Retro Lids - Triumph Bobber Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Retro Lids

Looking to augment my Shoei 1200 with a retro lid. Have discounted Bell Bullitt because of excessive wind noise (donít ask how I know that ) and I assume the new Eliminator has similar issues. Am looking at AGV x3000, Biltwell Gringo S ECE, and the By City Roadster Carbon. Anyone have experiences theyíd like to share re: noise, venting, ability to use comms, if needed, etc. or any other lids that should be on the list? Many thanks.
JedKnight likes this.
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 AM

I haven't tried one, but I like the look of the Nolan N21
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

AGV is great.
My review here:

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...gv-merlin.html

Always best to try before committing, as the chin cut is quite high and therefore may not give the protection youíre looking for (after coming from a Shoei).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I haven't tried one, but I like the look of the Nolan N21
I agree but, these days I only ride with a full face helmet. Thereís a lot of retro choices with 3/4 open face but, fewer full face. And once you go full face, retro helmets, due to venting issues and overall shape, often have issues with noise. Theyíre just not as hi-tech as ďmodernĒ helmets but, they sure look cool. And they fit the Bobber oh-so-well. So, gotta have one. When I do, Iíll use the Shoei for my longer distance multi-day rides on my Indian Scout.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 AM

Garage
I really like the Shoei Ex Zero but not sure it goes with the Bobber look that well, love the retro look of it though

I've just pulled the trigger on a Shoei J O Gratte Ciel, as I've found the shape fits my melon head really well and the slightly rat look with pinstriping pushes my buttons.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gratte.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	34513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex Zero.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	34515  
Brigstocksbobber and Roy like this.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Like the look of that Shoei Ex Zero, too. Sort of a take on retro like what Blltwell Lane Spllitter and the Bell Moto 111 have done. I always ride with a full face shield so, havenít tried a goggle type opening but the Ex Zero also has a pull down shield that covers a good part of the face. Like the look. But, I assume that even with that smaller opening and more so with the googles if the shield is up, thereís a lot more wind noise since itís not a closed area. Not sure about rain, either.

Last edited by jerrman; 06-17-2019 at 05:28 AM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
I have the eliminator and love it. Kind of noisy at higher speeds but I have the Cardo headset and can hear whomever perfectly fine. Bell came out with a vent guard for the top eyelets. No covers for the front. Ventilation is great on the front though, so much air circulating. The wider opening makes it easy to put on and off. Perfect for mild to hot weather. Not sure about colder weather yet. TBD. I haven’t been able to fog up the visor. It’s a pretty cool helmet.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I have the eliminator and love it. Kind of noisy at higher speeds but I have the Cardo headset and can hear whomever perfectly fine. Bell came out with a vent guard for the top eyelets. No covers for the front. Ventilation is great on the front though, so much air circulating. The wider opening makes it easy to put on and off. Perfect for mild to hot weather. Not sure about colder weather yet. TBD. I havenít been able to fog up the visor. Itís a pretty cool helmet.
Thanks for the review.
Which color do you have ? Iíve been eyeing up the ďOutlawĒ design...
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
These guys do helmets:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ntent_cat/2920

Available in the Uk, I do sport the vintage pin up open face with drop down visor. My head looks ok even with its roundness, as it isnt a massive helmet. I done get bothered by the wind noise, as it is relatively mild and much less than my Shoei GT air. My eyes do water at higher speeds, but I can fit sunglasses on under the visor, not proper bike glasses, just regular safety glasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180803_12_35_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	34597  
Roy likes this.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM

My elder Bell became rather worn, and on random visit of local bike store I found this Laser Mambo Evo with brushed aluminium look and very comfortable stylish interior. Internal sun visor is essential for me as bespectacled and press-snap peak is in the box. Full satisfaction must say.

https://www.lazerhelmets.com/product.php?pid=26
Roy likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page