Helmets - Page 6 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Roy

Garage
I love my Davida Classic,

Hands down it's the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. Where I live I'm not required to wear any helmet but this classic little beauty is so enjoyable to wear I never leave home without it.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 5.17.45 PM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	32573  
eisen77 likes this.
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 PM
GPz

This is all very interesting. Let me share my helmet story also.

As a kid I typically rode both dirt and street with an open face helmet. I did this primarily because the crazy things I frequently did on a motorcycle warranted attention, especially from girls (at least in my mind) and I wanted them to know exactly who was doing them. Then one day I decided I wanted to be a roadracer so I bought a full face helmet, since that's what the rules required. Being 16 years old, and the smartest human alive (excuse the redundancy), I felt completely bullet proof in my awesome gladiator lid. So I jumped on my 1973 Suzuki GT550 and flew down the big hill leading to the nastiest S-Curves around, determined to get my knee on the ground just like King Kenny Roberts. Unfortunately I came up short on talent, ground clearance and traction and soon found my self tumbling over and over and into the grassy ditch between the road and the stone fence that bordered those epic S-Curves. Dreadfully, the ditch lead to a big drainage culvert surrounded by the same large stones used to construct the fence. My thighs and hips slammed into the end of the culvert and my flip-limp torso whipped over the top and smacked my forehead, faceshield and chin bar directly into the big stones. If I still had that helmet I would post a picture of it and you would instantly appreciate why I've never ridden with anything but a full-face helmet since that dreadful day. But I had to get rid of it because looking at its remains was simply too disturbing, especially for my mother.

Another fun fact about that awful day was this: Police officers spent at least five minutes in the weeds on the other side of that stone fence looking for my two shoes which had apparently blown off my feet due to centrifugal force. Despite their efforts, my beloved white & red Leather Cortez Nikes were never seen again. May they, and my fugly 2-stroke steed, forever rest in peace.

-GPz/Gary
ysoslo likes this.

Last edited by GPz; 04-23-2019 at 09:20 PM.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post

As a kid I typically rode both dirt and street with an open face helmet. I did this primarily because the crazy things I frequently did on a motorcycle warranted attention, especially from girls (at least in my mind) and I wanted them to know exactly who was doing them. Then one day I decided I wanted to be a roadracer so I bought a full face helmet, since that's what the rules required. Being 16 years old, and the smartest human alive (excuse the redundancy), I felt completely bullet proof in my awesome gladiator lid. So I jumped on my 1973 Suzuki GT550 and flew down the big hill leading to the nastiest S-Curves around, determined to get my knee on the ground just like King Kenny Roberts. Unfortunately I came up short on talent, ground clearance and traction and soon found my self tumbling over and over and into the grassy ditch between the road and the stone fence that bordered those epic S-Curves. Dreadfully, the ditch lead to a big drainage culvert surrounded by the same large stones used to construct the fence. My thighs and hips slammed into the end of the culvert and my flip-limp torso whipped over the top and smacked my forehead, faceshield and chin bar directly into the big stones. If I still had that helmet I would post a picture of it and you would instantly appreciate why I've never ridden with anything but a full-face helmet since that dreadful day. But I had to get rid of it because looking at its remains was simply too disturbing, especially for my mother.

Another fun fact about that awful day was this: Police officers spent at least five minutes in the weeds on the other side of that stone fence looking for my two shoes which had apparently blown off my feet due to centrifugal force. Despite their efforts, my beloved white & red Leather Cortez Nikes were never seen again. May they, and my fugly 2-stroke steed, forever rest in peace.

-GPz/Gary
Glad to hear it was a good outcome. I can't imagine, and hopefully never experience such a thing, although if I do, then my full-face helmet God-willing will protect me in the same way.

Each one matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 PM

bell

I use a zox half helmet most of the time; however I do have a bell rogue. I have yet to like the rogue. I get an awful lot of wind noise from it. I wear a bandana with my zox, but cannot see that making much difference for noise. I will experiment with the bell some more, but am not that hopeful of the same comfort of my zox. I also have glasses and always wear over the glasses goggles.
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:20 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=DanFromVegas;173787]Yeah. No cop will know the difference but to be a legal motorcycle helmet in the US it has to be DOT approved. (QUOTE]

Not sure about that. Some just are schooled to look for the DOT sticker which I think is on all U.S. approved helmets. Happened to a group of us years ago. Cop slowly passed each rider and pulled over the only one without a DOT approved lid. Personally, even in the U.S. I’d rather have a helmet that is DOT (if only for the “legality” of it as my understanding, it’s the lowest of the ratings) and ECE or Snell approved. (more rigorous European ratings). But, that’s just my opinion of course, it’s your head
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post

-GPz/Gary
Man, that is some horror story. And reinforces my belief in full face helmets only.

On the other hand though, it was a typical snapshot of motorcycling in 80's UK. The daft things we did back then...I remember probably the stupidest thing me and my mates used to do was ride as long as we dared at night with our headlights turned off!! (the fact we chose to do it when there was clear skies with a full moon lessened the danger however).
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 AM

It's time for me to get a new lid. I think I am going for a white Arai Signet X. I tried wearing a 3/4 Bell helmet and got tired of bugs hitting me in the face.

I have a black Arai Signet X but it doesn't stand out. (A car almost pulled out in front of me Saturday.) I hope that I will be more visible with a white helmet on my head.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post

On the other hand though, it was a typical snapshot of motorcycling in 80's UK. The daft things we did back then...I remember probably the stupidest thing me and my mates used to do was ride as long as we dared at night with our headlights turned off!! (the fact we chose to do it when there was clear skies with a full moon lessened the danger however).
You should have been riding in the 70's when the evil Jap bikes came to the UK... One guy I knew with a Kwak 750 triple spent most of his riding time on one wheel.... because he could...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:28 PM

[quote=jerrman;175085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromVegas View Post
Yeah. No cop will know the difference but to be a legal motorcycle helmet in the US it has to be DOT approved. (QUOTE]

Not sure about that. Some just are schooled to look for the DOT sticker which I think is on all U.S. approved helmets. Happened to a group of us years ago. Cop slowly passed each rider and pulled over the only one without a DOT approved lid. Personally, even in the U.S. Iíd rather have a helmet that is DOT (if only for the ďlegalityĒ of it as my understanding, itís the lowest of the ratings) and ECE or Snell approved. (more rigorous European ratings). But, thatís just my opinion of course, itís your head

The DOT sticker isnít required to be on the helmet after you buy it. It only informs the consumer that itís US legal. Cops never know the law, they just make stuff up. The only way they can tell if a helmet is legal is to destroy it in testing. The reason they like DOT is because most cops can spell it. Big words like Snell are just too much for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Enoch likes this.
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM

recently i've been interested in bell's eliminator helmet. looks pretty cool. wondering if anyone has it.

the rivets are pretty cool - kind of like how the ruby castel helmets have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	33191  
DanFromVegas likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page