Why you need to buy helmets from a shop not online... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Why you need to buy helmets from a shop not online...

As mentioned elsewhere I took a ride to one of the best clothing shops in the UK - Hideout Leathers - today. Reason: I need a new helmet, and had just seen an offer from an online supplier that tempted me towards the Schuberth C4. I have had a C3 for the past 9 years, and apart from hot weather ventilation, have loved it. I was amazed how different the fit was and basically that kicked it into touch for me. What was even more interesting, the reason I went for the Schuberth years ago, was that my "go to" brand, Shoei, had changed their shell shape, and they no longer fitted. Of course, I tried a Shoei Neotec II and the fit is more like it.

Glad I didn't spend money on line....

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Fully agree, and it's a major PITA for me. I have a large, rather long head.
Most XL helmets used to fit a decade ago, some of them being tight on the forehead, but no big issues.

When I tried to get a new helmet last year, I had to try about 40 different helmets at a handful of shops and a few online returns until I found one that fit! I was told that this is due to new safety regulations and tighter fit. Could not get into Shoei, not even XXL. Tried a few more exotic ones, even up to 3XL - I could either not get in, or the helmets were just too large.
Finally found that the Bell Star Carbon in XXL fit perfectly, and it's pretty light (about 1400g) because of carbon. Great helmet, but windy and noisy as ****. I would not want to ride this in winter and I started using earplugs for longer rides now, which I never considered before.

I was looking at the Schuberth C4, too. Tried it in the shop (they had it in 60-62) and it almost fit. Just a bit tight, but not bad otherwise. Ordered it online, one size larger.
Turned out totally different. This one was too tight at the forehead and neck, while too loose at the top.
Then tried the next gen Bell Star to see if it less noisy, and found that Bell slighty changed the shape, it is tighter around the neck and while the rest fits perfect, the neck strap hurts after a short time.

So I ordered another Bell Star Carbon which was on sale now (old model) and am keeping it as future replacement for my current helmet, since I don't know if I will find another fitting one.

I fully agree with what you say. The shapes changed a lot, but I found out that shapes even fundamentally change between sizes. Finding a matching helmet is like playing the lottery today, and my personal problem is that most shops only stock S/M/L sizes, very little XL, and typically no XXL at all.

Tom
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
I think some of the good online retailers will let you exchange. But, it is a bit of a hassle with a helmet. I agree about a bricks and mortar for helmets since you might want to try different models and brands -as the fit is so different. I recently ended my love affair with a Bell Bullitt when it just packed out too much and at speed it wobbled and I had trouble hearing my Sena GPS instructions (which considering my total lack of any sense of direction, desperately need). Bought a Shoei in a small and after a couple of try on days struggling immensely to get it off my head, (why I didn’t really notice this in the store is a mystery) went back and exchanged it for a medium. No hassle, no downtime and no return shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you.
However here in more ďremoteĒ places like Palma, bike shops are limited and stock/choice even more so. And when something is in stock, itís usually way overpriced.
I would like nothing more than to support the bike shops, but when they tell you that you MUST purchase a helmet once ordered to try in (my) size - itís very off putting.
So my go to place is FCMOTO.
Amazing to deal with, great prices, very quick delivery and easy exchange policy. More often than not, I order two sizes and return the one I donít need. The refund is immediate once they receive the unwanted item back.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
Last shoei i has was (venerable now) a TF280, loved it, then I ran into your issue, every other one from Shoei after that didn't fit. They had changed the basic shell shape.

I went into a Motorcycle city and asked the salesman to go grab 15 or 20 Mediums and keep them coming till i found one that was comfortable, 3 helmets in and I told him I'd take it. Arai Quantum (bout the 3rd most expensive in the shop damnit) but it fitted like a glove, been wearing Arai ever since.

As an aside to Lordblobo - Arai will do you a custom lid made to fit, not cheap but that's one way you can go.
gfspencer likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:04 PM

After years of trying different helmets I finally figured out that an Arai Signet was the helmet for me. Sometimes I buy on-line and sometimes I buy at the motorcycle dealership. It depends on who gives me the best price and the best service.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, picked up the XXL Neotec II very comfortable so far, bit of a fiddle to get the Sena comms in, but now done... Probably go out for a ride a bit later for a test...
eisen77 and jerrman like this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
Well, picked up the XXL Neotec II very comfortable so far, bit of a fiddle to get the Sena comms in, but now done... Probably go out for a ride a bit later for a test...
I put the Sena into my Bell Bullitt with some fiddling but, when I moved to a Shoei RF1200, the dealer I bought it from put it in (no cost). Way easier Another reason for me to buy a helmet in person.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
I put the Sena into my Bell Bullitt with some fiddling but, when I moved to a Shoei RF1200, the dealer I bought it from put it in (no cost). Way easier Another reason for me to buy a helmet in person.
Spot on that man!

I have been using a headset for years, started with wired and graduated to BT. On buying a new lid I always asked 'Easy to fit the comms?' and always got a yes from the salesman, sometimes the look on thier face when you say 'Great, i'll pop out for a coffee while you swap it over for me then thanks'

Motorcycle City that became Infininity, then Hein Gerike (or however you spell it) and lastly (no i don't buy bikes or get servicing there, you think i'm daft or something?) Metropolis in Vauxhall - i really cant fault thier clothing/parts section at all, got me a monster sidepod for a 7 year old arai in 24h!

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, my feedback on the Neotec 2... On a very hot day, excellent ventilation, and VERY comfortable, not happy with the way I've had to put the side skirt stuff in, so back to the dealer in a couple of weeks to sort that, apart from learning to use the Sena SRL, it's very clear relaying GPS instructions... Very happy... For £736 total I guess I should be!!!

Larry

Essex UK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page