..new bike....new helmet.... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
..new bike....new helmet....

Had been shopping around for a new helmet....it's harder to find a helmet than pick a bike.....

Ordered this today......Nolan N21....black...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NolanN21Duetto_Helmet-With-Visor-1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	529  
Greybeard likes this.
post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Not bad at all, picking a helmet is a tough one for sure. Any reason for not going full face?
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I suffer from the safety, comfort, price, and style dilemma. Full face masks make me feel suffocated. I don't have a long neck either, so from past experience with some full face helmets it affects my range of motion transferring to visibility out of the helmet.

I get that 3/4 are not as safe....that's the dilemma...I want safety, but also want it to be comfortable. I considered modular, but both in modular and full face had a hard time finding something that didn't look like a sci-fy space helmet or that didn't feel restricting in some way.
Treeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM

Garage
I was looking at that lid yesterday while browsing for an open face. I've seen a few videos where the reviewer is wearing a full face and I don't think it suits the bike imho
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
yeah, that's the style dilemma I mentioend..haha...

Ultimately, safety is of the highest concern, but if I am not comfortable in the helmet and don't feel like I have the fill range of view, then that in itself is a safety issue....or maybe just trying to talk myself into accepting the more comfortable helmet.....

The N21 Duo Visor was sold out in the solid colors everywhere. Revzilla just got some back in stock. the black or silver. Was going to go silver....but changed to black at the last minute....I plan on adding some desecrate reflective stickers/tape.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

ooohhh...the helmet dilemma!! I had a hard time choosing too!!! Same goes for jackets

The Nolan should be an excellent helmet & will look great with your Bobber. I hope the wind does not deflect under the visor and cause issues (especially in your eyes).

I have one full face retro for the Bobber and a few 3/4 helmets (all visor-less as i prefer to use them with goggles or bike-spec glasses).
I would agree that the feeling of freedom & sight a 3/4 gives is fantastic compared to a FF. BUT safety is also a definite concern.

Here is my favorite 3/4 - a Davida Speedster V3 (incredibly small, aerodynamic shell and lack of noise/turbulence):

and the Nexx FF (comes with clip on visor, which is a cool piece of kit...):
codykday likes this.

Last edited by eisen77; 03-27-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage
"Dress for the slide, not for the ride".

Anyone who uses it who dear to google "3/4 helmet face slide", "half helmet impact" and such things?

It may look good for the ladies, but it should prove harder to pick up chicks when you look like the idiot in a horror movie.

post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I have seen them. Pretty gruesome. Have also seen a family friends head detached from his body still inside his FF helmet, end of a gaurd rail got him back in St. Louis. (Was a kid at the time so pretty scary). Kept me off street bikes for most of my life. Riding dirt bikes (trail not motocross) for years got me wanting to street ride. Completely agree FF is safest but I think there is risk in riding period.

And could give two winks about looking good for anyone, my wife of 18 years ain't gonna get excited about my fat head in a helmet be it brain bucket or astronaut helmet.

If I was commuting and what not on a bike I would be more inclined to go FF, most of all I want to do is putt on the country roads out where I live.

And I def don't agree with not wearing a helmet at all. If I lived in a state that allowed that, I would still at the very least use a 3/4.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:41 PM

This took a dark turn. Yes, there is an inherent risk in riding motorcycles and sometimes even a full face helmet won't be able to save you, but we do our best and I would prefer to go full face even if it doesn't match the aesthetics of the bike.

The Nexx FF seems like a good compromise between safety and style, just a pain to put the visor on or pull it off when it gets too hot. There's also something like the Simpson Street Bandit which may be a good fit.
Anders Kanten and Harryk like this.
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

The Nexx´s visor is extremely easy to take off. But the question is WHERE to put it once off
It can also be moved to let some air in when at a standstill (easier to do with 2 hands)

Here are some pics...

Bobby, Ghostnote and codykday like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page