Do you wear hi-viz gear? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Do you wear hi-viz gear?

Very interesting article about this subject.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

Chico
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 PM

I have a neon yellow Aria helmet that I use on my BMWF650GS. I ride in the bush during hunting season.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:59 AM

no,
Bobber-Bomb likes this.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

I wear hi Viz almost year round on my GSA.

Admittedly, Iím a lot more style conscious on my Bobber so choose not to wear hi viz gear. But thatís my decision & not cause of what others say or think.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Literally never
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 AM

When I rode adventure bikes I wore hi-vis gear. Now I don't.

I do wear a white helmet. I thought about an Arai neon yellow but went with white instead because a white helmet is supposed to be better at dusk.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:02 AM

My Bobber helmet is a all white Aria.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
I have 3 reflective strips on my Textile jacket, I don't think it's possible to actually find a motorcycle specific textile jacket without such strips somewhere on them these days.

I dont generally wear any kind of high vis on my 'its probably not going to rain wear', I have the equivalent of a 100W headlamp pointing down the road and if some a$$hat has issues seeing that then a 2 inch wide yellow strap over my shoulder and tucked away under my stomach is not going to make any difference!

Is it a fashion statement, i suppose it is, but lets extrapolate the question - how many car drivers will be willing to drive a fluorescent yellow car or a striking neon vivid green one to be 'more visible'?

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:37 PM

When I'm on my Tiger 800, I normally wear a neon yellow Nolan helmet and my Helite air bag vest, which is neon yellow and has some amazingly bright reflective tape on it. I wear the Helite
because in 2016 I got rear ended at a stop light and had my bike blown out from under me. Now granted, the hi-vis would have not helped in that particular situation, but I've learned that anything
I can do to increase visibility is a plus. I've even stuffed a pair of 10,000 Lumen LED bulbs in the Tiger, and believe me, people notice that. I even get high-beam flashed in broad daylight.

Now when I'm riding the Bobber or my Thruxton, I wear leather. I have both armored and non-armored Vanson jackets, and custom armored Vanson pants. I don't generally ride these bikes at night,
but I am much more aware when I do because without the Helite vest I feel somewhat more vulnerable. But the real reason for not wearing hi-vis is that I don't want to look like a dork riding a

Bobber or Thruxton in a bright yellow whale forskin suit.

By Grabthar's Hammer... what a savings.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:53 PM

It definitely makes a difference at a distance, and when looking with a fixed gaze. Like for highway construction workers as you're cruising toward the worksite. But, I think there's something to be said for the fact that we see motion, then contrast, then color. It the quick moments where we're making turns, etc - and that it's supposed to help, I'm not sure color will do much. People either see a moving object turning against them or in the next lane - or they don't. I think having headlight/running lights makes a difference. Not so sure about color.
Just my ideas and observations, though, I have nothing to back them up. I'd love to see some scientific studies and not just anecdotal evidence.

2018 Bobber Black with a matte tank. Vance & Hines silencers. Tec x-pipe. NRC tail tidy & 47mm fork ring signals.
X-Arc rear signals. Shorty levers. Bitchin' Stitchin' leather seat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page