Suitable Touring Clothing - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Suitable Touring Clothing

Evening all,

Iíve never done much in the way of touring, on a bike at least, so if possible need to bring myself up to speed by means of picking your brains!

This again relates to my planned North Coast 500 trip and Eitheril kindly provided me with some decent advice, suggesting that I ought to look into a decent Gore-Tex jacket and trousers.

Iíve never owned such a jacket, having always relied on leather jackets for my ridding needs, but I appreciate its wise to enlist the benefits of a, jack of all trades option. No doubt, Scotland is likely to through all of the major food groups at me as far as weather is concerned... so I need something warm when needs be, well ventilated for warmer days and of course waterproof.

I appreciate as with most things, itíll be a case of it being subjective, but if you could point me in the right direction Iíd really appreciate it. Not only am I looking for all of the above attributes... Iíd rather buy something that compliments the Bobber, (if thatís possible) and to avoid victim options that are considered to be a bit of a joke. Iím really that clueless on this topic so guidance will Iím sure stop me from making a mistake.

Budget wise... £450 or less. Colour wise, preferably more so on the darker/tactical side.

Thanks in advance chaps and you rare ladies amongst us!
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry... I meant Ethariel!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

To keep in Bobber style if you are fashion conscious, no textile suit will fit the bill (looks wise).
I have had everything from Rukka to Aerostich and Dainese; they are all amazing, but would look as strange as a one piece racing suit while riding on the Bobber.
Of course these textiles are optimal when it comes to safety and durability (and dealing with all types of weather).

Anyway, Bobber style touring: I would go for some waterproof, high end (and highly protective) jeans like the ROKKERS with some waterproof/warm classic boots, GOLDTOP waterproof gloves or heated FORGE racers if its cold and a Merlin jacket or some other jacket from the Merlin family. They represent amazing value for money and are really comfortable.
I would also recommend some technical, long underwear that are both wind stoppers and easy to clean/dry. They should also be able to deal with wicking away sweat if the temps rise.
Socks are also vitally important as is a good neckwarmer. Personally, I use 5.11 tactical socks and a revŪt neck warmer/windstopper.
I appreciate that this may go over budget, but budgets are made to be broken and the end result enjoyed.

I also recommend something like THIS when travelling. Always handy to have a small, powerful and portable charger to power your phone/helmet in case of an emergency.

When touring, i always prefer to be too warm rather than too cold and bone dry without rain penetrating my gear.
It is super important to keep your core warm and if the temperature drops alot, i would also look at some kind of windstopper garment under your jacket (i use a Revit). The Bobber offers no wind protection, so i find that my chest, knees and neck can get cold easily.
Forjox and Mike J Commo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
eisen77, I have ever heard of or seen the Merlin Yoxall jacket before. This is a great styling match and value as it’s waterproof! Trying to find a USA retailer is next! Thanks, Jim
eisen77 likes this.

Riding Free
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
To keep in Bobber style if you are fashion conscious, no textile suit will fit the bill (looks wise).
I have had everything from Rukka to Aerostich and Dainese; they are all amazing, but would look as strange as a one piece racing suit while riding on the Bobber.
Of course these textiles are optimal when it comes to safety and durability (and dealing with all types of weather).

Anyway, Bobber style touring: I would go for some waterproof, high end (and highly protective) jeans like the ROKKERS with some waterproof/warm classic boots, GOLDTOP waterproof gloves or heated FORGE racers if its cold and a Merlin jacket or some other jacket from the Merlin family. They represent amazing value for money and are really comfortable.
I would also recommend some technical, long underwear that are both wind stoppers and easy to clean/dry. They should also be able to deal with wicking away sweat if the temps rise.
Socks are also vitally important as is a good neckwarmer. Personally, I use 5.11 tactical socks and a revŪt neck warmer/windstopper.
I appreciate that this may go over budget, but budgets are made to be broken and the end result enjoyed.

I also recommend something like THIS when travelling. Always handy to have a small, powerful and portable charger to power your phone/helmet in case of an emergency.

When touring, i always prefer to be too warm rather than too cold and bone dry without rain penetrating my gear.
It is super important to keep your core warm and if the temperature drops alot, i would also look at some kind of windstopper garment under your jacket (i use a Revit). The Bobber offers no wind protection, so i find that my chest, knees and neck can get cold easily.
Some great info and advice there... thanks brother!
eisen77 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:29 PM

My recommendation is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and just buy a one piece rain suit. Oxford, RST, Richa, just a few examples of brands that do waterproof rain suits for under £50.

Honestly, whenever hitting the road for long periods of time, or touring in your case, I tend to carry my one piece in my 5.11 backpack, rolled up into the size of a small tool roll. (Unbranded, got it for £15 from MCN Festival in 2017) If I feel rain is imminent, I pull over and jump straight into it, takes 2 minutes. It's absolutely perfect, as it's a once piece, so no seems, and you can wear your casual/everyday gear underneath. You'll look rather out of place on the Bobber, regardless of what you go for with adventure/touring gear, as practical textile jackets and trousers don't suit the Bobber, but that's just the compromise you make.

Honestly, a few years back I ran with an Alpinestars Drystar jacket and trousers set up, and I could zip them together, but water would still creep in during severe downpours. One piece every day for me, cheap, you get to wear what you love, and it's truly waterproof. Armor will come down to what you're wearing underneath of course, and for thermals, just good old layers are all you need. A solid investment is a pair of winter gloves, chunky, ugly, but warm. Mixture of textile and leather are the best, I have these, and they're spot on for wind chill and water resistance. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/113953
Any boots that are Goretex lined will keep water out 100%, as long as you have good trousers with a nice seal around the ankle cuff (snap or velcro that you can pull tight). If not, a pair of gaiters won't let you down, Army surplus are dirt cheap.

Last edited by unparalleledltwin; 02-03-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unparalleledltwin View Post
My recommendation is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and just buy a one piece rain suit. Oxford, RST, Richa, just a few examples of brands that do waterproof rain suits for under £50.

Honestly, whenever hitting the road for long periods of time, or touring in your case, I tend to carry my one piece in my 5.11 backpack, rolled up into the size of a small tool roll. (Unbranded, got it for £15 from MCN Festival in 2017) If I feel rain is imminent, I pull over and jump straight into it, takes 2 minutes. It's absolutely perfect, as it's a once piece, so no seems, and you can wear your casual/everyday gear underneath. You'll look rather out of place on the Bobber, regardless of what you go for with adventure/touring gear, as practical textile jackets and trousers don't suit the Bobber, but that's just the compromise you make.

Honestly, a few years back I ran with an Alpinestars Drystar jacket and trousers set up, and I could zip them together, but water would still creep in during severe downpours. One piece every day for me, cheap, you get to wear what you love, and it's truly waterproof. Armor will come down to what you're wearing underneath of course, and for thermals, just good old layers are all you need. A solid investment is a pair of winter gloves, chunky, ugly, but warm. Mixture of textile and leather are the best, I have these, and they're spot on for wind chill and water resistance. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/113953
Any boots that are Goretex lined will keep water out 100%, as long as you have good trousers with a nice seal around the ankle cuff (snap or velcro that you can pull tight). If not, a pair of gaiters won't let you down, Army surplus are dirt cheap.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

I initially considered a simple, cost effective one piece rain suit to slip over the top of what ever Iím wearing, but realised there are inherent short comings. Namely, Iíll be riding with others so canít expect nor would I want them to stop when I do throw it on... especially when they no doubt will be wearing Gore-Tex everything so have no need to stop.

The other issue... the rain can constantly come and go in that part of the world so slipping a one piece on and off would prove tricky and wear thin quickly.

But you are right... textiles really arenít going to look cool or well suited to the Bobber. Thus far Iím keen on the Rokker Revolution waterproof jeans suggested by Eisen... although very expensive! Jacket wise Iím undecided as yet so need to keep researching the options.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Garage
If you want that 'old school look' why not go with a waxed-jacket? There lots of choice and most now come with built in body armour.

Then it's just a case of sorting out your bottom half. Leathers or waterproof jeans I'm sure would be great for a light shower but for prolonged downpours then either of them combined with a set of over-trousers would do the trick, and over-trousers would have the added advantage of being easily stored when the sun's shining. Although knowing Scotland that's probably an unlikely scenario, I have a mate from Aberdeen who claims he never saw the sun until he was five!
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
I think that Merlin jacket (Eisenís suggestion) the Rokker jeans (if, in fact, theyíre waterproof) or another waxed jean with some overpants (I use Klim) and youíll be almost good to go. And youíll look good, too. 😀😀 Waterproof boots, for sure. VERY quick dry base layers, including underwear, will minimize what you have to pack as theyíre incredibly thin and lightweight and dry in a few hours after hand washing. Goretex gloves. Some of this can get pricey particularly if you donít have a lot of this equipment but, if itís going to be wet, I think having this kind of gear can go a long way to preventing having a memorable trip turn miserable.
eisen77 and Mike J Commo like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Some solid advice.. thanks chaps!

Iím definitely better at copping with being too hot as opposed to cold so like the general direction of the suggestions.

But... just how wet is Scotland in July out of interest?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page