New helmet - Triumph Bobber Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New helmet

I've gotten money from the insurance company to replace my damaged Joe Rocket Carbon Speedmaster helmet, and I'm trying to find great options in the $300-450 range. Does anyone have any experience with the HJC RPHA 70 ST? The reviews seem to be pretty good. My main focus is safety and quiet. Any other ideas you can recommend? I have a round head, so I need to stick with either a round or intermediate oval helmet.

Each one matters.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The other helmet I'm considering is the Scorpion EXO-ST1400, so if you have experience with this one I'd love to hear about it as well. Thanks

Each one matters.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:06 PM

You can get a Bell Bullitt Carbon Helmet between $500 and $600 depending on where you buy it. It looks retro and is for a rounder head.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
In my experience with a Bell Bullitt, unless they’ve changed, they are not quiet. My wasn’t a carbon but, after a couple of seasons I had to give it up despite loving the look and fit. Went to a Shoei RF 1200. Not a retro style but, the quality is great and it’s quiet. Not sure about the head shape though.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
In my experience with a Bell Bullitt, unless they’ve changed, they are not quiet. My wasn’t a carbon but, after a couple of seasons I had to give it up despite loving the look and fit. Went to a Shoei RF 1200. Not a retro style but, the quality is great and it’s quiet. Not sure about the head shape though.
Thanks, jerrman. The RF 1200 solid colors are only $35 above my desired price range, so definitely a possibility. Do you love the RF1200? Any things you don't like about it?

Each one matters.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:20 PM

I love my rf 1200. The shape is great, quieter than my agv, and the best part of all, while pricey, is the transitions lens visor. I can leave for work while it’s light out, and ride home in the dark, without needing 2 visors.

The pin lock is a bit worthless unfortunately, so I never use it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
No, it is not quiet. It is not terribly loud but it is not quiet.

My helmet of choice is a Arai Signet X. It is relatively quiet and fits my long oval head.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 PM

My next helmet will be a Klim Krios Pro.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
Thanks, jerrman. The RF 1200 solid colors are only $35 above my desired price range, so definitely a possibility. Do you love the RF1200? Any things you don't like about it?
During various sale times, I think you’ll find it in your budget. Maybe Black Friday. I was convinced after reading reviews on Revzilla. I think it’s one of the best all around lids. Gives a real sense of quality construction. At highway speed, I got to the point where I could barely hear my Sena directions with the Bullitt, a major issue for me on long trips as my sense of direction is pretty low on the totem pole. With the Shoei, no issues at all. Comfortable on all day riding. It packed out marginally to where it’s snug but not tight. I also like the detents in the face shield. Easy to crack open one notch, for a little air or various other positions, to all the way up. Stays where you put it. I often find cracking it open one notch works better than just the pinlock on fogging. The plastic latch to raise/lower the shield works ok although not as well as that leather attachment on the Bell which was super easy and has a magnetic catch. Field of view on the Shoei is more narrow than the Bell. Took me awhile to get used to it. A lot of full face helmets are like that, though. The Bullitt has a really wide field of view as does the AGV x3000 and I think to a lesser extent, the Builtwell Gringo S (now available with an ECE/DOT rating). If safety is a big concern, definitely go with one that has an ECE rating, not a DOT only. Net, the Shoei is a great helmet. I wish it was a bit more retro inspired but, you can’t have everything. That’s why I have an AGV x3000 when I’m feeling retro and don’t need comms (the AGV doesn’t have cut-outs) for around town. All that said, the only real test is to fit it in person and see if it’s good for your head shape. I’ll be curious where you net out.
ysoslo likes this.

Last edited by jerrman; 11-01-2019 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for Black Friday sales to see what they have on sale. One other helmet I'm considering is the Bell Star MIPS DLX. It's currently $500 on Amazon (525 on Revzilla). Sounds like it's very safe, pretty quiet and comes with the transition face shield versus an eye-popping $200 for the transitions shield for the RF1200. It'll likely come down to the RF1200 or the Bell Star MIPS with the deciding factor being which one is the best deal in the next couple of months.

I'm still open to any other suggestions and recommendations though, so if anyone else wants to chime in, please do.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page