Pinlock Sucks?? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Pinlock Sucks??

I had read and heard Pinlock is the way to go for fogging on the inside of the visor. I have an HJC CL-17 and got the Pinlock specifically made for the CL-17's visor.
It SUCKS! The fogging is even worse than without. I double-checked it, installed properly, etc. The silicone bead doesn't seem to stay put. But even so, the fogging seems to happen on the outside of the Pinlock too. It wasn't even that cold this morning...

What are others' experiences?
What is the best method to prevent breath fogging?
Now that it's going to get colder, I really need to get this sorted out.

2018 Bobber Black with a matte tank. Vance & Hines silencers. Tec x-pipe. NRC tail tidy & 47mm fork ring signals.
X-Arc rear signals. Shorty levers. Bitchin' Stitchin' leather seat.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:25 AM

I've never had issues with a pinlock fogging once fitted. But it is vital that the beading is secure against the plexi of the visor.

Best thing to avoid fogging for me is to have a lid that has good airflow vents. I did also buy some anti fogging stuff years ago before I had a pinlock. Just sprayed and wiped on the inside of the visor. Worked well. But had to re-apply every ride and it only lasts 3-4 hours I found.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:34 AM

Garage
Interesting you brought this up. I just took a long six day trip and wondered on my Shoe if the thing really works at all. I didn't get much fogging but, if I do I just open the visor a notch and it all disappears. Shoei's system has a number of notches and the visor holds well on all of them even at speed. I've started to wonder if the anti-fogging would work just as well if I opened the visor a bit, for a few seconds, without the pinlock. One thing I'd like to know is whether anything can get between the pinlock and the visor. My visibility seems a bit less sharp these days, which maybe is due to the age of the Shoei visor. It's sort of very mildly hazy. Over time, does the extra layer of the pillock create this effect because you can't clean between the pinlock and the visor? On my newer AGV helmet, without a pinlock, the vision is sharp and clear as a bell. So, on the AGV, I don't know if it's because the visor is newer or that it doesn't have a pillock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:29 AM

I've used a Pinlock for many years, in several lids, and never had a problem with fogging. However, it does need adjusting correctly, and the adjustment reviewed periodically.
The two pins on the visor have a small cam that, when turned, apply pressure onto the anti fog insert, clamping its rubber seal to the visor. When installing the insert for the first time, it is crucial to get it absolutely square to the visor, so it is best to loosen off both pins. Once installed, turn each pin a fraction and push around the seal gently with your finger to check that it is fully touching the visor all of the way round; a gap, if there is one, will usually only be apparent at the bottom of the insert, right above your mouth, and that will cause horrendous fogging...I suspect that is your problem.
Hope this helps.
ysoslo and oatmeal769 like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 AM

Do you know what I stopped using a photochromic pinlock insert on my Shoei visor because it fogs up horrendously to the point you can't see a thing. I do however have other pinlock inserts on my other helmets and don't have a problem at all?? Strange but I think it's just a case of bad luck for the one!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsy View Post
Do you know what I stopped using a photochromic pinlock insert on my Shoei visor because it fogs up horrendously to the point you can't see a thing. I do however have other pinlock inserts on my other helmets and don't have a problem at all?? Strange but I think it's just a case of bad luck for the one!
I have heard that there are some copies/fakes out there.
oatmeal769 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Not very technical, but Iíve used dish drops in the past. Many years ago so I donít remember how long each application lasted, but I do remember it worked. Just a small drop applied and rubbed all over the inside of the visor until thereís no residue. Inexpensive and penguin friendly.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:00 AM

Pinlock has worked just fine on my Arai helmets.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM

Pinlock has worked flawlessly on my Arai as well!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:39 PM

Pinlock on my Shark one flip works well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page