AGV & Merlin - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

AGV & Merlin

The temperature is starting to drop here in Mallorca, so I decided to try out a new full face helmet and warm/insulated wax jacket.

While (still) waiting for my Hedon due mid December, I thought I would order my first ever AGV; it’s the X3000 model in grey/black. I’ve read some very good reviews with no negative comments or major flaws. I was looking for a retro style helmet with wide visor/aperture & minimum air flow that I can close off if necessary (unlike the Bell Bullitt). Also, the interior looks very well made with no weird stitching or pressure points on the forehead area (agin, like the Bullitt which I had to cut and modify the inner liner).
I also ordered a dark visor to protect my big blue eyes from when the sun decides to
come out...

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/agv-x30...ey-yellow.html

The Scottish made Merlin Yoxall jacket looks really nice & it too got rave reviews everywhere I looked. Sizing is a bit of an issue with Merlin, so I decided to try out a size Large for my 44” chest. That’s what Urban Rider recommended despite the size chart saying I should be an XL.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/merlin-...ket-black.html

Both items should be here by the end of the week, so I’ll update once I’ve had a chance to test them out.

Until then, stay warm and ride safe...
Bobber-Bomb and Freddy like this.

Last edited by eisen77; 11-04-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:23 AM

Garage
Looking forward to that AGV review, Eisen. Iíve narrowed down my search for a retro full face to the AGV x3000 but, canít pull the trigger until Iím back in the States. As youíve said, the reviews have been consistently good with maybe the only downside is no cutouts for comms inside. (But my Shoei fills that void). Love the Bullittís but, theyíre just too noisy at speed (why Bell canít fix that is a mystery). Saw that thereís now a Gringo S, which looks great and is much improved from the basic model but, I think it still cuts too many corners. So, AGV it might be and I may have to deal with that too obvious logo on the front.
ysoslo likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hi Jerrman,
I totally agree that the Logo is a real eyesore!
My wife asked why they couldnít put it somewhere less ďin your faceĒ.
But I figure that once itís on, I wonít be able to see it anyway

Iíll let you know about fit/finish/noise, etc once I get it. Weather is looking nice for the coming week, so I hope to be able to do a long test ride.
Freddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Garage
Nice helmet and jacket.
eisen77 likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM

I have had the AGV X3000 Black/Grey for about 6 months and I'm very happy with it. Its comfortable and comms are very easy to install as nearly all the liner it removable so cables are easily routed and hidden. Also there is a lip running around the bottom of the liner which is really handy for attaching clip on comm devices.

Here are a couple of pictures, in the last picture you might be able to make out one of the speakers installed in my helmet.

My only complaint with the x3000 is that it could be more quiet, but I can forgive that as otherwise I find it very comfortable.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for those pics. It’s makes me even happier that I ordered the grey as it looks classy and understated. It’s impossible to see the true color in all the ad/glossy photos online.
The liner looks super comfy.

I won’t be installing comms as I use Bluetooth in-ear headphones or earplugs to protect from noise. But it’s nice to know they it can be fitted if required.

Last edited by eisen77; 11-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Garage
Yes, agree that itís good to that the speakers fit in there as that was one of my reservations (I must have misunderstood the Revzilla review, thinking you couldnít fit them in). As far as being somewhat noisy, if itís better than the Bell Bullitt, Iíll probably be ok with it. I found after awhile the Bullitt was so noisy on the highway, I was having trouble hearing directions from my Sena. Hopefully, the AGV does a better job. My Shoei does an A+ job on that score but, of course itís not a retro design. Thanks for the pix.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My AGV arrived this morning and it looks very bit as good (if not better) in person than in the pics.
The interior is so luxurious compared to the Bell Bullitt and though I didn’t have a chance to ride, I did wear it around the house. No discernible/ugly indentations or marks nor pressure points.

The visor gives the same (or a tiny bit less) viewing aperture as the Bullitt. That is very good thing, as I love the massive and open view the Bullitt provides.

It should be noted that the helmet is TIGHT when putting it on (much like the Hedon Heroine). But once on, it feels great ! Also, the chin area is cut relatively high (purposely to copy Agostini’s style), so may not provide the overall protection some riders are looking for. Saying that, the Bullitt is also cut high but not as much as the AGV.

I have a 55/56cm head and the S is spot on. I think it’s built for intermediate oval shape heads and rounder heads might find it a bit of a squeeze. But that’s just my personal opinion and not fact.

I’ll go out for a ride tomorrow - with & without ear protection to see how noise levels are.

First impressions are excellent and I hope the X3000 continues to impress on my ride.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Looks great with the dark visor
eisen77 likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM

Very pretty and shiny. Hope it works for you, looks good with your bike.

Chico
eisen77 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page