Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Jacket For a Short Guy

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jorjorbinks 
#1 ·
Big Dilema for me... for a 5'5" height like me, where can I buy a motorcycle leather jacket? Jackets that I checked, all of the elbow protectors are near my wrist...FML

#2 ·
Look at custom manufactures. Expensive.

This is not a joke or an insult. Look at women's jackets. Many are exactly the same model as men's just sized smaller. The only one that will know is you. If your ego bothers, cut out the tag. Again, no one but you will know and on that note, FTW. Good luck.

#6 ·
I feel for you, frustraiting when sizes are difficult, one can feel 'discriminated' against.

A couple of thoughts:

I bought a Triumph jacket last winter (love it) but the sizing was really small which surprised me, so I ended up having to return it to get the next one up. Probably not much help but give them a go as it may be worth trying them on.

Also (and I have no idea what I'm talking about here) there may be jacket made for youths which may work for you. I'm think what do these youngsters use when racing etc. May be worth exploring that route.

Either way, the very best of luck to you and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio,

Roy

#7 ·
Also consider alterations. Many years ago I bought some used roadracing leathers and found a local leather shop that shortened the zippered sleeves and made a couple other minor adjustments for me at what I recall to be a very reasonable price.

Interesting side-story: I was quite worried that this older lady I was dealing with might screw up my precious leathers so I gently asked her how much experience she had working on such "important" jobs. Her reply was memorable: She slowly raised her gaze and nonchalantly said, "Well, I've done Evel Knievel's leathers and I suspect his are probably almost as important as yours."

-GPz/Gary

#10 ·
i'd recommend schott nyc jackets as i'm also 5'5". i have the cafecto and the 689H (horsehide) jacket. both fit really well for me. sleeves and overall length as good as i could get besides getting custom made (hate when jackets would be too long and bunch up when i'm sitting on my bike). if there's a store nearby you, i'd suggest you definitely swing by and try on a few. most of their styles really go well with the bobber feel. they are a little pricey, as their all made in usa (NY). but there's a nice rich history behind the company and all their jackets have a lifetime warranty. think they also do make custom sizes too!

also vanson is another company similar to schott. i have one of their wax-cotton jackets (dover). and it fits well also, lengthwise good, although arms are a little long but not too bad.

#14 ·
You could always do a custom order from Bates. I've owned several of their jackets/pants over the years and they are fantastic! Be prepared to spend a lot of money. :|

If you do a custom order from Bates it will last a lifetime . . . unless you grow out of it like I did. :frown2:

#17 ·
Off the peg leathers can be interesting. I'm 6' 3" on the "comfy" side build-wise, and my first leathers were from Hein Gericke when they first came to the UK. The trousers that fitted were about 5-6" too big on the waist, fortunately they zipped to the jacket. They were eventually replaced 10 years ago with bespoke leathers which are incredible...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.