Armoured vest with Kevlar shirt over... safe/any good? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Armoured vest with Kevlar shirt over... safe/any good?

Hi all,

Whilst I know some are happy to wear jeans and a t-shirt and maybe a lid... maybe not... (I’m looking at you Americans), I’m certainly more of a dress for the slide kind of guy.

Summer 2018 in the U.K. was exceptional in terms of temps and how many great days of sunshine we were able to enjoy. My current upper body arrangement on a fine summers day consists of a leather motorcycle jacket with certified level 2 D30 armour at the elbows, shoulders and back, with a t-shirt underneath. Whilst I love my leather jacket, it would be nice to have an option that enabled me to feel a little less cooking, especially when off the bike and walking around. Yes I can take the leather off but it’s big and heavy to carry around.

Based on the above I wanted to ask what your thoughts are on a best with level 2 armour, again at the elbows, shoulders and back, paired with a Kevlar shirt over.

Here’s the vest I’m looking at and thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions...

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/374435

Last edited by Mike J Commo; 01-25-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
While the protection etc is great, function over form, looks like it belongs in a Marvel Comic movie!

What about a bikers "jean jacket" or "denim jacket"....

https://www.burnoutmotor.com/en/vint...ue/1466,size,l
Louie likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If I wasn't so "round" in the middle, I'd buy one of these. It gets hot here for sure (Va), and I end up riding in a German fleck camo field jacket (no liner). My leather jacket is way to hot beyond spring. Jeans, helmet and gloves always with some jacket.

The 1st Bobber I saw on the roads around my way was a dude in a t-shirt, shorts, brain bucket and tennis shoes (trainers for you lot in the UK).
Mike J Commo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
While the protection etc is great, function over form, looks like it belongs in a Marvel Comic movie!

What about a bikers "jean jacket" or "denim jacket"....

https://www.burnoutmotor.com/en/vint...ue/1466,size,l
In the U.K. double denim leads to loss of friends or in the worst of cases a good beating I am of course exaggerating, but it isnít considered to be the done thing

I appreciate the vest is a little power ranger-esq but I would never take what ever is covering it off so know one will know itís there. A big bonus of these is the armour is held in exactly the correct place nice and snug, compared the more casual leather jackets that arenít skin tight and so can allow the armour to move/swivel around, especially in the event of an off.

I guess Iíve reached the conclusion of being very happy with the vest itself, given itís superior protection benefits in the armour department, but I need to understand if any of the Kevlar long sleeve shirts provide good abrasion resistance?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage
I wear jeans with Pekev liner and a nice Triumph riding flannel also layered with Pekev. Should be as safe as a leather jacket...
Mike J Commo and Ed_Bobber like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:07 AM

The 1st Bobber I saw on the roads around my way was a dude in a t-shirt, shorts, brain bucket and tennis shoes (trainers for you lot in the UK).[/QUOTE]

That's what we call " an organ donor".

Chico
ysoslo and Mike J Commo like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
In the U.K. double denim leads to loss of friends or in the worst of cases a good beating I am of course exaggerating, but it isnít considered to be the done thing
Don't knock double denim it's making a come back I still prefer leather jackets myself but if you really want something more casual then you're spoilt for choice there's loads of stuff on the market - have you seen the latest jackets from Rev'it?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
Don't knock double denim it's making a come back I still prefer leather jackets myself but if you really want something more casual then you're spoilt for choice there's loads of stuff on the market - have you seen the latest jackets from Rev'it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVaUxcVNA0A
haha double denim coming back... B*witched will be over the moon!

To be fair I do like the look of the tracer 2 black overshirt
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
I like the fact that the armored vest can be underneath regular clothing. My only concern would be how flexible the fabric is, because if the armor shifts when you're crashing it may not go well. I was looking for something a little more casual last Fall and I ran across this site in England. I like their stuff, and wish an American vendor would carry their clothing, so I could try it on before buying and paying shipping across the pond. You may want to check it out though, Mike.

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/shop/new-...e-skin-hoodie/

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/shop/?orderby=price-desc
Bob's_yer_firkin and Ethariel like this.

Each one matters.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
I like the fact that the armored vest can be underneath regular clothing. My only concern would be how flexible the fabric is, because if the armor shifts when you're crashing it may not go well. I was looking for something a little more casual last Fall and I ran across this site in England. I like their stuff, and wish an American vendor would carry their clothing, so I could try it on before buying and paying shipping across the pond. You may want to check it out though, Mike.

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/shop/new-...e-skin-hoodie/

https://www.roadskin.co.uk/shop/?orderby=price-desc
Yep i have owned a roadskin hoodie for about 3 or 4 years now and really happy with it, it's bearable as an occasional in the 35 degree hot summer day we once had, tho it was like riding with a hairdrier in your face even when pushing 140, how those in California bear it I don't know! It's NOT windproof in any way shape or form, if it's not 14 to 15C in the morning it's going to be chilly!

Tried the roadskin jeans but even the 2nd pair sent out as the largest size they do are most certainly not for people with weight issues cant get close fitting my thighs into the jeans let alone bending my knee! Maybe if i lose some 3 or 4 stone i might stand a chance at getting into them!

That said, most kevlar jeans i have owned, the armour gets chucked fairly quickly as they are really a tight cut (with more than half the population overweight you would think they would add a little more material to work with) and compression on my knees after numerous accidents is not my idea of comfort.

(Although I have had comments from several people i don't know with words like C**t and to$$er thrown my way my fully leather clad and sweating to death power rangers for wearing a kevlar hoodie and jeans so watch out for the knobends!)
ysoslo and Ed_Bobber like this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)

Last edited by Ethariel; 01-26-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page