use disc locks after a couple of embarassing incidents.

I've often thought about a tracker, but I'm undecided if I would want it back after some scrote has been at it. I didn't realise that they won't fit on a Bobber though.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Whilst I appreciate your take Im afraid with that attitude in the U.K. Id be needing a replacement bike every month. Bike crime here is crazy and if it isnt secure its gone... no doubt!

The only sensible option is to take some precautions and hope that a would be thief decides that my bike is too much hassle and that a bike owner who sees it as you do... has parked right around the corner
Yes, that condition changes things (and sorry to read). Employing multiple devises as a deterrent would be called for (e.g., alarm, coated/wrapped chain, disc lock)--all giving the appearance of being too much of a hassle for the thieves, so that they move on.

I carried a hefty chain years ago and I can't imagine doing it on a Bobber without bags. Toting it in a backpack, could be done, but would seriously affect my enjoyment of riding the thing.

Best to you.
Mike J Commo likes this.

Most men that do thrive in the world do forget to take pleasure during the time they're getting their estate, but reserve that til they have got one, and then it is too late to enjoy it. Samuel Pepys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFEN View Post
maybe it is possible to adapt the alarm triumph
http://www.triumphinstructions.com/P...9808119-EN.pdf
I think it just boils down to a lack of space and there being no where to hide the unit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page