PSI Issues? Nice Piece Of Kit - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
PSI Issues? Nice Piece Of Kit

Hi Chaps,

When I popped into my dealer the other week during a general inspection they noted my tyre pressure was way down Not sure of the issue, temp/altitude changes etc. etc.

However I recall someone had recommended a pro bike pump, so along with a tyre gauge I ordered them.

I must say I just tried this out and it works really well, very compact and easy to use, so won't be leaving the house without it. A great piece of kit for little money.

Thanks to whoever suggested this - forget who..

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.00.02 PM.png
Views:	128
Size:	635.9 KB
ID:	28213  
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:43 AM

oh yeah, must have been me. i picked one up early on to manually add air. glad it's working out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdannygunz View Post
was tired of having to keep bringing out my car air compressor to top off tires, so just picked up one of these small compact hand pumps (basically a bicycle pump - but works on motorcycles). i like that it's compact (about 8 inches, when all closed up) so it's easy to keep in my bag or i'm sure it would fit in like a swingarm bag. it even comes with a mount, if you'd want to mount it somewhere on the bike. it also has a built in gauge that will get you in the ballpark (however the markings are so small that it's hard to determine accurate readings, so you'll still need a proper tire gauge for that) the tube twists on and off and also fits inside the whole unit for ultra compactness. i tried it out and it works well. does take a little effort but not bad. estimated roughly about 15-20 pumps to add 1 ft/lb of air pressure.
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...essures-4.html

recently though i purchased one of these handheld battery powered compressors, and so far has worked really well and pretty compact (can easily fit in a small bag or swingarm bag. the one i bought was the brand oasser, but looks like it's not offered on amazon for some reason anymore. however as it's battery powered you just have to remember to charge it every so often. also you can try getting one of these valve tools and tighten up the valve stems a little as i found it helped in reducing the air loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	28225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.33.39 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	28227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.33.32 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	28229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.30.32 PM.png
Views:	58
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	28231  
Roy likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Tubes can lose 2-3 psi a week , doesn't take long for that to be a low tire. And , you typically lose 1/2 pound every time you check them. I use a digital gauge , that's when I came to that little realization.
gfspencer and Roy like this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks Gents,

All really great info. I'm actually pleased to hear a few PSI can be lost weekly as I have these horrible spiky seed pods around here. They are like the devils seeds and really hurt if you step on one. Every time I ride back up our drive and end up pulling them out of the tyre with pliers. You just can't get rid of them. I was worried they were causing the air loss but likely they are too small.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
Iíve definitely noticed a little more air loss than in my Indian tires (virtually none)íwhich are tubeless. So, Iíve taken to using one of those small inexpensive air compressors from Home Depot and usually do a quick air check when ever Iím going on a decent ride. Of course thatís a plug-in which I keep in the garage. Not much help if you were on the road.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Garage
The oasser still on Amazon this side of the pond

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Infl...ir+Compressors
eisen77 and Roy like this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
The oasser still on Amazon this side of the pond

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Infl...ir+Compressors
wierd how it's somehow vanished in the amazon u.s. site.

wanted to really test it out so, just used it today to put air in my suv's tires as they were all a tad low so added about 2 psi per tire (to get to 38psi) plus my full size spare which needed about 6psi. the oasser did it's job, but by the last tire, i noticed the tube and nozzle got extremely hot (almost too hot to touch). didn't run out of battery though, which is what i was also testing out to see. but it's more for like a a couple pounds on a tire or two in reality which is perfect for the bobber. will most likely stick to my more heavy duty compressor for my trucks tires.

because of the slow air leak most of us experience with our bikes, i've gotten into the good habit of always checking the tires pressure before each ride which is now second nature to me. it's also nice having the confidence/assurance everytime i ride that the tires are at their optimum pressure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:42 AM

Negative banter about tire pressure:

My brother has a 2017 Thruxton, and my other ride is a tube frame 1999 Buell Cyclone 1200, both pretty nimble mounts and light to throw around.

Now my Bobber Black from dealer floor day one felt reasonable heavy up front with confusing front end feedback....... it had been a couple of months since my test ride. The stark contrast in handling characteristics I casually dismissed, attributing more to the geometry, physical size and weight of the front rim and tyre combo, WRONG ASSUMPTION. When I finally got around to checking tyre pressure, discovered both front and rear underinflated, just less than 20 pounds in each.

So much for dealer pre-delivery checks..........then of course none of our local gas stations pumps had a barb end that would couple up to the tube valve behind the disc rotors from any angle. So, I sat it out and ordered a couple cheap Chinese crap quality 270 degree angled valve adapters for $8.00. Probably why the lazy dealer couldn't be bothered to check pressures, too lazy to fumble around.

And on another note, after the ride home from first service noticed a weep of oil trailing along on the sump. Again, dealer incompetence or neglect.....Looks like Service Dpt omitted to replace the crumple washer!!!!!

Last edited by Retro Rocket 48; 10-12-2018 at 03:45 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

I had the same issue.
Front tire was WOEFULLY and dangerously low on delivery day.
Now I check them both before every ride.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Garage
Was booked at Watlings for a new front tomorrow, had a check of the rear as usual (seems to always lose air, even after changing the tube) and thought while i had mankey hands i might as well check the front....... 19psi.........

No need to go to watlings for a new front it no longer treats white lines like ice.

Never had an issue with the front before, for a year of checking it, it never dropped a psi, still up hard so it's not a leak, just a reminder, check em both and often!
ysoslo likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page