Messenger bags... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Messenger bags...

Iíve been an avid Kriega backpack user for many, many years but have yet to EVER own a full size Messenger style bag. I do have a Trip Machine shoulder bag, but its too small for my iPad and other bits & pieces.

I was wondering if anyone here has some input or maybe some other recommendations re. mid to full size, comfortable Messenger bags.

I have read lots about many different types and my choices are (in descending order):

1) Kriega Messenger EDC

2) Merlin Cheadle (in black)

3) Vanquest Gen4

4) 5.11 tactical Mike

I donít really need a 100% watertight bag nor do
I want a ďlook at meĒ Louis Vuitton or boring Tumi, but instead Iím just looking to add something fun, usable & rugged to my collection.

I look forward to hearing your opinions & input.
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Roy

Garage
Not a messenger bag exactly but I love Maxpedition stuff, so always sling this one over my shoulder.

It's big enough to carry all my essentials I like to ride with and if I call into the store I can even squeeze in a bottle of wine and some cheese if needs be..

Not too heavy or bulky either, so hardly notice it when riding.

Lilli doesn't fit in it but she's so cute had to include her in the pic.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 1.15.26 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	36071  

Last edited by Roy; 07-25-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Roy, Iíll take a look.
Roy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Not a messenger bag exactly but I love Maxpedition stuff, so always sling this one over my shoulder.

It's big enough to carry all my essentials I like to ride with and if I call into the store I can even squeeze in a bottle of wine and some cheese if needs be..

Not too heavy or bulky either, so hardly notice it when riding.

Lilli doesn't fit in it but she's so cute had to include her in the pic.

Cheerio,

Roy
I have a man purse that is near identical to this, it has served me well and has been on many traveling trips.

And these, well mine does, has a Velcro loop to go around you belt to limit movement.

Last edited by muensterDeath; 07-25-2019 at 10:41 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
I've always been a fan of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger bag. I've had one that I've used for years, and I bought a back-up when they were on sale on Amazon for when the time comes that my initial bag no longer holds up. So far, the back-up is still in its plastic bag. Great bag, and I really like that it has a large clip that allows the bag to be worn firmly on your back and then, when unclicked, it drops nicely down at your side. I'm a simple "black bag" guy, but there are a variety of colors available as well, if you're into making more of a statement. Reasonably priced too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
eisen77 likes this.

Each one matters.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:11 AM

Garage
I donít have any additional suggestions for you eisen but out of the 4 youíre currently looking at and the requirement you have Iíd feel drawn to the 5.11 tactical mike.

It just looks a little more rugged, appears to be very fit for purpose, is competitively priced and I have tons of 5.11 gear so no the quality to be of a very high standard.

Which way are you leaning out of the 4?
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike & Ysoslo.
Iím leaning towards the Merlin and Vanquest at the moment.
I have been mighty impressed with the Merlin gear Iíve purchased so far and price/quality ratio is outstanding.
Vanquest are new to me, but seems to get raving reviews from hardcore travelers.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:46 AM

Garage
I like the look of a traditional hunting/cartridge bag like this barbour but find that bags slung over my shoulder tend to slide round and then I always feel like I'm adjusting them all the time - I reckon it's my sloping caveman shoulders rather than the bag's fault. For that reason, I tend to favour a back pack or ruck sack.

I've been very impressed with my XLmoto waterproof backpack that I picked up for £30 when it was on sale (it frequently is). The rubberised material has led up very well, it's spacious and the roll top is nice and secure. The straps and padding are perhaps a little thin but I've never found it uncomfortable as it's worn over my gear anyway. Although roomy enough for carrying a laptop, there are no inner compartments but I have a slimline padded case for mine so I would still be protected. This Shad bag which is waiting on a full description is new to the site but looks to be the same roll-top, rubberised materials. They also do a 'Vintage' canvas Messenger Bag which looks quite nice but I assume is not waterproof (more necessary in Blighty than other, drier climates).

Of your choices, I think the Kriega is the one I'd spring for - it's a bit boring to look at but their quality is hard to beat.
eisen77 likes this.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Thanks Mike & Ysoslo.
Iím leaning towards the Merlin and Vanquest at the moment.
I have been mighty impressed with the Merlin gear Iíve purchased so far and price/quality ratio is outstanding.
Vanquest are new to me, but seems to get raving reviews from hardcore travelers.
I think they're both great, but out of the two the Merlin gets my vote, as I think it fits the Bobber's retro aesthetic much better.
eisen77 likes this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Garage
Also like that Merlin for its vintage look which is in keeping with the Bobber aesthetic. Normally I wouldn’t favor a messenger bag over a backpack (my favorites are Burly, only water resistant though, and Velomacchi, pricey but it’s unique clasp is very functional) but, the Merlin has a waist strap which takes away some of my concern with shoulder slippage. Plus it just looks cool.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page